Radeon R9 R290X aims at $549 pre-tax price

he said 12:01 ET, Thats Eastern Time.

Alhtough thats a bit odd, isnt Kyle in texas?

Last edited:
you have to back out VAT before you convert

probobly more like 599 @ 15% vat.

In California, where I live, it's 7.5% sales tax.

So, doing the math...

$549.99 + 7.5% = $591.24 before shipping

That's $41.25 for sales tax, not $100 USD.

And, after shipping, it'll probably be just a hair over $600 total to ship from Newegg in City of Industry, CA (unless they use their warehouse in Kentucky) to my home in Riverside.

So... where do they charge 18% tax in the US of A?

If you were in Europe, I'd understand an 15% to 25% VAT since I have a few friends in Europe.

But, nowhere in the US is there an 18% sales tax unless you [unfortunately] live in Tennessee and that's 9.44% (probably higher now).

And quite a few states are also tax-free if you purchase online, assuming the store has no physical presence.

Both NewEgg and Amazon don't charge any tax where I live.

he said 12:01 ET, Thats Eastern Time.

Alhtough thats a bit odd, isnt Kyle in texas?

Yeah....Dallas, which is central....but technically it's midnight somewhere......as in where I live!! Craptastic boonie-ville NY.

This review will be published at 11:01PM ET tonight.

:O!

at least we know it's <$649 and is faster than a 780!

I didn't see that anywhere. But wahoo! Wonder when they'll be up on sale?

Off topic.....how do you feed this new audio stuff from the GPU to your receiver? Is there some kind of cable and where does it connect to the MB....never done this .:)

seems like uber mode is quite loud which is a big turn off if I just bought my GTX 780 Windforce rev 2 for 540.00 no tax , 3 percent cash back

I have heard reference AMD cards in a case and it sounds like a tornado . Especially during gaming it can get very annoying

Does anyone know for sure if this card will sound like?
To me it sounds like I should just keep my card until something better shows up

All this talk about noise is with the stock cooler right?

Hopefully something like the Gigabyte windforce or Asus triple slot DorkFortress or whatever it's called will be able to keep the 290x in uber mode without being too loud.

I haven't bought a mid-high end video card with a reference blower cooler in a while and don't plan on doing it again for a long time. My friend's GTX 670 is too loud and my 5850 was when overclocked too.

you're trading noise for a massive heat dump inside your case with aftermarket coolers

something nobody ever mentions

loud is pretty subjective.

my reference 7970 was deemed loud by reviewers, but i dont notice it.

Yeah....Dallas, which is central....but technically it's midnight somewhere......as in where I live!! Craptastic boonie-ville NY.

Wihich i suppose explains why the review is going up at 11:01. That would be his time, Central, which would be 12:01 Eastern time.

I didn't see that anywhere. But wahoo! Wonder when they'll be up on sale?

Off topic.....how do you feed this new audio stuff from the GPU to your receiver? Is there some kind of cable and where does it connect to the MB....never done this .:)

No extra connections, AMD passes audio through the HDMI output to the receiver, so just select your HDMI output as your default audio device and you are set.

you're trading noise for a massive heat dump inside your case with aftermarket coolers

something nobody ever mentions

when you have other means to cool your processor it doesnt matter

Have you heard a windforce compared to a reference amd cooler?
it is loud

loud is pretty subjective.

my reference 7970 was deemed loud by reviewers, but i dont notice it.

again

I have owned a 7970 GHZ reference cooler video card and returned it because it was ridiculously loud

i would not think of it as subjective if the R290 is anything like a 7970 and cooling it

I will gladly sacrifice 6fps for a silent case

Maybe the R290x will be different in terms of noise levels idk

Maybe the R290x will be different in terms of noise levels idk

I wouldn't count on it. Based on all the rumors so far, it seems like the only thing I could fault the 290x for is that the cooler looks cheap and cheesy. A pretty minor point, but when you consider how much money people spend on case bling, you'd think they could tart the thing up a little. That black plastic looks like it was made out of recycled cupholders.

when you have other means to cool your processor it doesnt matter

Have you heard a windforce compared to a reference amd cooler?
it is loud

yeah it does matter, even if you're on a custom CPU loop, that hot air is exhausting through your rad or if you're using an intake rad then you're reaallly dumping a massive amount of heat into your case

I'm astounded that no one has mentioned they want the superior sound processing . :rolleyes: :D

I'm really looking forward for the reviews, I wonder what the compute performance is like and if the 290x price does end up around $550, then I really wont care what my wife says, I'm getting it.

Wow, I'm glad that I'm sitting in the front of class so that everyone behind me can see what I'm browsing.

Man. At $550 I think I will really want one of these, if the performance rumors are true. Can not wait to see the review.

(Giggles) Waits to hear the collective groan at midnight from $1,000+ Nvidia Titan owners as they realize their cards have just lost half their value.
Talking about gaming performance alone? The 780 already devalued the Titan.

Compute performance? No other consumer card has touched the Titan yet...

I for one think it is an injustice! The fact AMD is holding card releases just to screw up your schedule for upgrading is a horrendous thing.

Someone should create a petition on Change.org to stop this heinous business practice!

Done.

https://www.change.org/petitions/amd-plan-their-product-releases-around-h-uber-member-batjoe

NnoGhN1.gif

come on...

he said IF he said that he would break the nda...IF

so he wasnt going to say that,,,

clear as mud to me...

lol

and since Kyle actually posted he was going to put it up at 11:01 central in the review thread, thats obviously 12:01 ET, he doesnt seems to be worried about getting in trouble.

im actually in Beantown, so i have to wait till midnight.

phoey...

But at least i have game one of the world series to keep me company till then.

im also curious what was inappropriate that got deleted, i missed it.

Last edited:
Woo! I'm stoked! Got my credit card loaded and ready! :D ... unless it has terrible coil whine *eyes gigabyte 7970 sitting in case menacingly*

i just looked at the review thread again, Kyle added CST.

There would be a lot of confused easterners looking for that review at 11:01 EST if he left it off.

lol

Back