Radeon RX 5600 XT Launch Review Round Up

According to AMD there is no reference model, at least, not one that will be sold to the public...
higher res of the ref model

big_amd-radeon-5600-xt-reference.jpg

amd_rx_5600_xt.0.jpg

A few titles under 60fps at 1080p is hardly a game changer.
Drivers is debateable. Plenty of users have no issues, and Nvidia is not immune to problems either.
I agree when Nvidia says they are fixing issues with a variety of games are they lying? You would think so going by some of the comments.

Probably one of the biggest problems I've ever had when it came to supporting laptops was if they have Nvidia "Quadro" cards in them. The drivers would crash quite regularly when Intel or AMDs never did.

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/01/21/xfx-radeon-rx-5600-xt-thicc-ii-pro-review/17/

from TheFPSReview
Power Efficiency
One point we really want to drive home is how power efficient the Radeon RX 5600 XT is compared to its performance. Out of all the video cards tested it required the least amount of power to get its job done. For the lowest power draw, it performed as good as a GeForce RTX 2060. The GeForce RTX 2060 actually had the highest power draw and required that 18% extra power just to keep up with the factory overclocked Radeon RX 5600 XT.

For the first time in a long time, AMD is the one with the more power-efficient video card for the performance delivered. You just don’t know how impressive that is. This is a very important point about the Radeon RX 5600 XT that needs to be emphasized. Power efficiency isn’t all about the manufacturing process, it is also a combination of GPU architecture. With the Radeon RX 5600 XT, it looks like AMD is hitting all the right cylinders.

So AMD baited nVidia but in the end the card couldn't deliver so they had to release a bios to overclock the crap out of the card to be competitive?

I thought that bios update after Nvidia's price drop was the baiting.

Depends on the reivew. Also IIRC, their card only had 12 Gbs memory speed which would use less power.

TPUP, had power practically identical to the 2060 with the new Bios:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/sapphire-radeon-rx-5600-xt-pulse/31.html
power-gaming-peak.png

As does the Gamers Nexus review:

Power is essentially the same between 2060 and 5600xt, and will depend on which one has higher tweaked clock speeds.

Last edited:
*SIGH* Steve from Gamer Nexus, who I usually respect, makes a claim that some of the board makers will not provide an updated vbios for the cards. I find that particularly a bad practice to make a claim like then but then provide no proof nor names of those who will do so. Instead, he just says AMD messed up but provides nothing to show us that will actually occur nor what card OEM's are going to do that.

A wild guess might be because he does not want to bad mouth the folks who pays his check or puts food on the table. In this case, I am just guessing and it would be good to see if he can provide the proof or not. (Did get a bit frustrated in the comments section of youtube on his video though.)

I'll keep adding them here as I see them.

From the Saphire TechpowerUp review:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/sapphire-radeon-rx-5600-xt-pulse/31.html

What really counts are noise levels, and here, the Sapphire Pulse scores a slam dunk. Noise levels are as low as 28 dBA—whisper quiet while fully loaded—on a card that's just $10 above MSRP. With those noise levels the card actually beats all competing NVIDIA cards I'm aware of. Yes, you read right, AMD is now quieter than NVIDIA! Sapphire also included the highly popular idle-fan-off capability with their card, which completely shuts off the fans in idle, browsing, productivity, and light gaming. Some competing NVIDIA cards lack that capability, too.

Depends on the reivew. Also IIRC, their card only had 12 Gbs memory speed which would use less power.

TPUP, had power practically identical to the 2060 with the new Bios:

The secret sauce behind these impressive thermals is that AMD undervolted their Navi 10 GPU. Normally, the GPU is designed to run at 1.15 V to 1.20 V. On the RX 5600 XT, it ticks at 0.9 V before the BIOS update and 1.0 V after the update. This brings with it tremendous power savings at the cost of maximum operating frequency, but limited frequency is actually something AMD wants. Both RX 5600 XT and RX 5700 have the same shader count, the difference is only in frequency and memory bus/capacity. A heavily overclocked RX 5600 XT could thus match or even beat the more expensive RX 5700, cannibalizing the latter. That's why AMD is happy with low operating voltages, which also improve performance per watt. Actually, before the BIOS update, the RX 5600 XT was more efficient than Turing (check the Performance per Watt page). With the BIOS update, some increase in voltage was required to achieve the new GPU frequencies. AMD basically traded 20% efficiency for 10% performance—a reasonable move in my opinion because noise and thermals aren't impacted that much

The secret sauce behind these impressive thermals is that AMD undervolted their Navi 10 GPU. Normally, the GPU is designed to run at 1.15 V to 1.20 V. On the RX 5600 XT, it ticks at 0.9 V before the BIOS update and 1.0 V after the update. This brings with it tremendous power savings at the cost of maximum operating frequency, but limited frequency is actually something AMD wants. Both RX 5600 XT and RX 5700 have the same shader count, the difference is only in frequency and memory bus/capacity. A heavily overclocked RX 5600 XT could thus match or even beat the more expensive RX 5700, cannibalizing the latter. That's why AMD is happy with low operating voltages, which also improve performance per watt. Actually, before the BIOS update, the RX 5600 XT was more efficient than Turing (check the Performance per Watt page). With the BIOS update, some increase in voltage was required to achieve the new GPU frequencies. AMD basically traded 20% efficiency for 10% performance—a reasonable move in my opinion because noise and thermals aren't impacted that much

Yeah, you can see the big jump in power usage, it increases 40 watts with the new bios.

But in the end, after the bios update, it's a wash. It is back to using about the same power, for about the same performance as the 2060.

It's pretty much at parity, just like 5700/5700XT are at about parity, until NVidia also jumps on a new process... But that is probably nearly half a year away, at minimum.

*SIGH* Steve from Gamer Nexus, who I usually respect, makes a claim that some of the board makers will not provide an updated vbios for the cards. I find that particularly a bad practice to make a claim like then but then provide no proof nor names of those who will do so. Instead, he just says AMD messed up but provides nothing to show us that will actually occur nor what card OEM's are going to do that.

A wild guess might be because he does not want to bad mouth the folks who pays his check or puts food on the table. In this case, I am just guessing and it would be good to see if he can provide the proof or not. (Did get a bit frustrated in the comments section of youtube on his video though.)

Eh I'm always torn on that guy. He talks out his ass a lot. But he has long hair and is clearly never not the biggest geek in the room. He does some good number runs most of the time... but sometimes he jumps to some conclusions.

From https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3550-guide-how-to-flash-amd-gpu-vbios-rx-5600-xt

"The update came in the form of a VBIOS flash that can increase performance upwards of 11%, but not all the shipped cards have the VBIOS applied, meaning customers will be buying cards that perform worse than what reviews show. Worse still, some cards will never have that VBIOS available, with some partners splitting their 5600 XT into two SKUs. It’d sort of be like if the 1660 and 1660 Super were sold under a single name, but with two completely different performance classes."

From https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3550-guide-how-to-flash-amd-gpu-vbios-rx-5600-xt

"The update came in the form of a VBIOS flash that can increase performance upwards of 11%, but not all the shipped cards have the VBIOS applied, meaning customers will be buying cards that perform worse than what reviews show. Worse still, some cards will never have that VBIOS available, with some partners splitting their 5600 XT into two SKUs. It’d sort of be like if the 1660 and 1660 Super were sold under a single name, but with two completely different performance classes."
ok but where is he getting that from? does he provide a source or is he assuming?

ok but where is he getting that from? does he provide a source or is he assuming?

Logic?

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15422/the-amd-radeon-rx-5600-xt-review/2

"Furthermore it’s not clear right now whether similar BIOS updates are going to be issued for lower-end cards. The Sapphire Pulse is a (or at least was a) mildly factory overclocked card, with overbuilt cooling and power delivery. So AMD and its partners may not even want to issue a BIOS update to baseline models, where power and thermals would be more restricted."

"Ultimately, whatever AMD’s original plans might have been, it looks like AMD’s new plan is to take advantage of partners overbuilding some of their RX 5600 XT SKUs. Case in point, if a factory overclocked card ships with 14Gbps memory and the VRMs necessary to do a TBP of 180W – say, if it’s reusing a Radeon 5700 design – then AMD and the partners have gone ahead and adjusted their cards to get more performance. To reiterate, these are factory overclocked cards that are not representative of baseline performance. And at least in the case of Sapphire’s card, these overclocked cards carry a price premium. But it creates a bit of a two-tier situation, with 12Gbps reference cards delivering a certain level of performance, and 14Gbps factory overclocked cards delivering a decent bit more."

That is what I am talking about! Where is the proof of that and what manufacturers and cards is this happening with? Otherwise, it is just a bunch of......... Or he does not want to call anyone out for a legitimate fear of being ghosted.

yup, assumption. thnx.

Yep, exactly, nothing but assumption and conjecture but no proof. If there is proof, name names, put up or shut up but, do not make wild ass claims and not back them up, you are not doing any of your viewers any favors at all.

That is what I am talking about! Where is the proof of that and what manufacturers and cards is this happening with? Otherwise, it is just a bunch of......... Or he does not want to call anyone out for a legitimate fear of being ghosted.

Yep, exactly, nothing but assumption and conjecture but no proof. If there is proof, name names, put up or shut up but, do not make wild ass claims and not back them up, you are not doing any of your viewers any favors at all.

Time will tell?

Some cards have bios and other's do not. That could be because they were just released (I'm going out on a limb and say most cards will get core clocks). Video Ram speed on the base cards much more shakey.

https://www.asrock.com/Graphics-Car...XT Challenger D 6G OC/index.asp#Specification

*note* this could have just been an ommission but the core clocks change and the ram clocks do not

Reactions: Auer
like this
Some cards have bios and other's do not. That could be because they were just released (I'm going out on a limb and say most cards will get core clocks). Video Ram speed on the base cards much more shakey.

https://www.asrock.com/Graphics-Card/AMD/Radeon RX 5600 XT Challenger D 6G OC/index.asp#Specification

*note* this could have just been an ommission but the core clocks change and the ram clocks do not

True but, Steve is claiming some cards will not get the bios, at all, with no proof and no names.

True but, Steve is claiming some cards will not get the bios, at all, with no proof and no names.

You do realize that these videos were made pre-launch, right? Steve, and other tech reviewers, probably didn't have exact names and full plans just yet. They need to wait for more information before talking about shit. What good would it do if they started throwing out names and it turns out that the AIBs decided to change their plans?

You do realize that these videos were made pre-launch, right? Steve, and other tech reviewers, probably didn't have exact names and full plans just yet. They need to wait for more information before talking about shit. What good would it do if they started throwing out names and it turns out that the AIBs decided to change their plans?

Then they should not be talking shit at all. And no, this video that I posted was not made pre launch, at all. Either there are cards that this is going to happen to or there is not, put up or shut up.

Edit: The only exception might be if someone calls the manufacturer to verify but then again.......

What? Both those cards that you linked have an updated bios on that page. I am not certain what you mean?

Powercolor has 3 5600xt's. The third card is not on that page.

*at least on newegg* The base model is not on that page.

Then they should not be talking shit at all. And no, this video that I posted was not made pre launch, at all. Either there are cards that this is going to happen to or there is not, put up or shut up.

Edit: The only exception might be if someone calls the manufacturer to verify but then again.......

1. Telling people that not everyone is going to update the BIOS gives people information to be aware of when they're shopping. Even with GN not recommending the cards, people are still going to buy them. Knowing "not every card will be updated" lets people keep an eye on which ones are and are not.

2. Saying "not all cards will be updated" adds to their not recommending the product. Keeping that information secret. even if they're not able to give full details for one reason or another, is a disservice to the audience. Would you rather they say nothing and let everyone go on thinking that every card from every single AIB will get updated? That'd be pretty shitty.

3. Do you think videos appear by magic and are scripted, shot, edited, and uploaded the day they're released?

1. Telling people that not everyone is going to update the BIOS gives people information to be aware of when they're shopping. Even with GN not recommending the cards, people are still going to buy them. Knowing "not every card will be updated" lets people keep an eye on which ones are and are not.

2. Saying "not all cards will be updated" adds to their not recommending the product. Keeping that information secret. even if they're not able to give full details for one reason or another, is a disservice to the audience. Would you rather they say nothing and let everyone go on thinking that every card from every single AIB will get updated? That'd be pretty shitty.

3. Do you think videos appear by magic and are scripted, shot, edited, and uploaded the day they're released?

Saying things just because and without showing any proof? Ok, other than perhaps someone asking the manufacturer, which I already said, what he is doing is just BS and not verified. Also, he did not make this video that I posted Pre Launch, get real.

Saying things just because and without showing any proof? Ok, other than perhaps someone asking the manufacturer, which I already said, what he is doing is just BS and not verified. Also, he did not make this video that I posted Pre Launch, get real.

Since you're so hung up on proof, prove your claim. Put up or shut up, as you say it.

Edit: Seems to me like you're just mad about something bad being attributed to AMD that you can't simply hand wave away and would rather people not saying anything then have anything negative floating around.

Ultimately, I haven't seen many base cards at the 280 price point. That might be because of hard release with few cards, retooling (like hey we should update firmware before we send these out), etc.

The fact is this launch is kinda weird. People having to update bios's is kind of a fail in my mind. While I'm not going to say they are doa, I'm going to say the interest isn't as high as I would like it to be.

If I was looking for a card I would have already purchased the 5700 when it hit 280, intermittently.

Ultimately, I haven't seen many base cards at the 280 price point. That might be because of hard release with few cards, retooling (like hey we should update firmware before we send these out), etc.

The fact is this launch is kinda weird. People having to update bios's is kind of a fail in my mind. While I'm not going to say they are doa, I'm going to say the interest isn't as high as I would like it to be.

If I was looking for a card I would have already purchased the 5700 when it hit 280.

It is definitely a weird launch. On the plus side, anyone buying a couple months from now probably won't have to worry about the whole BIOS thing. By then most cards that are going to get the update should have it pre-installed. For people buying around launch though, this is a huge mess.

Some cards have a cheaper thermal solution that can't handle the increase in TDP or the boards can't handle the extra TDP. In other words, AMD did a knee jerk reaction and forgot about the cards that the AIBs cheapened out and cut corners on to meet MSRP. Especially if the VRAM is running at 14Gbps instead of 12. If the VRAM is not heatsinked, its going to run extremely hot and fail/crash.

This model does not have the BIOS update. Steve has a powercolor model so it does seem like he figured it out.

https://www.newegg.com/powercolor-r...on=5600xt&cm_re=5600xt-_-14-131-761-_-Product

Logic?

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15422/the-amd-radeon-rx-5600-xt-review/2

"Furthermore it’s not clear right now whether similar BIOS updates are going to be issued for lower-end cards. The Sapphire Pulse is a (or at least was a) mildly factory overclocked card, with overbuilt cooling and power delivery. So AMD and its partners may not even want to issue a BIOS update to baseline models, where power and thermals would be more restricted."

"Ultimately, whatever AMD’s original plans might have been, it looks like AMD’s new plan is to take advantage of partners overbuilding some of their RX 5600 XT SKUs. Case in point, if a factory overclocked card ships with 14Gbps memory and the VRMs necessary to do a TBP of 180W – say, if it’s reusing a Radeon 5700 design – then AMD and the partners have gone ahead and adjusted their cards to get more performance. To reiterate, these are factory overclocked cards that are not representative of baseline performance. And at least in the case of Sapphire’s card, these overclocked cards carry a price premium. But it creates a bit of a two-tier situation, with 12Gbps reference cards delivering a certain level of performance, and 14Gbps factory overclocked cards delivering a decent bit more."

Oh come on now... I have never owned an AMD card that didn't have an easily flashable bios. Even the cheapos.

I really can't see any of AMDs normal card vendors not providing updated vbios for these directly. Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, Powercolor, Sapphire, XFX, Asrock. Those are the vendors selling 5600xt cards. The ONLY one without a bios up on their site right now is Asus. You tell me you think Asus is going to be the only vendor not providing a updated bios ?

Steve and any other reviewers suggesting AMD video bios would be or ever have been hard to get from the MFGs have been talking out his asses. The 5600 may be mid range... but its not a $100 card either there is hardly a flood of bargain basement 5600 cards around. lol

Some cards have a cheaper thermal solution that can't handle the increase in TDP or the boards can't handle the extra TDP. In other words, AMD did a knee jerk reaction and forgot about the cards that the AIBs cheapened out and cut corners on to meet MSRP. Especially if the VRAM is running at 14Gbps instead of 12. If the VRAM is not heatsinked, its going to run extremely hot and fail/crash.

If anyone made a card that would fail at 14... it was going to fail at 12. Its really not that big a difference.

Oh come on now... I have never owned an AMD card that didn't have an easily flashable bios. Even the cheapos.

I really can't see any of AMDs normal card vendors not providing updated vbios for these directly. Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, Powercolor, Sapphire, XFX, Asrock. Those are the vendors selling 5600xt cards. The ONLY one without a bios up on their site right now is Asus. You tell me you think Asus is going to be the only vendor not providing a updated bios ?

Steve and any other reviewers suggesting AMD video bios would be or ever have been hard to get from the MFGs have been talking out his asses. The 5600 may be mid range... but its not a $100 card either there is hardly a flood of bargain basement 5600 cards around. lol

No one is saying that vendors won't update any of their models, the statement is that not all vendors will update all models.

No one said it's hard to get a BIOS or that's it's hard to update, stop spouting statements that exist only in your head.

No one is saying that vendors won't update any of their models, the statement is that not all vendors will update all models.

No one said it's hard to get a BIOS or that's it's hard to update, stop spouting statements that exist only in your head.

You show me the 5600 card being sold today that doesn't already have a bios up on the MFGs site.

There is only one and that one is Asus. These reviewers are talking out their asses. Unless we are talking about some no name wish Chinese market card that in their heads will be all over the place next month perhaps. lol

My point is EVERY announced card being sold right now not counting Asus... have bios and flash utilities on their main product pages right now. So unless people are suggesting Asus is the one company that is going to duck out on providing an official bios there just spreading fud.

You show me the 5600 card being sold today that doesn't already have a bios up on the MFGs site.

There is only one and that one is Asus. These reviewers are talking out their asses. Unless we are talking about some no name wish Chinese market card that in their heads will be all over the place next month perhaps. lol

My point is EVERY announced card being sold right now not counting Asus... have bios and flash utilities on their main product pages right now. So unless people are suggesting Asus is the one company that is going to duck out on providing an official bios there just spreading fud.

Yes, Mr. Backseat expert I'm sure you know more than the people who have direct contacts with vendors.

Yes, Mr. Backseat expert I'm sure you know more than the people who have direct contacts with vendors.

I have a brain. Look around at all the LISTED for sale cards right now. They all have manufacturer product pages with the new bios downloads. The only acceptation as I stated is Asus.

So some of these reviewers are suggesting that the same manufacturers that have announced 2 and 3 different cards each (which all have downloadable bios and flash utilities up today) are going to in the future release new cards that wont... or launch a brand new model down the road with a old pre launch vbios. Its sort of a stupid thing to even suggest.

Its like that time I bought a 5770 that came with a year old pre 5770 release bios. I'm joking that never happened. Perhaps someone has bought a video card that had the wrong bios loaded, and well hell who knows perhaps that has even happened at some point. But it seems extremely unlikely in this case. If AMD had done this on a low low end model like a 5400 or something I could see this being an issue. But $300+ for a video card is still enough money that there aren't going to be a ton of no brand white box junker versions of the 5600 floating around.

Last edited:
Reactions: N4CR
like this

Then show us the evidence and not just conjecture. (Not you but Steve from Gamers Nexus.)

Reactions: kac77
like this
Back