Radeon RX 480 is a KILLER!!!

Another thread on this was needed.

Some of you seem strangely happy about this

To be perfectly honest with you man, considering the amount of flak I have gotten for reporting on this issue, my amusement is pretty high up on the amusement scale right now.

Not happy, amused. Mainly because I got a ton of these, and now I get to be smug

Bkz2c4o.png

There's also the guy who threatened to sue me LOL. Better sue AMD instead

some one has anger issues lol.

I'll be honest, I have let myself descend into anger as well :p Mainly because of people telling me I'm too stupid to understand the PCI-E spec, when they are in fact quoting the wrong fucking spec. I lost my shit :D

well of course, they can't talk about anything else so they try to debase you, typical idiots way of beating you down to their level lol.

seems like the guy made the thread and left.
I see Ieldra there too hahaha. Man you are in every forum!! Raising awareness I guess. Hehe

I'm not happy that AMD may have screwed up and concealed the screw up from consumers while hyping the product.
I am glad that if that's the case, they got caught at it before too many people got screwed.

We don't need more "VW clean deisel"-type frauds that go undiscovered for years.

I'm still not buying a nvidia card
To be perfectly honest with you man, considering the amount of flak I have gotten for reporting on this issue, my amusement is pretty high up on the amusement scale right now.

Not happy, amused. Mainly because I got a ton of these, and now I get to be smug

Bkz2c4o.png

We get it man. You really should get back to the nvidia forum where you belong.

When a product that's been hyped for months crashes and burns, the blowback is going to be pretty intense. We went through this with the Fury X last year.
I don't know if its marketing's fault, the community's fault, or the product's fault.

AMD should lower expectations, the people discussing/rumoring products should lower expectations. If you wanna know why people are "happy" about this, go look at all the WCCF articles this year. I'm tempted to mention AdoredTV, but that goose is cooked, so I won't.

Bkz2c4o.png

Be fair, you did not need that to be smug.

Bkz2c4o.png

dicknose should be your title! :ROFLMAO: jk!

they just re-released the r9 290, a performance of a 3yr old card, good jub amd :facepalm:

Funny to see people who dont own an AMD card complainig about it... like ieldra, he is on every single forum including Official AMD's Forums, complainig LOL. Do this dude even own an AMD Product or at least getting paid by NVIDIA? if not, he is doing all of this for free LOL

Claymore's Dual Ethereum+Decred GPU Miner v4.7 (Windows/Linux)

Its happening, guy has 3 480's connector to motherboard failed. And the guy down clocks too.
Actually there is more to that as well. He doesn't use risers which seems to be a staple of miners using more than 2 cards. Also combine the fact this same board has been mining for 3 years prior using 3-280Xs so cant guarantee board health prior to installing the 3-480s. Not saying they didn't cause this but there are just a tad too many variables.

Case in point: I have a board with a 965BE that wife used before her now 7870K. I got the 7870K because the 965BE kept rebooting blackscreening, mostly when idle and not under 100% stress testing. Figured it was the MoBo. Wrong, well kind of. I had the same issue that guy did except the reason wasn't a power draw issue it was a pin in the 4 pin cpu connector. It some how got pushed back on insertion the last time I put it together and it melted the connector a little. I found that after I had bought the 7870K/Mobo combo.
So it still actually works so put it in the living room after fixing the pin on the connector.

So Id say another grain of salt here. Again a poster on any tech forum should have enough knowledge to know how to do it right. We have all seen those mining farms and cringed when we say the space between the cards. Enough heat builds up and I guarantee the amps will increase too.

Again AMD needs to fix these 480s to compensate for the bottom percent that will have these type of outcomes.

Actually there is more to that as well. He doesn't use risers which seems to be a staple of miners using more than 2 cards. Also combine the fact this same board has been mining for 3 years prior using 3-280Xs so cant guarantee board health prior to installing the 3-480s. Not saying they didn't cause this but there are just a tad too many variables.

Case in point: I have a board with a 965BE that wife used before her now 7870K. I got the 7870K because the 965BE kept rebooting blackscreening, mostly when idle and not under 100% stress testing. Figured it was the MoBo. Wrong, well kind of. I had the same issue that guy did except the reason wasn't a power draw issue it was a pin in the 4 pin cpu connector. It some how got pushed back on insertion the last time I put it together and it melted the connector a little. I found that after I had bought the 7870K/Mobo combo.

So Id say another grain of salt here. Again a poster on any tech forum should have enough knowledge to know how to do it right. We have all seen those mining farms and cringed when we say the space between the cards. Enough heat builds up and I guarantee the amps will increase too.

Again AMD needs to fix these 480s to compensate for the bottom percent that will have these type of outcomes.

Well yeah but not everyone is going to do everything to the best of their ability and that is the point, we aren't talking about us that know what the hell we are doing, its the hundreds of thousands of average people out there, that don't know anything about these kinds of things.

Just imagine what a .5% increase in RMA'ing all low end motherboards would cost? That is a huge amount even at .1% increase.

Another thread on this was needed.

Mostly in response to the overhyped omg this is 980ti performance for $200 threads that flooded the internet before the card was released.

Which by the way turned out to be completely wrong. I think people have had enough.

When a product that's been hyped for months crashes and burns, the blowback is going to be pretty intense. We went through this with the Fury X last year.
I don't know if its marketing's fault, the community's fault, or the product's fault.

AMD should lower expectations, the people discussing/rumoring products should lower expectations. If you wanna know why people are "happy" about this, go look at all the WCCF articles this year. I'm tempted to mention AdoredTV, but that goose is cooked, so I won't.
In all fairness amd did not overhype the 480. I think they did a good job of stating it's performance.

But the internet fanbois took it to a whole new level. And that did NOT help AMD once the 480 started its spiral.

Mostly in response to the overhyped omg this is 980ti performance for $200 threads that flooded the internet before the card was released.

Which by the way turned out to be completely wrong. I think people have had enough.
Your comment mirrors so many of the GREEN team rantings. But the truth of the matter is here on [H] none save maybe the single poster believed anything outside of 970/390 upto 980 performance possibility. So posting here about quelling the rumors does absolutely nothing as those rumors never flourished here. So your point is not at all valid and does not sound of truth or nobility so that high horse can be put back in the barn.

Well look the rx 480 was hyped to the moon, Better than FURY X, 980ti performance, 100 watts - 110 watts of power consumption lol, 1600 mhz overclocking with no problems at all!

All of these never came from AMD........

The hypersters like WCCP, and few other sites and youtubers, screwed up this launch for some people. Short term click bait setting up for disappointment in fandom land.

AMD just screwed themselves over with the power thing,

Its really like AMD loves to paint Picasso's of a perfect way to fail a launch and they are getting better with each launch. They keep one upping their last failed launch to perfection we go.

Last edited:
Your comment mirrors so many of the GREEN team rantings. But the truth of the matter is here on [H] none save maybe the single poster believed anything outside of 970/390 upto 980 performance possibility. So posting here about quelling the rumors does absolutely nothing as those rumors never flourished here. So your point is not at all valid and does not sound of truth or nobility so that high horse can be put back in the barn.
I frequent [H] almost exclusively. This forum and the fanbois were just as guilty here about jumping on the hype wagon. After all many of these same members frequent other popular forums and reddit.

I actually defended AMD for not misleading. I blame the die hard people who just want to see AMD succeed again. Newsflash - amd has not been competitive in years and would have already bit the dust if it weren't for the mining craze years ago. That's the only time I can recall high demand for the cards.

I've used both companies for MANY years. I use as close to the best as I can afford. And that's why you haven't seen a red card in my signature since the 7970 launch.

I frequent [H] almost exclusively. This forum and the fanbois were just as guilty here about jumping on the hype wagon. After all many of these same members frequent other popular forums and reddit.

I actually defended AMD for not misleading. I blame the die hard people who just want to see AMD succeed again. Newsflash - amd has not been competitive in years and would have already bit the dust if it weren't for the mining craze years ago. That's the only time I can recall high demand for the cards.

I've used both companies for MANY years. I use as close to the best as I can afford. And that's why you haven't seen a red card in my signature since the 7970 launch.

AMD could have a been a little more clear with the paper launch. The whole 480 crossfire "more FPS at 51% util" vs a 1080 didn't exactly help. Pretty sure they said it was more efficient too. Not exactly sure how that makes sense in hindsight.

Bkz2c4o.png

Some of the AMD fan boys act like paid prostitues!

Haven't seen this level of insecurity on the Nvidia side.

hmm I wonder if prostitutes even talk like that lol. I think they would make more sense hehe. Well then again I guess they don't need to talk just moans and groans lol.

Back