Radeon RX Vega 64 vs Radeon R9 Fury X Clock for Clock @ [H]

Discussion in 'AMD Flavor' started by Kyle_Bennett, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

Radeon RX Vega 64 vs Radeon R9 Fury X Clock for Clock

We take Radeon RX Vega 64 and R9 Fury X video cards, match the cards in terms of GPU clocks and memory bandwidth, then compare performance. Why? The simple answer is that a bunch of people, including ourselves, just wanted to know how far the Vega GCN architecture advanced.

2. Presbytier

Presbytier [H]ard|Gawd

Not too surprising as even AMD stated 3 billion of those extra transistors went to improving clock speeds.

auntjemima and razor1 like this.
  3. buzzbomb

buzzbomb Gawd

FTFY, even though they'll never come out and say it...

4. Algrim

Algrim Gawd

If you believe the whitepapers, there's a lot of latent tech buried in Vega. I think it's going to come down to which of two camps is correct: 1) RTG's driver team is going to unlock this latent tech transparently for existing titles allowing 'full' Vega to be experienced, or 2) Game developers are going to have to code explicitly for this latent tech for 'full' Vega to be experienced.

As far as power draw is concerned, not surprising at all. RTG tried to clock it as high as it could so it could trade blows with a 1080. It's no secret that a chip running 'within design parameters' is going to run more efficiently than a chip clocked balls to the wall.

GDI Lord likes this.
  5. Ocellaris

Ocellaris Ginger @le, an alcoholic's best friend.

Its a 14nm Fiji with a lot of marketing paperwork to make it look different. And a new memory controller.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  6. Presbytier

Presbytier [H]ard|Gawd

It will rely on game Devs to program. Bethesda, so far, has been the only major PC gaming company to go all in on Radeon, so their future games will be the ones to watch to see how much of a difference that makes.

N4CR, Armenius, noko and 2 others like this.
  7. DejaWiz

DejaWiz Oracle of Unfortunate Truths

Thanks for the review, [H]. This really puts things into a true perspective.

I can't help but think that things went a little something like this...

"What's the status of the Fury rehash?"

"Fury v1.5 is on track for the targeted release date."

"Any significant improvements, other than the higher clocks and more VRAM?"

"Honestly, not really...we've hit a plateau with the performance, so we're looking for ways to maximize clock speeds, while praying that the power draw and heat output don't cause it to nuke itself."

"*Sigh* The marketing team is going to have to work overtime again to sugarcoat it...more of our usual, it seems. Dang, I need to call the Ferrari dealer to get my car in for maintenance."

"Ummmm, OK...so yeah, that's where we are with all this."

"I'll have my assistant call the dealer. What kind of car do you drive?"

"Well, I'm on my fourth Toyota. Big step up from my first car."

"What kind of car was your first?"

"It was on old Chevy Vega. It was rather boring and broken down all the time. I was so happy the day I finally got rid of it!"

"Hold on...that's great! Let's call the new Fury a VEGA!"

"You want to name it after one of GM's shittiest cars ever?"

"Well, yeah, but it sounds cool. Let's get the marketing team on the horn, they're going to love this!"

8. Gasaraki_

Gasaraki_ Limp Gawd

Thank you for your efforts. Very enlightening and kind of what I guessed based on your previous tests.

9. CombatChrisNC

CombatChrisNC Gawd

Will we be seeing any differences in VR? 'New technologies' and all?

10. lazz

lazz Limp Gawd

This was a neat article. Any chance of seeing a 1080 vs 980 type comparison, even abridged?

11. Meeho

Meeho 2[H]4U

12. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Limp Gawd

Thanks for testing this out, its always interesting to see this kind of comparison.

13. Kyle_Bennett

Brent and I are discussing that, but let's stay on topic. :)

GDI Lord, Stimpy88, Chimpee and 11 others like this.
  14. razor1

razor1 [H]ardForum Junkie

Yeah so without all those "where is it?" features, its just Fiji. doubt we will see any major improvements with those "where is it features" enabled as well, really looks like those features were just a different way to market Vega at this point.

Power consumption seems to have fallen short too, at the same performance level, GF's 14nm should have given them a 60% improvement in perf/watt, that didn't happen, but then again hard to compare w/ cause of the water cooling of Fiji, might have hit that, not sure.

Sulphademus, Armenius, Factum and 3 others like this.
  15. HockeyJon

HockeyJon Gawd

I'm quite amazed that given the length of time spent in development, with delay after delay, with AMD marketing promising some kind of "revolution", that this was the result. Granted, the number of stream processors between the two remained the same, but there's something to be said for taking better advantage of the hardware you have to work with. I think it's clear here that AMD, or the game developers, or both, are not doing so. Remarkably disappointing at best.

16. HockeyJon

HockeyJon Gawd

I'm also curious to see this as well, given what we saw here. Not to derail the topic at hand, but this comparison has my vote. It would be interesting to see given that both marketing teams touted that the change in architecture was a big deal.

lazz likes this.
  17. PontiacGTX

PontiacGTX Gawd

Those features arent being used properly. HBCC cant shown its purpose in games until memory allocation is different
    DSBR was mainly to save power/bandwidth due to ROPs/Rasterizer requirements,Games arent adapted for Primitive shader pipeline, RPM isnt used in any game yet and also async compute isnt being in the way VEGA can do it

If the clocks fluctuated like this? how many seconds did it run at 1050MHz vs Fury X?, using a tool to force all 3D Power states at least 1050MHz wouldnt be more accurate?
    [​IMG]

18. Kyle_Bennett

I am not sure of what you are asking. The average in that specific game was 1049MHz as noted. We qualified every single game to do this. As noted, the clock is dynamic for Vega.

Armenius likes this.
  19. Stoly

Stoly [H]ardness Supreme

I'd say I somewhat dissapointed by Vega. I mean, it seems AMD should just did a die shrink and slap hbm2.

20. Stoly

Stoly [H]ardness Supreme

Even if there were minor variations, it doesn't seem like the end resultd would be different.

Armenius likes this.
  21. Kyle_Bennett

And we FULLY AND OPENLY discussed this on page 2.

Armenius likes this.
  22. noko

noko 2[H]4U

I love these type of comparisons from one generation to the next. Reminds me of the old wavy Dave ones at beyond3d.

Was there any reason not to just OC the HBM2 on Vega to 1000 to match. Bandwidths?

Disappointed in not seeing much gain on the architecture for gaming. I don't think AMD indicated there will be much performance gains with future drivers.

Also had problems with 17.9.1 as well.

23. PontiacGTX

PontiacGTX Gawd

exactly based on the power saving features used to reduce clock speed in load, wouldnt it change per game basis(and within the game it woudl vary with the load ) and in some cases it wouldnt be always near the target clock speed, losing performance meanwhiel FURY X mostly is running at 1050MHz since doesnt have dynamic such clocks, also it is running underclocked, there should be a variation based on the power limit set on the power tables in BIOS-power states, some older GCN based cards have slighly worse clocks/load if the power was below the power limit target

just wondering if it made a bigger difference on GPU clock

24. Kyle_Bennett

Did you fully read page 2?

Armenius likes this.
  25. Meeho

Meeho 2[H]4U

I think you're trying too hard to draw something positive for Vega here.

26. Kyle_Bennett

That and the fact of missing punctuation, capitalization, sentences, and just being a general wall of text makes it hard for me to understand.

Stimpy88, Armenius and GoldenTiger like this.
  27. Brent_Justice

Brent_Justice [H] Video Card Managing Editor Staff Member

If you are talking specifically about the above game, that's 9 minutes worth of gameplay data. I think our longest run-through is around 14 minutes. We verified that each game was as close to 1050MHz as possible, a painstaking process I might add.

The 3D Power states don't work like you describe. The only two that matter are the last two, if you are manually overclocking. The others are ignored when you manually set the last two power states.

Both Sniper Elite 4 and Gears of War 4 support Async just fine on Vega, and it works, we had both enabled for testing.

28. Brent_Justice

For certain Rapid Packed Math has to be implemented by the developer. If games never use it, it'll never be advantageous. I know Far Cry 5 is going to use it, the question is, will other games?

29. Brent_Justice

It was easier to downclock Fury X, than try and overclock Vega 64 that high and introduce instability. I did not need that complication.

Armenius likes this.
  30. Brent_Justice

Which is exactly why we tested clock speed on a per-game basis, and adjusted as necessary to get us to the target.

Armenius likes this.
  31. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise Gawd

Gamebryo will soon run at up to 60 FPS!

J3RK, N4CR, Armenius and 4 others like this.
  32. razor1

I really think its marketing BS dude everything that separates Vega from prior GCN uarch is turned off or not usable with current games or close to be released games, drivers aren't made that way, drivers are done before the chip is taped out and if those features are turned off, there is a reason why they are turned off.

Async compute yeah don't even need to go there, we know it needs to be tailored per generation, per GPU within each gen too. So dev's need to do the work.

RPM is dev controlled again.

This is AMD for you, let everyone else other themselves do the work to make their products look good.

Its the same thing they did with LL API's, the mess with async compute (concurrent workloads), more work for dev's (although yeah its good in the long run, just not right now), now you have Vega.

That is not how things go in the industry and that is also why adoption rates suffer, if its more work, it a slower adoption rate automatically.

33. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise Gawd

I think we'd all LOVE it if AMD pulled a rabbit from a hat with a driver release and the Vega WTFPWND the 1080s. I know I would.

Just doesn't seem super likely. <shrug>

_mockingbird and razor1 like this.
  34. razor1

It also depends on what its used for. RPM so far from what AMD has shown so far, and what has been talked about, can help it with vertex set up, lessening the burden on AMD chips, and helping with polygon throughput. Higher level shaders that require higher precision, like lighting, not sure if it can be used for that at this point. So performance increase with such a thing will only show up when that is the limiting factor. (lighting, AO, GI, and other techniques use the vast majority of the processing power)

35. bl4C3y3

bl4C3y3 n00bie

"This is fun, right?"

Yes it is ! Great article ... some fine, and from another point of view, in-depth investigative [H] journalism.
    There seem to be more of these interesting articles lately with a different take (like comparison Vega56/64 to Fury/X, Threadripper installation, ...), is this a trend ? (or just because it are exiting times hardware wise, and my memory doesn't go back more than a couple of months)
    Some time ago, if I remember correctly, you mentioned the passion was somehow getting lower ? But it seems it's back, certainly when you guys do a review "just because we wanted to know" ... that is what it's all about :)
    (and to put these results in perspective, a similar comparison with competing Geforce cards would be great indeed)

GDI Lord and primetime like this.
  36. bobzdar

bobzdar [H]ard|Gawd

I'm still scratching my head on why they used HBM2 but at half the bus width. So they had to delay the card due to delayed HBM2 just so they could get less memory bandwidth? I don't understand it at all, and from the somewhat limited memory oc stuff I've seen it seems to be crippling the card to a degree.

37. Schmave

Schmave [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks for the article guys! It sounds like getting everything working just so was a PITA.

It makes me wonder WTF AMD was up to during the entire development of Vega. Were they simply adding pipelining registers to the logic to allow it to clock higher? You guys pretty much summed it up in this quote:

_mockingbird likes this.
  38. Brent_Justice

All about power on that one, they simply needed the power savings of HBM2 to run the GPU clock so high, otherwise board power would be through the roof.

39. _mockingbird

_mockingbird Limp Gawd

In other words, all the new features that Vega supposedly have doesn't made a difference at all.

40. Curtis Grove

Curtis Grove n00bie

Brent / Kyle, thanks for the clock for clock review. Did you by chance also monitor how much power each card was using at the Fury-X clocks? I am assuming the Vega pulls less?