Radeon VII: Buy first, read reviews later

I would agree as well, but NDA. Wouldn't want a poor review to ruin the out of stock first day sales, while I like AMD more than nVidia, and I think you should let your numbers do your selling, it's still smart business sense to not allow numbers until the day of launch to get those "hype" sales.

By the time you read the reviews, it will be sold out!

I hope not. I'm interested in the card, but not before i see official reviews. That's why I'm hoping the rumors about limited stock are false. I need to upgrade my RX480.

I think op IS 100% CORRECT!! Buy it asap it goes online and then just return it if your not happy.....We already know it be about 25% faster than a vega64 and has twice the ram. Shit read the review while your waiting on the dam package to come:)

I think op IS 100% CORRECT!! Buy it asap it goes online and then just return it if your not happy.....We already know it be about 25% faster than a vega64 and has twice the ram. Shit read the review while your waiting on the dam package to come:)

The country i live in doesn't have the option to return something if i change my mind. If it's faulty then yes that's not a problem. We have laws that are better than maufaturers warranties. But not simply because we are unhappy with a product.

Let me spoil the reviews for you:

It is faster than the 2080 in DX12 and vulkan titles by 5-10%.

It is slower than the 2080 in DX11/OGL titles by about 5-10%.

It pulls over 300w of power from the wall.

It is not that loud but it runs really hot.

It can't overclock very well.

I don't think you will be far off there. Although isn't the 2080 doing quite well in DX12 and Vulkan these days.

The country i live in doesn't have the option to return something if i change my mind. If it's faulty then yes that's not a problem. We have laws that are better than maufaturers warranties. But not simply because we are unhappy with a product.
well you should be able to resell it for amount paid since like always all stores will sell out ......i have sold stuff here in 30 min time of making a fs thread

well you should be able to resell it for amount paid since like always all stores will sell out ......i have sold stuff here in 30 min time of making a fs thread
Yeah there is some truth to that if it is really sold out then you can even ask more for it ;)
I don't think you will be far off there. Although isn't the 2080 doing quite well in DX12 and Vulkan these days.
The Radeon 7 might hold some value after a year or longer due to the compute side of things if something on the gaming side comes along that is interesting...

While most of that is likely true, the 300w thing is likely going to be able to be addressed just like V56/V64 through undervolting. I was able to eek about 15% increase in perf on my V56 by flashing a V64 bios, then kept within a 12-13% increase by undervolting and hitting (card only) wattage of ~135-160w (Destiny 2 @ 120-140fps) 170-180w (FF XV @ 80-100fps) and a similar 170-180w (3DMark benchmarks) when it was pulling 210-220+W with the stock V56 bios and settings. While it's 7nm, it's still Vega and will likely (hopefully) be able to take advantage of it similarly, drop 100MHz and some voltage off the GPU and add 100MHz to the memory with a small drop in voltage to keep performance nearly the same with a nice drop in power usage and temps.

It'll be fun to play with at the very least and see if they respond well in the same way old Vega did with this type of tinkering/tweaking.

As Pieter said, could be interesting if they take advantage of compute more; but the same can be said for DLSS for nVidia, it's really promising if it gets the attention it needs.

This is my assessment as well. They just can't get that power envelope under control in GCN chips of this size, never could since Hawaii.

All in all, it's a gap filler for AMD and won't be attractive to folks who already have a 1080Ti or higher.

While most of that is likely true, the 300w thing is likely going to be able to be addressed just like V56/V64 through undervolting. I was able to eek about 15% increase in perf on my V56 by flashing a V64 bios, then kept within a 12-13% increase by undervolting and hitting (card only) wattage of ~135-160w (Destiny 2 @ 120-140fps) 170-180w (FF XV @ 80-100fps) and a similar 170-180w (3DMark benchmarks) when it was pulling 210-220+W with the stock V56 bios and settings. While it's 7nm, it's still Vega and will likely (hopefully) be able to take advantage of it similarly, drop 100MHz and some voltage off the GPU and add 100MHz to the memory with a small drop in voltage to keep performance nearly the same with a nice drop in power usage and temps.

It'll be fun to play with at the very least and see if they respond well in the same way old Vega did with this type of tinkering/tweaking.

As Pieter said, could be interesting if they take advantage of compute more; but the same can be said for DLSS for nVidia, it's really promising if it gets the attention it needs.

I'm more interested if the registry hack that allows 1st gen Vega to consume 500+ watts is going to apply to this new Vega. Bring out the MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE AAAAAAAAAAA

Why do I have a feeling AMD's site will be doing the ol' 404 Not found due to traffic tomorrow??

This is getting a bit easy isn't it?

We can certainly hope for better than average, but I think you nailed AMD's average pretty well there.

Not waiting till 2020 for a decent navi plus it's still damn GCN.

sounds like the Radeon 7 will be on par with the RTX 2080 with no RT or DLSS features and around the same price point...I don't see why anyone would get the Radeon 7 over the 2080

Is everyone hammering AMD.com with F5 bombs or something? The website is getting absolutely HAMMERED.

Edit: Nevermind, website is back up. :)

Meanwhile in the UK

Attachments

• Sapphire-Radeon-VII-OverclokersUK.jpg
    Sapphire-Radeon-VII-OverclokersUK.jpg
    702.9 KB · Views: 0

It would be funner if they dropped power usage and increased clock speed so we can actually do some overclocking instead of "GASP" downclocking :D

sounds like the Radeon 7 will be on par with the RTX 2080 with no RT or DLSS features and around the same price point...I don't see why anyone would get the Radeon 7 over the 2080

So you can not run ray tracing on the single game it supports or have access to DLSS which how many games _now_ support? But wait I heard that a benchmark out there now supports DLSS , guessing you can run that in a loop to satisfy yourself.
Maybe it is time for:
#waitfor_Ray_Tracing
#waitfor_DLSS

So you can not run ray tracing on the single game it supports or have access to DLSS which how many games _now_ support? But wait I heard that a benchmark out there now supports DLSS , guessing you can run that in a loop to satisfy yourself.
Maybe it is time for:
#waitfor_Ray_Tracing
#waitfor_DLSS

Oh man, those last 2 lines are pure Gold. You made my day with that.

Maybe it is time for:
#waitfor_Ray_Tracing
#waitfor_DLSS

the $700 price is my main issue with the new Radeon...if HBM2 is so expensive then what will the price be when they actually add RTX/DLSS to these cards?...$900 for mid-range?...what happened to AMD being the value leader?...in the past even though their cards didn't match Nvidia's high end offerings they would always compete with price...now we have AMD still not matching Nvidia yet charging the same...even though RTX/DLSS is pretty much non-existent, at least the 2000 series has those features on the card to justify the price...and for the record I also think the 2000 series is not worth it and I've been advocating waiting for next gen RTX cards because of the lack of games and early adoption factor of the technology

the $700 price is my main issue with the new Radeon...if HBM2 is so expensive then what will the price be when they actually add RTX/DLSS to these cards?...$900 for mid-range?...what happened to AMD being the value leader?...in the past even though their cards didn't match Nvidia's high end offerings they would always compete with price...now we have AMD still not matching Nvidia yet charging the same...even though RTX/DLSS is pretty much non-existent, at least the 2000 series has those features on the card to justify the price...and for the record I also think the 2000 series is not worth it and I've been advocating waiting for next gen RTX cards because of the lack of games and early adoption factor of the technology

ray tracing and dlss will be software implemented not added hardware to support it. and the price is still competitive.. MSRP is 100 dollars less than the 2080 and trades blows with it.. if anything bitch at nvidia for their ridiculous pricing allowing AMD to price radeon 7 where it is. if the 2080 was 700 they'd of most likely priced it at 600 to make sure it sold.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
ray tracing and dlss will be software implemented not added hardware to support it

So you're fine with 0.5FPS, then?

and the price is still competitive.. MSRP is 100 dollars less than the 2080 and trades blows with it

It's the same price...

if anything bitch at nvidia for their ridiculous pricing allowing AMD to price radeon 7 where it is. if the 2080 was 700 they'd of most likely priced it at 600 to make sure it sold.

If the 2080 was any cheaper, AMD wouldn't have rebranded a compute product for consumer use.

Reviews are flowing. TPU pretty much gave it a T-PU review. Was pretty brutal on the numbers. Did not get any award from them at all.

Reviews are flowing. TPU pretty much gave it a T-PU review. Was pretty brutal on the numbers. Did not get any award from them at all.
Well that is the same website which championed the Nvidia required cons that the product does not have CUDA cores ;) .

Back