Radeon RX 480 Competition Poll

Interestingly enough, the "leaks" about Vega so far have pointed to Vega 10 being 4096 ALU, and Vega 11 being 6144, which I don't think is a stretch frankly

Would be a weird naming scheme considering the Polaris 11/10 names... 10 was higher with Polaris.

What leak is showing 6144 ALUs? That seems insanely high imo, as I thought the 4092 on the Fiji was already high and under-utilized.

Well, a 380x to 470 clock-for-cock review would give a good example of what Fiji to the 4096 ALU one will look like, imo.

Last edited:
Interestingly enough, the "leaks" about Vega so far have pointed to Vega 10 being 4096 ALU, and Vega 11 being 6144, which I don't think is a stretch frankly
There are no leaks of Vega 10/11 per say. There is an old information from someone's linkedin about large GPU being developed with 4096 ALUs, but that's about it, we don't know even what Vega it is.

P. S. Now that i think about it, the fact that linked-in leaks from AMD were so regular can be easily explained by the fact that people that do the developing are often far and away from people doing the politics BS, as Raja's tweet points to us.

I do see a handful of websites suddenly reporting that there will be a Vega 11 with 6144 ALUs, all on May 11th... None of them give a source :(

Again, it would be odd for them to do a Polaris 10/11 with 10 being higher, and then do Vega 10/11 with 11 being higher... I think that perhaps people heard of a Vega 11 and then let their imagination take hold. It should be the smaller of the 2 chips, based on naming... Anyone know the date AMD announced Polaris 10/11 specs to confirm 10 was the larger chip?

I'm expecting that this isn't the top of this cards line. I'm not talking about duel core cards. I suspect something fishy like the old 4890. Or the 7970. I'm just feeling maybe not a massive bump but a secondary here is a little something extra bump this round.

I'm expecting that this isn't the top of this cards line. I'm not talking about duel core cards. I suspect something fishy like the old 4890. Or the 7970. I'm just feeling maybe not a massive bump but a secondary here is a little something extra bump this round.

Yeah, if their sole product for above 480 performance is multi-gpu solutions then they are done, because whether multi-gpu is on a single board or on separate video cards it still requires crossfire, which sucks teh serious donkey balls.

Multi-gpu is only ever to be used if the fastest single GPU solution on the market (from any vendor) isn't fast enough, because the compromises are just too great.

There are no leaks of Vega 10/11 per say. There is an old information from someone's linkedin about large GPU being developed with 4096 ALUs, but that's about it, we don't know even what Vega it is.

P. S. Now that i think about it, the fact that linked-in leaks from AMD were so regular can be easily explained by the fact that people that do the developing are often far and away from people doing the politics BS, as Raja's tweet points to us.

It's not hearsay, it was from linkedin profile of AMD engineers.

Last edited:
I would like to see 380X, 970, and 980 in this comparison.

Maybe a single apples-to-apples against 1070 because this will give people an idea how much more performance they get by paying more, and how the power consumption compares. But as these cards are not priced in direct competition to each other, making a full comparison seems pointless.

I would like to see 380X, 970, and 980 in this comparison.

Maybe a single apples-to-apples against 1070 because this will give people an idea how much more performance they get by paying more, and how the power consumption compares. But as these cards are not priced in direct competition to each other, making a full comparison seems pointless.

Look at the price 229-239 for rx 480 and on going price of 1070 is like 449 it seems. Haven't seen any reference stock card for 379.. So you are looking at a card thats 200+ I don't think you can compare directly to that.

Now if you get those OC beast mode RX 480 at 300 then we can see how much more faster 1070 is for another 100 bucks. That might be worthy comparison. Stock vs stock card its just to much of a price gap to call it fair comparison. Those who wanna spend 450 on a card shouldn't really be considering rx 480 stock card.

Cool.

How are you enjoying gaming on the 480?

Don't be a dick, throw us a bone ffs! :D

That list looked decent enough and Ashes of the singularity prolly done by every website, it becomes relevant again in the new form when the newer games using Nitrous are out.
A little birdy told me that DOOM / Vulkan is supposed to drop publicly on Monday. I would love to get that in there too, but we will have to see where we end up on timing.

I have mixed feelings about that one. You can get between where performance could be limited by drivers or just that their Vulkan code is something that works but rather lacking in optimization.
Not in the sense that any developers willingly writes shit code ;)

Well the Vulkan version of Doom, for what its worth, they did say they have been working closely with the IHV's on it, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Day 0 drivers when it comes out.

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings about that one. You can get between where performance could be limited by drivers or just that their Vulkan code is something that works but rather lacking in optimization.
Not in the sense that any developers willingly writes shit code ;)

I don't have mixed feelings about this one at all!

Drivers and hardware together are the PRODUCT. Plus some other less important parts like packaging, included games etc.

If the hardware has 1000tflops of potential performance but the drivers make the games play like shit, the the product is shit .

On the other hand let's say the 480 gives you xfire support on game releases that are butter smooth and with almost perfect scaling, then super product.

Drivers and hardware together are the PRODUCT. Plus some other less important parts like packaging, included games etc.

If the hardware has 1000tflops of potential performance but the drivers make the games play like shit, the the product is shit .

On the other hand let's say the 480 gives you xfire support on game releases that are butter smooth and with almost perfect scaling, then super product.

Agree completely.

You can't use the GPU without the drivers.

If you do have capable hardware held back by drivers - however - one thing that DOES tell you is that there at least is some potential (how ever unlikely it seems with AMD some days) for "free" performance increases down the line as the drivers improve.

I've learned the hard way (in my younger dumber years) not to count on that sort of thing though.

Kyle did say that (well I may be paraphrasing here) that the 200 USD card reviews they do don't seem to be viewed that much (sorry, I tried to look at them as long as possible, Kyle!) but that changed dramatically at the 250 USD mark. Since the 8 GB card puts it in the 250 ballpark (239 MSRP) maybe AMD strategically calculated that it would garner more page views here on [H]. :sneaky:

Looking at the NewEgg listings, it could be that at launch only the 8 GB variant will be available.
So AMD supplying that card to reviewers would reflect what you actually can buy come June 29th.

Looking at the NewEgg listings, it could be that at launch only the 8 GB variant will be available.
So AMD supplying that card to reviewers would reflect what you actually can buy come June 29th.

What i expect as a customer, is AMD to send samples of the product that all these past months have been praising, and this was the <200$ 480 4GB gpu. This was the target price that AMD have been praising, and now they will send review samples that cost >200$ o_O. personally i don't like marketing tricks.... at all.

IF that is the case then that is incredibly shady and shitty marketing from AMD. All the hype was built up around the $200 390x class card. If it's not going to be out until x time after launch then they really screwed the pooch in marketing the thing. Of course that is a big if. Who knows how accurate the accidental listings from Egg were. Could have only been a partial list, one that was apparently still not ready to go up due to the mistake of saying the cards had CUDA cores.

Looking forward to it. It's nice to see you and AMD bury the hatchet and play nice again.

According to NewEgg, the RX 480 was also sporting CUDA cores, so I'd take any placeholder listing with a salt-shaker's worth of salt.

Well this game is the first demanding Vulkan title and I'm not afraid of the drivers (for AMD side of things). Vulkan is a low level api .
But if you are realistic look at all the DX12 titles , how many are truly optimized for 8+ cores and push over 100K of batches ....

As a high refresh 1080p first person shooter gamer, I think some Geforce 10 features like fast sync will provide a better gaming experience without specialized sync hardware on the monitor (Freesync/Gsync).

I'm looking forward for RX 480 to push Nvidia for more availability and keep prices reasonable, but I'm not actually debating picking up a new AMD card.

I'm looking forward for RX 480 to push Nvidia for more availability and keep prices reasonable, but I'm not actually debating picking up a new AMD card.

If I were still at a lower resolution, I'd totally consider the 480 (well, I should probably wait for the reviews before I say that for sure, but based on my current assumptions this is the case).

The fact that I am at 4k - however - completely precludes that I will go with a 480. I might consider SLI in a pinch, but there is no way in hell I am ever touching Crossfire again.

To put it bluntly, I wouldn't fuck Crossfire with yours. :p

I am really looking forward to this review, and I like how the crew is planning on presenting it, really going to be looking forward to the 1070 vs 480 xfire.

With the card comparisons you have I think we can come to a conclusion that we are not seeing 980/390x performance. I stated 290x performance in another thread and I think that's where it will land.

If it doesn't overclock and hits the 150w TDP in games at stock, it will be a disappointment in my eyes.

If they aren't even comparing with a 980 or 390X then that possibly means the card is slower which is poor show after all the hype. I hope Kyle's trolling though and AMD has something special. Anandtech's tweet comparing the 480 to the 485/4870 series launch confuses the issue further since why would anyone think a 480 with 5.8 teraflops performing slower than a 390X is anything great?

With the card comparisons you have I think we can come to a conclusion that we are not seeing 980/390x performance. I stated 290x performance in another thread and I think that's where it will land.

If it doesn't overclock and hits the 150w TDP in games at stock, it will be a disappointment in my eyes.

No, it doesn't mean that at all. He originally was going to use a 390x, but after realizing the price differential, knocked it down to a 390. The choice of cards reflects what used to be the $200-$230 range cards (what the 480 is replacing by price) and what was the the next tier up from there (what the 480 was originally billed as replacing by performance). The 480 may end up meeting either set in their test bed or smashing all of them.

The point is, you don't know and the card selection they settled on says nothing about comparative performance. That's what the benchmarks are actually for. The same (flawed) logic that says doing a test with a 970 and 390 for 1440p means they're the same overall would mean testing a 480 with a 1070 and 1080 at 4k puts them in the same tier.

What? So people are bitching over $30 card difference just because AMD were crowing about the $200 price point?!

They have shipped a card, with 8gb which is a known variant of the card, and their highest performing one to an enthusiast site....

Christ, people will find anything to whinge about! (and that is saying a lot living in the UK after a little vote result we had today!)

What? So people are bitching over $30 card difference just because AMD were crowing about the $200 price point?!

They have shipped a card, with 8gb which is a known variant of the card, and their highest performing one to an enthusiast site....

Christ, people will find anything to whinge about! (and that is saying a lot living in the UK after a little vote result we had today!)
Well, i mean, if it turns out you can't buy a 4gb in retail for a month, then this $199 MSRP thing will be a solid reason to be salty.

So you better be able to do so.

First preview of the rx480 just like they said they would.

Google Translate

So yes, the RX 480 is really not crush GTX 1070 (upøímnì, although they have the same performance but a Memory Chip 1070 GTX has a full half bigger, the price difference is not responsible or little) even after OC, but especially in DX12 games will really close enough that someone will have over prices of some graphic enough to think about. Also, it will not "OC dream" with 30% of potential and a 1.6GHz on air as it nìkteøí incomprehensible painted, but after OC peaceful depress the tabs that are still selling recently for unloading high end prices. And once again reminded of, 4GB version costs even less than 6000, eight gigabytes less than 7,000 crowns at least thus pøepoètu. for that kind of money are we really such performance with that consumption and equipment market still bad, so if someone says that the RX 480 nepøináší nothing new, mill would put around the corner and slapped shuffle. Radeon RX 480 is the best mainstream graphics for many recent years and with it comparisons with R9 290x (and therefore R9 390 series and GTX 980) OR straight GTX 1070 is upøímnì little off, because the Radeon RX 480 replaces the straight position and priced Radeon R9 380 / 380X and Competitive GTX 960 and of course the previous HD 7800 / GTX 760. and against them is hell seconds and thirds in all respects. And so we will compare mainly R9 380 and GTX 960, because, again, the RX 480 is the mainstream at a mainstream price!

Well, i mean, if it turns out you can't buy a 4gb in retail for a month, then this $199 MSRP thing will be a solid reason to be salty.

So you better be able to do so.

You mean like nVidia advertising/marketing 1080s MSRP @ $599 & 1070s MSRP @ $380... But not being able to buy them at that price for a month?

Difference being, AMD is actually selling you a higher spec'd card first, and not just charging $30 for nothing ($70-$100 in nVidia's case).

Are we salty?

First preview of the rx480 just like they said they would.

Google Translate
Ironically they are now stuck in NDA as well, and they actually promised actual review but had some delays (and AMD seized the opportunity).
You mean like nVidia advertising/marketing 1080s MSRP @ $599 & 1070s MSRP @ $380... But not being able to buy them at that price for a month?

Difference being, AMD is actually selling you a higher spec'd card first, and not just charging $30 for nothing ($70-$100 in nVidia's case).

Are we salty?

Well, FE pricing did lead to some salt, so that question is a weird one.

And finally, who tells you will be able to buy card at MSRP in AMD's case too?

EVERYBODY SHHHHH

y51ucwh9da5x.png

I did read that its not even comparable noise wise between the 290x and 480 and better "fuel" consumption. :)

Well, FE pricing did lead to some salt, so that question is a weird one.

And finally, who tells you will be able to buy card at MSRP in AMD's case too?

The $10 AMD upcharge is on the AIB partners, not AMD. Let me know when you find a 1070 or 1080 at those MSRPs. I suggest that AMD will hit its MSRP before nVidia, with neither dropping below +$10 for a while.

Main point... AMD isnt raising the price over their $199 for the same card. The 4gb is still coming at $199 MSRP, but they have a different spec launching first... Different launch dates on the cards shouldnt exactly lead to salt imo. Its not like it is the same-specs card getting released, just at a different price.

Back