Radeon RX 480 Competition Poll

RX 480 is for surely a hot and debatable topic, no doubt it is sparking controversy across the web.

Knowing what is out there, with the price and specs announced already in regards to RX 480, In your opinion list the GPUs you think compare to RX 480 based on the information available. Comparison by Performance? Comparison by Price? What do YOU think is important for RX 480 from a gamers perspective?

I'm interested in your opinions.

Base it on price imo. I want to know what I can get for my dollar. In your conclusion and maybe 1 slide compare it to more expensive cards if the performance warrants but I would stick to price range comparisons

I am quite happy with the RX 480 performance. It's not the GTX 1080, or the 1070, but its a-lot cheaper and you don't really give up that much compared to say a 1070.

The biggest thing is RX-480 cost 229$ for 8gb model, the 1070 cost 449, is 10-20% more performance worth an extra 200$? granted that's founder edition price, but still. Combine that with the fact that most people are still rocking 1080p, not many folks need gtx 1080 class performance, and certainly don't want to spend 700$ for it.

I know [H] isn't usually one to do things this way and it'd be a time sink, but what about a comparison of similar launch price cards going a couple generations back? I'm the type of buyer who buys a video card for 2+ years of usage and would be really intrigued about what gains I would actually see from purchasing this coming from a 7870 that was in the same price bracket.
damn right, same boat here, 380x looked very nice gain, but price for where I live(Canada) really threw it off for me, and knowing 4xx series was around corner decided to wait, if this gives less power use less heat quieter AND seemingly will cost somewhat less then when I got my 7870s($120 less then one and ~$75 less then other at time of launch) I will be quite happy, cause there are a few times my awesome 7870 has to be "turned down" top get the best out of the game and my PHII 955 running 3.8Ghz :D IF RX470/480 are effectively going to be seemingly a good jump better for reduction in costs awesome for me I know a few buddies waiting to see what they truly bringing to the table.

Most want solid performance they can run at good settings without breaking the bank, breaking power bills or cooking their rooms, IMO RX470-480 seem like they will be exactly this, vs chasing top level performance(and resulting in less perf/watt type deal)or competing with Nvidia who has money to throw around doing price drops etc
AMD seems to have "learned" keep price at a more modest level they will win more sales(and they seem to have VERY learned from Bulldozer etc by focusing on smaller more efficent i.e APU, this seems like a similar approach) and take market share away cause we all know who is in it for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ alone vs doing the best they are capable of doing and trying to push the industry forward.

Cant wait to see :)

I'd like to see it compared to a 7950/7970. I understand it should dominate those GPU's but seeing as a lot of us are still using these it would benefit to see what we can upgrade to with these $200 class GPUs.

Throwing in a 290X or 390X would be helpful, those GPU's are still rather good and a bit pricier than $200. Of course I'm only listing AMD GPU's for now as I feel Nvidia's offering at $200 kind of sucks. GTX 960 is it and I'm not exactly thrilled with that at the price point.

Hmmm.....Good damn question. I would think to be fair i would say GPU's in it's price bracket? I mean thats how it has always been.

Even the horrible Nano which was priced at what? $649 (if im right) and was compared to other cards in the same bracket. Why wouldn't this card?

But with all the Hype and Drama and flamewars and bickering, How could you not compare to other cards that are higher priced?

Almost sounds like you might need 2 articles.

Reactions: MrC4
like this
Knowing what is out there, with the price and specs announced already in regards to RX 480, In your opinion list the GPUs you think compare to RX 480 based on the information available. Comparison by Performance? Comparison by Price? What do YOU think is important for RX 480 from a gamers perspective?

Considering where it is in the market, and the likely soon to drop price of a 970, I would love to see RX 480 OC vs GTX 970 OC. In reality, I'm not very likely to get a RX480 because I really like Shadowplay (I use it for general desktop recording nearly daily and pretty much can't live without the 20 minute buffer).

My next card up for consideration is going to be a used GTX 970 (or even 980 if the price is right) or wait for the 1060. I have a GTX 960 2GB and run 1080p. I won't be in the market for at least another month, if not two, so make of that what you will.

Brent reviews it and kyle can participate in the discussion and if Brent determines it earns the GOLD reward for price/performance then Kyle can tell us how he is going to find his source and kick him in the nuts!

Brent reviews it and kyle can participate in the discussion and if Brent determines it earns the GOLD reward for price/performance then Kyle can tell us how he is going to find his source and kick him in the nuts!

Kyle already stated for its price its good lol.

RX 480 is for surely a hot and debatable topic, no doubt it is sparking controversy across the web.

Most of your tests show three cards. So, bookend it. Use the 1070 to show the current generation performance gap. Use the 380 to show the generational performance gain.

I would also like to add Brent if you could. The new Blood and Wine expansion for The Witcher 3 really did up the graphics and is pretty demanding. Maybe can add it into the RX 480 benchmarks?

The reference RX 480s probably won't OC very much. But the AIB cards are probably going to OC very nicely. Those cards I'd like to see how far they can go and see their p/p.

The reference RX480 I'd like to see compared against their replacements. Honestly, I don't think anything else in its price range is going to hold a candle against it. Should be a very interesting review.
i think that all rx cards will oc like beasts reference might need better after market coolers.

as for perf point i see these killing the 980 non ti and taking a bite out of nvidia's $300-600 offerings after all for 460 we could do 2x rx 480 in cf for about single 1080 speed then oc them for stomp 1080 speed...

In this price range it is more meaningful to the reader to see how it compares to other cards at about the same price or budget.

Judging by the leaked benchmarks it trades blows with overclocked GTX 970. It would be nice to see which is faster after overclocking.

I would also like to add Brent if you could. The new Blood and Wine expansion for The Witcher 3 really did up the graphics and is pretty demanding. Maybe can add it into the RX 480 benchmarks?

Might not have time initially, but it is something I will look into, I have seen some videos on it, looks good.

...Then have one page in the article that compares it against a GTX 1070 at 1440p only (I know this isn't the main competition, but it would be interesting to see Nvidia's current best bang per buck GPU against AMD's). Then, if possible, have some sort of price to performance analysis of the two cards.

Almost right. It needs to be a head to head in the AotS DX12 bench ...also the most 'current tech' !

I think we have made some decisions on how to present our RX 480 review. Given its expectations performance-wise, we are going to step outside our usual comparing equally priced cards a bit and will have a new spin on our highest playable settings that we usually graph. Instead of showing all cards using highest playable settings, we will focus on finding what the best IQ settings are on the RX 480 and then we will set the comparison cards at the same settings. This will give us all "apples to apples" comparisons, but still will be focussed on what the RX 480 can actually achieve at a particular resolution. We are going to focus on 1440p and if we have time, we will hopefully be able to cover some 1080p as well.

Comparison cards Graphed: 480 vs 380X vs 960 - 480 vs 980 v 390X

I know many of you want to have 1070 compared as well, but honestly, for a launch review, I just do not see this as a fair comparison to the RX 480 and I think it will come off as trying to show the RX 480 in a "bad light." I think what would be more on point would be to go back and do a 480 vs 1070 review and then compare 480 SLI as well. This would give us a look at scaling and a better performance per dollar comparison.

Your thoughts?

I think this method and card set make sense - this will make 480 more of the focal point. If people want to see what the highest playable settings are for those older cards, they can go back to past reviews here and elsewhere.

Also, wouldn't worry about the 1070 comparison. Anyone who thinks a $200 card will match up to a $400 card in the same gen is a bit delusional.

I know many of you want to have 1070 compared as well said:
Your thinking is spot on since a 480 crossfire setup will be around the same price as the 1070. For the initial review, including cards in the same pricing ballpark makes the most sense.

That works for me. I like how you guys are using cards meant to be in the same performance class or slightly below/above it instead of price as we all pretty much know how that will go. It's at 1440P is where I hope it shines.

Being this a performance, but budget conscious card I would suggest that 1080p is very important for a launch review. Many people who the RX 480 attracts would likely still have 1080p screens as well. I'm not just suggesting this because I fall into this camp. :)

You're kind of missing the poll :p

Personally I think GTX 970, 980 and 1070 would be a decent comparison, although I think the 1070 will smoke it. On AMD's side, 390/390x. 1080P should be included this time since I think that's where it's really going to shine with some 1440P. No need for 4K, this card won't be able to handle it at any reasonable settings/FPS.

Comparisons should be at price point, as they always should be.

970s as of the time I post this, are still floating around $250+, with the nicer cards (Strix, MSI Gaming) still around $280. 960s have already cratered, with 4GB models being readily available for $180-$200. An 8GB 480 fits right in between both.

For an AMD comparison, 380x are still around $210-$230 and only a couple AIB 390s have actually dropped to the $260 range. My MSI 390 is still listing around $325.

For testing scenarios, I'd treat 1440p as a tertiary resolution. This is a "budget" card. People are mostly going to be trying to doing one of two things - driving their existing 1080p@60 monitors or attaching them to 4k TVs via HDMI for living room/home theater use. Reflect those use cases and what people can expect.

that's actually a great idea, and would be a great approach for every other GPU review..
I am actually already discussing that with Brent. The fact is that it would allow us a lot more time to cover more in reviews. Having to only dial in one card for Best Playable Settings would free up some other resources for sure.

Being this a performance, but budget conscious card I would suggest that 1080p is very important for a launch review. Many people who the RX 480 attracts would likely still have 1080p screens as well. I'm not just suggesting this because I fall into this camp. :)
I am still wrestling with this as well.

You're kind of missing the poll :p
I thought the same thing. :)

I agree that 1080p is probably more of a factor for those looking at purchasing this card...like myself. I'd be interested if you include some 1440p, but be more focused on 1080p. I want to know if it is worth jumping to from my 960 at 1080p.

Good feedback and reasoning guys, many thanks for sounding off. You are making me feel like for our launch review that 480 vs 380X vs 960 - 480 vs 970 v 390X focused on 1080p with hopefully time to follow up with some 1440p might be more valuable.

Oh and all cards at reference clocks as well. I do want to get a page of RX 480 overclocking in, but we would likely just have time to show what clocks we got rather than a full page of gaming runthrough comparisons.

New plan I think that makes sense

1 ap2ap graph at 1440p, 480 v 970 v 390X
1 ap2ap graph at 1080p, 480 v 380 (not X) v 960

Thoughts?

I just want everyone to keep in mind, for this inititlal launch this is a PREVIEW, the time does not exist for a flat out full on review out of the gate. We will have certain things tested, but we won't be able to get to everything we would want to initially. More will come, you can bet on that.

BTW, thank you all for the feedback, between our readers, Kyle, and myself this review will target exactly what you are interested in.

I think this is good, but I'd also argue that where the rubber hits the road is performance per dollar.

It would probably be worthwhile to include a comparison test at the $199 level (+/- maybe 25-50 bucks?)

You know, I am a kid and I have $200 to spend on a video card to stick in my eMachines my mom bought at Best Buy (do they still make those?) What is the best I can get for $200?
I guess I thought that was what exactly the 380X and 960 showed. What ~$200 cards are you referring to exactly?

Everyone is talking about RX480's relatively low price (200$), but i don't think that everyone here has understood that the 200$ will be the price for RX480 4GB version. The RX480 8GB version probably will be around 250$. So what i'm wondering is what the performance difference between those 2 versions will be.

Everyone is talking about RX480's relatively low price (200$), but i don't think that everyone here has understood that the 200$ will be the price for RX480 4GB version. The RX480 8GB version probably will be around 250$. So what i'm wondering is what the performance difference between those 2 versions will be.

I thought they recently said 8GB would be $229.

Well, to my knowledge, we have a 4GB card to test, so we are focussing on that price point right now. 8Gb will come, but until it does, we cannot really answer that question.

Thoughts?

I just want everyone to keep in mind, for this inititlal launch this is a PREVIEW, the time does not exist for a flat out full on review out of the gate. We will have certain things tested, but we won't be able to get to everything we would want to initially. More will come, you can bet on that.

BTW, thank you all for the feedback, between our readers, Kyle, and myself this review will target exactly what you are interested in.

That'll be good for a preview. Question: reasoning for using a 390X instead of a 390? Availability in the lab? Just curious.

OK, listening to feedback here, and discussing with Brent this morning, we are locked and loaded for our first RX 480 preview/review.

Focus on 1080p.

Use highest playable settings for RX 480 and lock all other cards in at that so all graphs are apples to apples.

Compare 480 v 970 v 390X on one graph, and compare 480 v 380 v 960

do you guys have access to any vr equipment? considering these cards are supposed to be "vr ready" would like to see if that claim is true.

Oh man, is this going to be what it is shown next to in the review? I know you guys only choose a couple to compare to for the reviews, but I will list a few more and the reasons.

R9 380x - compare to last generation $200-$230 - compare to last generation on the Tonga arch
GTX 970 - compare to last generation entry-VR
R9 390 - compare to last generation entry-VR
GTX 980 - compare to last generation performance part ($400+)
R9 390x - compare to last generation performance part ($400+)
R9 Nano - compare to last generation GCN 3

That'll be good for a preview. Question: reasoning for using a 390X instead of a 390? Availability in the lab? Just curious.
Yeah, looking at current 390/390X cost, I did not know they were that far apart........lemme discuss with Brent.

I thought they recently said 8GB would be $229.
Given what pricing for the GTX1070 and GTX1080 is like, I'd be kind of surprised if it can really be had for that.

Thoughts?

Maybe also include one of the not-quite-top-end 2x0 series cards, like a 280X? It seems to me that a 280X (or whatever the nVidia equivalent is?) is probably what the ideal buyer for the RX480 is upgrading from, so that person would find a direct comparison highly relevant.

Back