radeon sucks on CS and HL

ATI cards do have some problems on cs/half life....just try downloading the new drivers and patches, and did you set the graphics to OPENGL or DIRECT 3D in the opions?

In console, make sure you enter in these commands:

fps_max 300
ati_npatch 0
ati_subdiv 0
developer 1 (you must type this everytime you launch CS, but it helps for smaller maps, as it uncaps the 100fps limit.)

I dont know what you guys mean, I have always used ATI cards and have NEVER had any problems with CS or HL...maybe I am just lucky.

Well me personally i haven't even tryed a radeon card im thinking of getting a R9600XT to replace my FX5600nu. I just hear sooo many complaints from ati users having problems with CS.

this could be due to user error (i.e. not uninstalling the nvidia dets completely). I would wager a clean reformat will have you seeing things differently, assumign you didn't already.

think where ATI was when HL came out? not at the top therefore the game was built for nvidia cards really

1600x1200 4xAA 16xAF Best Quality in drivers and in game.

Never a hiccup. Both rigs in sig.

... a clean reformat will have you seeing things differently, .....

This isn't a personal attack on anyone, and it could be considered borderline off topic.

I see this reformat advice a lot. I know this is the worst case cure-all method (which by the way has been around since MS-DOS 1.0), but not really necessary in most cases. There's always a way to fix almost anything without going down the clean reformat route in win2k and XP anyway. The web is a treasure chest for troubleshooters. The tools is out there.

I think this comes up more often for people that enjoy serious overclocking of every clock on their machine. In those cases you probably have more file corruption than the average Joe, so there are not as many options. But, as much as people like to complain about Windows, it really is darn forgiving and not all that difficult to repair.

Sorry, I'll go back in my cave now.

Originally posted by _Korruption_
In console, make sure you enter in these commands:

fps_max 300
ati_npatch 0
ati_subdiv 0
developer 1 (you must type this everytime you launch CS, but it helps for smaller maps, as it uncaps the 100fps limit.)
I hope you realize that any FPS above your refresh rate means nothing, you cant see the difference. I'm not talking about a "most people can't tell" kind of thing, there physically is no difference, because the monitor is not updating fast enough to show what frame the video card has just rendered.

soo i think the highest refresh rate on my monitor i can set is 1027x768 32bit 100hz ....so i should not get anything over 100FPS on CS

Originally posted by Glottis
I hope you realize that any FPS above your refresh rate means nothing, you cant see the difference. I'm not talking about a "most people can't tell" kind of thing, there physically is no difference, because the monitor is not updating fast enough to show what frame the video card has just rendered.

You can see a difference.
The monitor refresh is not perfectly timed with frame renderings, which explains the visual tearing when Vsync (Vertical Synchronization) is not used.

When Vsync is not used, higher FPS rendering will have smaller differences between each frame. Monitors refresh from top to bottom, using lines from the most current frame in memory.

And in theory, humans have a slightly lower bound (I have heard around 40fps?) for percieving frames per second, but there are small time variables between the monitor updates and when your brain percieves them, which is why you see a flicker in low refresh-rate situations.

So all in all, your best experience is when you can get a constant FPS with Vsync in high refresh rate (I like 100hz on my monitor, but it varies between each person usually between 80-120hz).

Since that isn't very attainable, your next best bet is 100hz with high FPS and no Vsync, followed by ~85hz with constant FPS and Vsync. The best results follow that pattern, untill you are down to playing Rocket Arena in lowest quality so you can get a decent FPS rating, because you are too cheap to buy a new GPU, which is another rant entirely.

Doesn't it stand to reason that, eventually, you won't be able to play old-assed games on new hardware?

Why, yes. Yes it does.

And, NO, I don't care how many people are still playing HL-based games online (primarily CS). Manufacturers can't give you backward compatibility forever.

Besides, Mikey, going from a 5600 to a 9600 isn't that much of an upgrade. Were I you, I'd stick it out a while longer and get more for your money.

Originally posted by Mikey20
wtf is this?! radeon cards run like shit on cs?

I got the same shit fps problem but it was solved after i installed cat's 3.10 and reinstalled directx.

Originally posted by Hal|9k
Doesn't it stand to reason that, eventually, you won't be able to play old-assed games on new hardware?

Why, yes. Yes it does.

And, NO, I don't care how many people are still playing HL-based games online (primarily CS). Manufacturers can't give you backward compatibility forever.

So you like throwing out all the games you had before when buying new hardware? Maybe you should buy Xbox/Psx2 instead of pc.
When I buy new video card I want it to be capable of running all games even if they are as old as centurion or ufo 1.

Originally posted by Michaelius
So you like throwing out all the games you had before when buying new hardware?
Who said that? Certainly wasn't me.

When I buy new video card I want it to be capable of running all games even if they are as old as centurion or ufo 1.
I think the saying goes something like, "Want in one hand..." :p

If you want to run five year old games with absolutely no issue, try three or four year old hardware/software/firmware. Those of us who like new technology will most likely refuse to be hobbled by the wants of those who hang on, tooth and nail, to ancient (in computer years) software. Yeah, Battlezone was the single greatest PC game ever created* but I'm not going to expect to be able to load it with the latest hardware and drivers, not to mention OS and DX version without problems. Yes, I can make it work but not without jumping through some hoops. Do I bitch about that and demand support from the industry? Hell, no. You know why? Because it's freaking OLD.

Feel free to want whatever, but at least be reasonable about it.

*My opinion, of course. Also the truth. ;)

The only game I really play is CS, I get 100fps solid at 1024x768 4X AA, 16X AF, in smoke. Only thing I hate about ATI is that they dont have Digital Vibrance feature like the Nvidia cards do. Colors looks really washed out compared to my Nvidia cards :(

About a year and a half ago, I tried to play Starflight on my new 2.0 GHz P4.

It didn't work...

Originally posted by Nexx
The only game I really play is CS, I get 100fps solid at 1024x768 4X AA, 16X AF, in smoke. Only thing I hate about ATI is that they dont have Digital Vibrance feature like the Nvidia cards do. Colors looks really washed out compared to my Nvidia cards :(

:p Throw out enough smoke and I'm sure you can get that 9800 to crawl. I got bored one day and had my AA and AF on the same as you , unleashed like 20 smokes , well I never thought I'd see my 9800 pro crawl to the high 20's in CS , I was using 1028x1024 for my res.

Originally posted by Keem
think where ATI was when HL came out? not at the top therefore the game was built for nvidia cards really

Hehe. HL is so old that it could have been built around 3dfx f or all we know :)

Originally posted by Mikey20
what about a sapphire 9700np for $200

Keep an eye out on sales. I saw a Sapphire 9700 PRO 128meg going for $189 at NewEgg this past weekend.

Powercolor 9700 Pro 128meggers go for about $218 w/free shipping on Pricewatch.com (which will list the best prices for a particular model).

Digital Vibrance is just a "fake"-ing of colour. You can do this with any good software that can compensate for colour, the best ones will compensate based on monitor .ICM profiles.

Adobe gamma loader will "fix" colour as well as gamma "washed out" levels. Unfortunately it only comes on some of Adobe's higher end products like Photoshop. If you like the bright colour look, pick like a 5 year or older 15 inch monitor for your monitor profile.

ATi could have easily put a "vibrant" colour sheme in with their new shaders (like the Ascii coding, or black and white "sketch" modes) but really colour is more a function of the monitor and monitor cable than the videocard.

Who said that? Certainly wasn't me.

Feel free to want whatever, but at least be reasonable about it.

Altrough the centurion and Ufo were extreme examples (with being about 14 and respectivly 9 years old games) the HL is not. It's favourite game of thousands of people and it's still alive plus the new version of counter-strike really requires something around 9600 pro to run smoothly with high settings so running it on 3/4 years old hardware is masochism. If you have possibility of keeping several computers to play older games then it's good for you but most people don't. So it certainly isn't unreasonable to want HL running without any problems on your new video card.

If the manufucturers are not trying to make drivers compatible with older software it's becouse of the people who just say

Those of us who like new technology will most likely refuse to be hobbled by the wants of those who hang on, tooth and nail, to ancient (in computer years) software
[/B]

But of course it's your choice if you prefer making several tricks with OS to play some good classics. I'd prefer to play them without resorting to such tricks.

Originally posted by Swat
:p Throw out enough smoke and I'm sure you can get that 9800 to crawl. I got bored one day and had my AA and AF on the same as you , unleashed like 20 smokes , well I never thought I'd see my 9800 pro crawl to the high 20's in CS , I was using 1028x1024 for my res.

my FX 5800 would dip into the 50's with that many smokes. I doubt my 9800 would hit below that.

Originally posted by Michaelius
But of course it's your choice if you prefer making several tricks with OS to play some good classics. I'd prefer to play them without resorting to such tricks.
It goes with the territory. If you don't want to spend time tweaking your rig to smooth out wrinkles and work around incompatibilities then it is you who might want to consider a PS2/GC/Xbox.

Any goober can plug stuff in, turn it on, and hope it works. You have to be at least a little [H]ard to make it work right (and well) consistently. It's sort of like owning a Harley. You hear a lot of nancy-boys complain about how unreliable they are and how many problems they have. Well, if you can't make it work, you don't deserve the ride. :p

Like I said before, I don't care how many people are still playing CS. It should be understood that, if you want to play games that have been around for years on the latest hardware (etc), you should expect issues. To argue that this shouldn't happen is simplistic at best.

I mean think about it. What should the priority be in the industry: backward compatibility for half a freaking DECADE or implementing new technology? Hardware and software developers have finite resources. Think about it.

I may be politically conservative (at least somewhat) but I'm definitely a progressive when it comes to technology. Sue me. :D

Originally posted by bizzy420
9700 non pro 160+fps in cs.

Please share how you came to that conclusion? Engine is locked at 99 and even with the so called developer 1 I never saw my fps raise over 99 with a 9800 Pro.

Originally posted by SKiTLz
Please share how you came to that conclusion? Engine is locked at 99 and even with the so called developer 1 I never saw my fps raise over 99 with a 9800 Pro.

ive saw someone at cpl getting 120fps with developer 1, maybe he is basing it off of a timedemo or soemthing. i get my numbers from netgraph 3

Just skimped through this thread...did the thread starter even have an ATI card to begin with...:confused:

If not...what was the issue? Was he/she at a friends and saw that CS played like shit on the ATI card?

Originally posted by Nexx
ive saw someone at cpl getting 120fps with developer 1, maybe he is basing it off of a timedemo or soemthing. i get my numbers from netgraph 3

You can

developer 1
fps_max 150 (Or whatever) It works, but I dont reccomend it.

I dont understand why Radeon are worse then Nvidia at times in Half life..

Originally posted by w00bi
You can

developer 1
fps_max 150 (Or whatever) It works, but I dont reccomend it.

I dont understand why Radeon are worse then Nvidia at times in Half life..

why dont u recommend it?

Back