Radeon R9 R290X aims at $549 pre-tax price

$549 would be a great price, but my belief still stands: This is going to be purposely price hiked by the major retailers online and off.

So, $549 MSRP but probably $599 or higher at Newegg, Tigerdirect and other larger retailers. Then, probably $649 or $699 for Battlefield 4 Edition. I would really jump on it if it was $549, but going by previous [big] video card launches-- Nvidia and AMD-- it's going to be high at launch then tapers off afterwards.

Not really. The people who own a Titan have enjoyed the best single GPU performance for 9 months before AMD had anything to respond with. The Titan is the fastest single GPU available. You get what you pay for. It will end up being faster than what AMD has to offer. History has shown if you want to save a few bucks you buy ATI/AMD, but if you want the best performance you buy nVidia. And with new features such as G-Sync coming, it is a great time to be a nVidia owner in general. And when I read things from people with 780's thinking of getting rid of their card, I just laugh at how ridiculous to even be thinking that without knowing FACTS.

I fixed a few things in your post.

To be clear, people are blaming nVidia for high prices in video cards, but if AMD were actually on their game and keep up with their product releases it wouldn't be happening. 9-10 months to respond to the competition is a joke.

No, it's 100% nvidias fault for pricing their cards the way they do. They want to make money, like AMD does, they take a different approach.

EG: AMD released the 7970 which was clearly and considerably faster than a 580, at nearly the same price as the 580.

NV releases the Titan, which is again clearly faster than a 7970ghz ed card. at double the price.

and what's even more to blame? is the people that buy it make the company believe they can use this model going forward :p But there is always a market for everything.

To be clear, people are blaming nVidia for high prices in video cards, but if AMD were actually on their game and keep up with their product releases it wouldn't be happening. 9-10 months to respond to the competition is a joke.

You thread crap all over the AMD section as well, im sure thats what he was referring to.

I always get a good laugh at the people who blame AMD for Nvidia's high video card pricing. Nvidia is completely free to set whatever price they want. If they felt like selling Titan's for $600, they could have. Instead, they went into full wallet rape mode and decided to charge a cool grand for each one. That was completely Nvidia's decision, not AMD's.

You want to blame somebody for Nvidia's high prices? Blame the people willing to buy them despite the astronomical price tag. If nobody bought them, Nvidia would drop the price. Simple as that.

edit - I see a Titan in your sig. No wonder you're upset about a possible $549 R290X. You want somebody to blame for Nvidia's high prices? Look in the mirror.

Last edited:
If all the data so far turns out to be true I would be extremely pissed off as a Titan owner.

$450 in value lost. Sure the Titan is a few months old but cards typically don't lose 45% of their value in < 1yr.

However this is IF the 290X meets expectations and is really priced at $550.

the radeon 7950's have lost 50% of their value in <1 year.

I bought at $300 and most people don't want to pay more than $180 used.

No, it's 100% nvidias fault for pricing their cards the way they do. They want to make money, like AMD does, they take a different approach.

EG: AMD released the 7970 which was clearly and considerably faster than a 580, at nearly the same price as the 580.

NV releases the Titan, which is again clearly faster than a 7970ghz ed card. at double the price.

and what's even more to blame? is the people that buy it make the company believe they can use this model going forward :p But there is always a market for everything.

No, its not. Since AMD has nothing new for 9-10 months, of course they can price what they want. You need competition to match with new product to keep market prices down. You see it everywhere in other markets: mobile/tablet, etc. It is up for people to decide with their wallet what they want for what performance and features they get. The reason you are now seeing a 780 Ti, is now prices will ultimately come down for the vanilla 780 and other cards. Why? Because AMD has FINALLY responded with new product.

You compare the 7970ghz to the Titan. The Titan isn't just a a little bit faster, it is hugely faster, IMHO.

bf3-1920-average.png

Plus, if you invested into a Titan or any other nVidia card for that matter, forget PhysX, which is nice, but now you have the benefit of G-Sync, which is a game changer.

Last edited:
Plus, if you invested into a Titan or any other nVidia card for that matter, forget PhysX, which is nice, but now you have the benefit of now G-Sync, which is a game changer.

IT SURE IS IT HAS CHANGED THE WHOLE GAME ON EVERYTHING, INCLUDING LIFE IN GENERAL. ALL IN JUST THE SHORT TIME SINCE IT HAS BEEN RELEASED AND REVIEWED AND SHOWN DOING MROE THAN SMOOTHING OUT A PENDULUM SWINGING SLOWLY!
SINCERELY
-NVIDIA FAN1994

You compare the 7970ghz to the Titan. The Titan isn't just a "a little bit" faster, it is hugely faster, IMHO.
You compare the 7970ghz to the Titan. The Titan isn't just "a little bit" more expensive, it is hugely more expensive, IMHO.

IT SURE IS IT HAS CHANGED THE WHOLE GAME ON EVERYTHING, INCLUDING LIFE IN GENERAL. ALL IN JUST THE SHORT TIME SINCE IT HAS BEEN RELEASED AND REVIEWED AND SHOWN DOING MROE THAN SMOOTHING OUT A PENDULUM SWINGING SLOWLY!
SINCERELY
-NVIDIA FAN1994

We've seen more from G-Sync than we have of the beloved Mantle.

Even Johan Andersson said G-Sync is more important.

We've seen more from G-Sync than we have of the beloved Mantle.

Even Johan Andersson said G-Sync is more important.

So what you are saying is your claim is slightly less ridiculous than the idiots posting that mantle is the next great thing before it has been released? Good come back.

You compare the 7970ghz to the Titan. The Titan isn't just "a little bit" more expensive, it is hugely more expensive, IMHO.

I never said the Titan isn't expensive. I said you get what you pay for when the competition waits 9-10 months to release something new to compete with.

So what you are saying is your claim is slightly less ridiculous than the idiots posting that mantle is the next great thing before it has been released? Good come back.

No, I'm saying we have seen examples of G-Sync in use and the numbers to back it up. Yet we have not seen anything from Mantle.

Looks like this thread is on full blown derail mode :rolleyes: there was no need for it to turn into green vs red.

The only numbers I've seen have been a price. The same numbers are available for mantle. It just happens to be a zero.

The only numbers I've seen have been a price. The same numbers are available for mantle. It just happens to be a zero.

Oh really? You missed the numbers about frametime and latency in regards to G-Sync? Or all the reports about how it is built and how it works with the panels? You clearly haven't read everything.
PCPER has an interesting video with new info about G-Sync just posted a couple days ago.

There is also a great video of Tim Sweeney on LinusTechTips demonstrating G-Sync and explaining it.

I'd love to see a video about Mantle showing its supposed performance boost, but it doesn't exist, kinda like the 290X so far! :)

No, I'm saying we have seen examples of G-Sync in use and the numbers to back it up. Yet we have not seen anything from Mantle.

No you have seen what nvidia wants you to see. Anyone can make videos in there favor.

At $549.99, the R9-290x erases any thoughts that AMD and nVidia are once again price fixing, like they did Pre-Radeon 4870. If this card can crush a Titan (despite it getting really loud in UberMode) and cost almost half as much, it shows that AMD has an interest competing in the market. Hopefully this will have the GTX780 drop to $399, and the GTX770 down to $299(considering the already $299 R9-280x is already competitive enough with it.) Hopefully this could help inspire nVidia to resurrect the GTX670 as the GTX760 Ti with higher clocks for $250, and dropping the GTX760 to $200. AMD would help fix a lot of pricing issues and hopefully instigate nVidia to fix the performance gap between the GTX760 and GTX770.

if the 290X really sells for $550 and they also release a 290 non-x version then Nvidia will have no choice but to offer MAJOR price drops on the GTX 780 and new 780 Ti card...that will negate any slight performance gains by AMD and force them to compete on price alone which might swing things back in Nvidia's favor...as things stand today this is a MAJOR win for AMD...not even mentioning their incredible Never Settle bundles, Mantle API, console domination etc

if the 290X really sells for $550 and they also release a 290 non-x version then Nvidia will have no choice but to offer MAJOR price drops on the GTX 780 and new 780 Ti card...that will negate any slight performance gains by AMD and force them to compete on price alone which might swing things back in Nvidia's favor...as things stand today this is a MAJOR win for AMD...not even mentioning their incredible Never Settle bundles, Mantle API, console domination etc

Yeah it looks like a smart move for AMD. I'm pretty excited about the market in general with this news.

To this day I cannot understand fanboyism. I want more competition and lower prices. My only concern is performance/$

This is exactly where I'm coming from, I've owned nvidia cards exclusively for the past 10 years, and this gen I'm going AMD just because of better price/performance. That doesn't mean I'm going to crap on nvidia threads because I'm buying into the competition.

This is people desperately trying to justify their choice of purchase, which is just insecurity showing and right down sad, at the end of the day no one cares about YOUR choice, it's yours, not even the people replying to the troll posts.

No, its not. Since AMD has nothing new for 9-10 months, of course they can price what they want. You need competition to match with new product to keep market prices down. You see it everywhere in other markets: mobile/tablet, etc. It is up for people to decide with their wallet what they want for what performance and features they get. The reason you are now seeing a 780 Ti, is now prices will ultimately come down for the vanilla 780 and other cards. Why? Because AMD has FINALLY responded with new product.

You compare the 7970ghz to the Titan. The Titan isn't just a a little bit faster, it is hugely faster, IMHO.

bf3-1920-average.png

Plus, if you invested into a Titan or any other nVidia card for that matter, forget PhysX, which is nice, but now you have the benefit of G-Sync, which is a game changer.

Reading can alleviate a lot of your problems.

nevermind , there really is no point.. I give up.

This is people desperately trying to justify their choice of purchase, which is just insecurity showing and right down sad, at the end of the day no one cares about YOUR choice, it's yours, not even the people replying to the troll posts.

Actually, it would appear many people here do care, because the way people spin it is that if you spend $1000 on a video card you are an idiot, and that is no more right than people who say people who only spend $500 or $600 on a video card aren't. What you spend your money on is totally subjective.

In the end, we are all PC gamers, which is totally a niche market to begin with. Most people outside of it would think the money we spend in general is insane, but of course we would all tell them where to go :)
Most people think I give AMD a hard time because I am so pro-nVidia, in fact what pisses me off about AMD is they wait almost a year to release new product to compete with and that never goes with my schedule of upgrading.

Actually, it would appear many people here do care, because the way people spin it is that if you spend $1000 on a video card you are an idiot, and that is no more right than people who say people who only spend $500 or $600 on a video card aren't. What you spend your money on is totally subjective.

In the end, we are all PC gamers, which is totally a niche market to begin with. Most people outside of it would think the money we spend in general is insane, but of course we would all tell them where to go :)
Most people think I give AMD a hard time because I am so pro-nVidia, in fact what pisses me off about AMD is they wait almost a year to release new product to compete with and that never goes with my schedule of upgrading.

That's not what people are saying. They want you to STFU and stop coming into AMD threads, derailing them with you uber fanboyism and drivel.

So please just gtfo.

back on topic; I would like to see some benches of the 290 (non X). It could be this gens 7950. At the right price and overclock it could be a great buy,especially in Xfire.

back on topic; I would like to see some benches of the 290 (non X). It could be this gens 7950. At the right price and overclock it could be a great buy,especially in Xfire.

This is the card I'm going for, second fastest AMD card, cheaper, but still with the new features, audio, improved CF etc. If it hovers at around $450, I'm all in.

the 290 looks like a steal...definitely best price/performance bang for the buck card...plus the 290 won't be too gimped and will still have most of the important features including the 4GB of VRAM

I am sorry that you had to put up with all the trolls saying that you overspent on your titan. But that was the tiniest group of the population that frequent the AMD subforum here.. I am also sorry that AMD doesn't plan their releases around your upgrades, well that one I am not sorry for but it gave me a good laugh at least:p
Really though dude I appreciate this attempt to bring a bit of rationality to your posts here. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be your strongest suit. Have a good day though, no one here has any hard feelings, you were a fun bandwagon to jump on.

And yes as above, back on topic. I just bought 2 second hand 7950s expecting the 290x to launch at US$650. I'll be pleasantly surprised if $550 is correct. I have a few concerns that Crossfire might not work too well with the climate I live in without upgrading case and cooling. If it hits at $550 that might actually mean single high end cards are attractive again. I've got to say with the release of the 780ti things are looking great for choices at decent price points this next few months. I was really quite down about the state of prices (hence the 2x7950 upgrade.) But if 290x/290 are $550/$450 and gtx 780ti/780 were around that mark, well that's a lot of quality choices.

until i see reviews from reviewers on websites im not buying into any release date, i got fooled with the whole 15th date... fool me once shame on me... but not gonna happen twice :p

until i see reviews from reviewers on websites im not buying into any release date, i got fooled with the whole 15th date... fool me once shame on me... but not gonna happen twice :p

Well, you won't have long to wait. All indications so far show the NDA on the R290X dropping at midnight tonight EDT. The R290 looks to come out one week later on the 31st.

How dare AMD, a multinational company with 10,000 employees and over a billion in earnings, not run their entire business for what works best for BatJoe!?!?

I for one think it is an injustice! The fact AMD is holding card releases just to screw up your schedule for upgrading is a horrendous thing.

Someone should create a petition on Change.org to stop this heinous business practice!

Everything should revolve around wittle ol' BatJoe! In fact I am surprised this site isn't renamed "BatJoe's Hard|Forum so everyone can praise BatJoe!"

Might be a little long for a title.

Not really. The people who own a Titan have enjoyed the best single GPU performance for 9 months before AMD had anything to respond with. The Titan is the fastest single GPU available. You get what you pay for. It will end up being faster than what AMD has to offer. History has shown if you want to save a few bucks you buy ATI/AMD, but if you want the best performance you buy nVidia. And with new features such as G-Sync coming, it is a great time to be a nVidia owner in general. And when I read things from people with 780's thinking of getting rid of their card, I just laugh at how ridiculous to even be thinking that without knowing FACTS.

Did every Titan owner buy one on launch day?

Even if you did buy the Titan on day 1, which was unlikely, it was only 3 months before the 780 was released for $350 less and beating the Titan in benchmarks with $10 and $20 factory OC's and aftermarket coolers. [edited for misinformation, thanks Frankie :)] The worst part is that the Titan isn't powerful enough to max every game at above 1200p resolution. I guess your 3 months of glory was worth the $350 you paid the marketing machine.

And sure, G-sync is cool. Enjoy your 24" 1080p (launch price of $400 from Asus) TN panel with 6gb vram lol. It's also limited to display port, so I hope you have enough money to buy another Titan if you want more than 1 monitor.

I was a 780 3-way SLI owner (now 2-way because GK110 scaling sucks), and I truly hope AMD knocks this card out of the park. I bought my cards used because I knew nVidia never provides a good value whether it be from price gouging (like they did to you), 1-upping itself (like they did to you 2 times in a year [780/780ti]), or simply under-performing compared to AMD equivalents (look at all the 670/680/760/770 owners who can't compete with >$200 7950's anymore).

Last edited:
the one that REALLY confuses me about batjoe, is does he even have a Titan? does he work for NV?
2 different quotes same person, less than 2 weeks apart!

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040247959&postcount=229
Funny, my Titan wasn't gouged - I paid retail MSRP.

I've said it since the beginning R290X will be between $699-$799 and compete with 780. Titan will still be single GPU king compared to stock 290X. People thinking less than $600 are in dream land.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040287216&postcount=71
Actually, I didn't pay anything for my Titan.

Sorry, totally off topic, but I couldn't resist

Guys I'm totally not an Nvidia fanboy, but allow me to threadshit every single R9 290X thread in the forums

Did every Titan owner buy one on launch day?

Even if you did buy the Titan on day 1, which was unlikely, it was only 3 months before the 780 was released for $350 less and beating the Titan in benchmarks with $10 and $20 factory OC's and aftermarket coolers. What temps do Titans reach with those fancy coolers? 81C throttle limit with 100% fan? The worst part is that the Titan isn't powerful enough to max every game at above 1200p resolution. I guess your 3 months of glory was worth the $350 you paid the marketing machine.

And sure, G-sync is cool. Enjoy your 24" 1080p (launch price of $400 from Asus) TN panel with 6gb vram lol. It's also limited to display port, so I hope you have enough money to buy another Titan if you want more than 1 monitor.

I was a 780 3-way SLI owner (now 2-way because GK110 scaling sucks), and I truly hope AMD knocks this card out of the park. I bought my cards used because I knew nVidia never provides a good value whether it be from price gouging (like they did to you), 1-upping itself (like they did to you 2 times in a year [780/780ti]), or simply under-performing compared to AMD equivalents (look at all the 670/680/760/770 owners who can't compete with >$200 7950's anymore).

I love how every time the Titan comes up in a conversation people pretend like it can't be OC'd. Literally. Every. Time.

Lmao. Wow.

Nice find Digital. Were both quotes in the same thread...or?

Bets that he doesn't return. I'll start with a cool $20.

Majordomo deleted a bunch of our more personally insulting posts, so he may have got a talking to .....

Back