Radeon R9 R290X aims at $549 pre-tax price

At maybe 35% fan. Your 80 degrees at 100% fan is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this forum. Congratulations.

load-temp.png

53409.png

Ok sure, maybe not 100%. But stock, absolutely.

EDIT:
edited for misinformation

EDITEDIT: Frankie you were right about the OCP link.

Last edited:
This thread is going to give me a smile for the rest of the day :) Thinking I'm in for a 290 then waiting for 20nm process next year.

load-temp.png

53409.png

Ok sure, maybe not 100%. But stock, absolutely.

Maybe not 100%? Lol.

That's what a temp target of 80 does.

Stating that it hits 80 degrees at 100% fan = flat out wrong. Implying that it can't overclock because the factory fan profile favors silence over sub 80 degree temps = ignorant in the extreme. You simply don't know what you're talking about.

Maybe not 100%? Lol.

That's what a temp target of 80 does.

Stating that it hits 80 degrees at 100% fan = flat out wrong. Implying that it can't overclock because the factory fan profile favors silence over sub 80 degree temps = ignorant in the extreme. You simply don't know what you're talking about.

I said maybe not 100% because I'm not sure you can set it to 100% (it's 85% in HOCP's review). You CAN overclock, but at what cost? I never said you couldn't.

EDIT: Frankie, I see what you meant about the OCP article, my bad lol. Regardless, it runs very hot. Being able to OC a Titan doesn't make it worth $350 over a 780.
900x900px-LL-766cb9de_Titanvs780chart2.png

I said maybe not 100% because I'm not sure you can set it to 100% (it's 85% in HOCP's review). You CAN overclock, but at what cost? I never said you couldn't.

I suggest you read the [H] review and maybe spend a little time trying to understand it, because you're extremely confused.

EDIT: Frankie, I see what you meant about the OCP article, my bad lol. Regardless, it runs very hot.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/05/23/nvidia_geforce_gtx_780_video_card_review/8

Idle is second lowest of the four, max load is tied for lowest of the four. I haven't seen anything (and you haven't shown me anything) that indicates that the Titan "runs very hot".

Being able to OC a Titan doesn't make it worth $350 over a 780.
900x900px-LL-766cb9de_Titanvs780chart2.png

I didn't say it did. I said it was stupid to pretend like the Titan can't be OCd.

This thread is going to give me a smile for the rest of the day :) Thinking I'm in for a 290 then waiting for 20nm process next year.

I would love to jump on a 290 but Physx is a big part of Planetside 2 and Hawken which are the 2 titles I play the most.

Might just wait until EOY and get myself a 770 for cheap.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/05/23/nvidia_geforce_gtx_780_video_card_review/8

Idle is second lowest of the four, max load is tied for lowest of the four. I haven't seen anything (and you haven't shown me anything) that indicates that the Titan "runs very hot".

I didn't say it did. I said it was stupid to pretend like the Titan can't be OCd.

Ok, that's fair, and I had already edited my posts for misinformation. The Titan can be OC'd and I didn't mean to imply that it couldn't, just that the available cooler isn't very efficient and other options weren't readily available. My point of view was from an ACX owner - my temps max out at 65C in SLI with the +38mv, 1150mhz core, +350mhz on the memory in a cramped Corsair 500R.

With that said, the difference in OC Titan and 780 is still minuscule. Titan owners should be proud of their purchase (and hopefully a surround setup to take advantage of the vram), but with the way BatJoe comes busting into every AMD thread to crap, it looks like a desperate justification. The impact his single post has on someone on the fence or less knowledgeable is detrimental to the industry and therefore us. I made a mistake in stating that the Titan runs hot without stating proper context, but at least I can apologize and edit it out to prevent someone believing it.

The R290X at $550 will dominate the market (*if* it performs), and there is NOTHING wrong with that. The only people its launch affects are people who recently bought Titans or 780's

the one that REALLY confuses me about batjoe, is does he even have a Titan? does he work for NV?
2 different quotes same person, less than 2 weeks apart!

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040247959&postcount=229

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040287216&postcount=71

Sorry, totally off topic, but I couldn't resist

He could be one of those Nvidia paid guys who goes around forums to put AMD down as much as they can. Possibly how he got his free Titan.

Or he is just BSing us and never bought a Titan and defending Nvidia.

Over at Anandtech, some people are claiming you can buy a new 780 GTX for $535, or that there will be a $100 tax for US people on the 290x (18%).

Why do new video cards from either company make people go crazy is beyond me.

LOL best line ever.

Will you guys be getting a BF4 copy early so you can do a retail review/benchmark?

No. We learned the hard way that using pre-release software usually leads to a lot of wasted work because of all the changes made by the time it hits the streets.

I think the only people getting early BF4 copies are videogame reviewers.

ehm im rather confused here:
its pre tax, so the final price will be around 650$
and that is more expensive that the 780 and nvidia is going to lower the price of this one shortly
and we know geforce 780 OC models can get faster that Titan

so why is 290x at 650 bucks a bargain ? we can already tell its not a Titan killer

and that is more expensive that the 780 and nvidia is going to lower the price of this one shortly

so why is 290x at 650 bucks a bargain ? we can already tell its not a Titan killer

So if the price is $550, you tell me where in the world you would pay 18% tax?

I know most americans will pay the $550 with no tax is they were smart enough, but come on no one is going to pay a $100 tax on a $550 product.

R9 R290X @ $549 would be a good move from AMD providing if 290x performance is better than 780. I would expect 780 to match the same price, but AMD will still take some market share at the top as it sounds like the better card on paper than 780. What's interesting is 290's price point. considering 280x is set at $299, 290 can be sold at $399, which is a great price for introducing such product. At this moment, Nvidia doesn't have a card that can compete with 290 around $399 price range.

290 at $399 with 780 performance levels would be pretty sick price/performance.

i would say $450 since the Asus matrix and Sapphire toxic are around the $350ish range.

w00t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to your logic a 780 would actually cost ~$800 AFTER TAX.... I'd say 290x is still a better deal....:rolleyes::cool::D

This is exactly the same type of fud that has been spreading all over different forums after the $549 number came out, paid shills must be working overtime today.

I know most americans will pay the $550 with no tax is they were smart enough, but come on no one is going to pay a $100 tax on a $550 product.

In Romania we have 24% VAT, so we will pay even more than 100$.

Europe is going to.

I don't really get the pricing rumors. 649 EUR incl VAT wouldn't normally result in a price of 550 USD.

All this talk about noise is with the stock cooler right?

Hopefully something like the Gigabyte windforce or Asus triple slot DorkFortress or whatever it's called will be able to keep the 290x in uber mode without being too loud.

I haven't bought a mid-high end video card with a reference blower cooler in a while and don't plan on doing it again for a long time. My friend's GTX 670 is too loud and my 5850 was when overclocked too.

Back