radeon sucks on CS and HL

Back when I played, I had 100FPS solid at 1600x1200 with my 9800 pro. Nice shit. Radeons have no problems, and I use 3.4's.

im using 3.10's, and i ahve a radeon 9600 pro and i am having problems with cs/half life. I tried all that was suggested in this forum (the ati console commands, reinstalling dx9) and on optimal performance with vsync off my fps is still dropping below 90 when popping out behind walls, etc and also there is this .1sec freeze load too. When I had my geforce 2 mx, i always kept a solid 100 fps unless in smoke. There is definately something wrong. Anyone else have a clue?

Originally posted by Nexx
my FX 5800 would dip into the 50's with that many smokes. I doubt my 9800 would hit below that.

It must be settings that are differing =\ I got a 9800 pro and well , I can get it to crawl like a baby in CS with a lot of smokes. Just funny to see that happen , other then that I get great FPS in a lot of games. Been playing COD a lot and have my AA and AF turned up and it's running smooth. Through enough smokes and you'll do it :p

a geforce 4 mx works faster then a radeon 9600 pro in cs...
but i guess it doesnt matter as 30 fps is more then enough to play that game... that too people prefer playing in 640*480 as things look bigger et all...

play cs at 60fps is more than enough for me.... i ran 75fps on my old fx5600nu card....use to be 60fps until i changed my refresh rate to 75hz. Im getting my radeon 9700pro ....and CS is the main game i play...next to UT2k3

Playing with developer 1 can really screw with your feel of the game, I dont know if any of you play CS seriously as in competitivly such as CPL or CAL, but I like to and its very apprent to me with my hardware that when I use dev 1 it really changes how the aiming feels aswell as movement.

If you dont notice anything then dont take anything I say as true, but I know im not just paranoid as many other people who have tried dev 1 and fps_max 300 have told me that their aiming has gotten poorer and just felt odd.

Do you guys have reccomendations for a G4 4200?
for the Cl_updaterate and Cl_cmdrate

depends on the server mainly, but try to keep it as high as u can.
Best setting are 101 101 and rate 20000

First of all cl_updaterate and cl_cmdrate as well as rate has nothing to do at all with your videocard. It has to do with your connection speed. If you have cable connection set rate to 9999...the other 2 you have to toy with a bit...it does affect your aiming because its the rate it refreshes where players are at, at any given time ect ect. i have mine set to 40 both rates.

well thats why ur a noob :D rate should be 20000, and cl commands should 101 101, if u get choke lower ur updarate...

yah the r300+ cores have problems with half life big deal.

that game is old anyways! :D

i run cs at a full 100 fps on my 9800 pro... runs fine... i did have problems though on older p4 generation motherboards but i think the problem was that my agp slot was 2x :) but anyways feel free to PM me since im a hardcore cs person ill tell u everything u need to know about it i been in cs for 4 years

EDIT: update ur cat drivers that will help... i saw a difference when i went from the old cat driver to the newest one (dont know actual names lol)

Wow, ok, well I only get 71fps. But it's weird because it A)doesn't seem like 71 and B)no matter what I always get it. I let down 20+ smoke grednades, while there where 10 or so bodies on screen, bullets flying, HE grenades everything and flashbangs and I was running and shooting and it' stayed a 71 and would occasionlly jump to 80 but it would promptly go back down.

simple fact is no ati cards have no problem with the games. its user error cuz on my system i get around 300fps lol and runs perfect

p3.0 oc'ed to 3.7ghz 1 gig of corsair pc4000 radeon 9800pro oc'ed and blah blah blah

Originally posted by Phantum
Wow, ok, well I only get 71fps. But it's weird because it A)doesn't seem like 71 and B)no matter what I always get it. I let down 20+ smoke grednades, while there where 10 or so bodies on screen, bullets flying, HE grenades everything and flashbangs and I was running and shooting and it' stayed a 71 and would occasionlly jump to 80 but it would promptly go back down.

type max_fps 99 in console

SOunds more like a motherboard AGP driver problem than the videoocard, specially the stuttering. Like the card is just idle waiting for data for a brief second.

A lot of people seem to be getting way off topic on this one. This thread has nothing to do with ingame network settings. He is saying that he gets horrible fps in games with an ATI card. I know how he feels because I have a 9800Pro and my framerate will drop under my vsync lock at 100fps. It's horrible looking and shouldn't happen on a 9800Pro with a little blood and a few models on the screen.

Another thing is I'm tired of people trying to get framerate over the refreshrate of their monitor. If you are trying to get more frames than your monitor refreshrate you obviously don't know what you are doing and need to stop there. Also, I recommend you have vsync on because the quality "on screen" is horrible with it off due to "tearing" as explained previously. AND NO, YOU AREN'T GOING TO SEE ANYTHING FASTER IF YOU HAVE VSYNC OFF. As a lot of CS'ers would say, "GG nubs" - but I choose to look beyond that and give everyone who didn't know a notion of performance and quality from their cherished computers.

if you do cl_updaterate and cl_cmdrate you should set them to 100 not 101...101 in half-life is confused with impulse 101 and the server will think you are trying to cheat so 101 will change it to [default] so i would set it to 100

Originally posted by Mikey20
if you do cl_updaterate and cl_cmdrate you should set them to 100 not 101...101 in half-life is confused with impulse 101 and the server will think you are trying to cheat so 101 will change it to [default] so i would set it to 100

both of those settings are user/connection specific. By connection I mean each users line not ADSL/CABLE

People need to stop copying others settings and work out their own.

Originally posted by warch1ld
well thats why ur a noob :D rate should be 20000, and cl commands should 101 101, if u get choke lower ur updarate...
Up it to what?

Back