Radeon RX 480 Video Card Review

HardOCP News

[H] News
For those of you that haven't had their fill of Radeon RX 480 video card reviews yet, the crew at Hardware Secrets has just published a new one. For comparison purposes, you can see our evaluation here.

The Radeon RX 480 is based on the “Ellesmere” chip, which is part of the new Polaris architecture. It is manufactured under 14 nm lithography, with tridimensional transistors, also called “FinFET”, which allows less energy consumption than the earlier generation, whose chips where manufactured under 28 nm process.

Just wondering, will you guys be doing any undervolt testing? From the article you linked to earlier today and what is being said online unervolting increases performance by a few percents and makes the cards safer as far as power draw by a considerable and noticeable amount. Makes you wonder why amd didn't default them that way to begin with.

Just wondering, will you guys be doing any undervolt testing? From the article you linked to earlier today and what is being said online unervolting increases performance by a few percents and makes the cards safer as far as power draw by a considerable and noticeable amount. Makes you wonder why amd didn't default them that way to begin with.

Probably cause its the smarter thing to do. I don't think amd is ready to do that right now.

it may be that all the after market cards were tested required little extra voltage so one bios for all type of deal since they are probably relying on AMD to find safe voltages for the new process. AMD wanted to keep the stock reference card at 1266 because it ran too hot with the stock cooler otherwise. I think it would be nice to find out what voltages are after market cards running at? I with stock speeds might be fine with a notch less on voltage. May be the specified a range of voltage up to a certain speed and applied applied the same voltage across the board.

it may be that all the after market cards were tested required little extra voltage so one bios for all type of deal since they are probably relying on AMD to find safe voltages for the new process. AMD wanted to keep the stock reference card at 1266 because it ran too hot with the stock cooler otherwise. I think it would be nice to find out what voltages are after market cards running at? I with stock speeds might be fine with a notch less on voltage. May be the specified a range of voltage up to a certain speed and applied applied the same voltage across the board.

That could very well be, but that article I mentioned stated that due to less power the cards ran cooler so they found they stayed at the 1266 longer and more often with no power fluctuations causing odd behaviors.

Either way I hope this all gets fixed with the drivers tomorrow. I have a 390, really want to xfire them but their price won't drop if the 480s end up having this issue in the long run .

Back