Radeon R9 R290X aims at $549 pre-tax price

tobi54

Limp Gawd
Performance between 780 and Titan

We got some new information about the soon to launch Radeon R9 290X. The card that is supposed to launch tomorrow, October 24th in the US and on the 25th in most parts of Europe. There is a time difference of 9 hours between Pacific Time and Central European time.
The Radeon R290X based on AMD’s new Hawaii chip and it should be selling later on the 24th in the US in etail and select retailers for $549 + tax, which sounds quite amazing for a card that can run faster than the Geforce GTX 780 and in Uber mode can even outrun the Titan selected games. EU listings point to €649 including VAT, which sounds about right. Its main competitor, the GTX 780, has an MSRP of $649, but Asus has cards listed for as little as $535.

Of course there is a catch. In quiet mode the card beats Geforce 780 in some games and benchmarks, not all of them. In Uber mode it needs a lot more power and ends up louder than the Radeon HD 7970 Gigahertz edition. People described the cooler noise in Uber noise as quite loud to us, but we must add that we still haven’t heard it firsthand. In Uber mode the R290X is fast enough to win against Titan in a few benchmarks, but not all.

However, there’s a caveat – our sources claim that AMD has not sent out the official price just yet, so even a day before launch it could still change.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/32915-radeon-r9-r290x-aims-at-$549-pre-tax-price

Radeon R9 290 (non-X) Launch Date Revealed

Around all the buzz surrounding the Radeon R9 290X, we're ignoring its smaller, more affordable sibling, the Radeon R9 290 (non-X). It's being reported that the SKU will be formally launched on the 31st of October, 2013. From leaked AMD presentation slides, we know that the R9 290 is based on the same 28 nm "Hawaii" silicon as the R9 290X, but with a lower stream processor count, standing at 2,560, and a proportionately lower TMU count, at 160. The rest of the components on the chip are untouched, it still features a 512-bit wide GDDR5 memory interface, holding 4 GB of memory. The GPU core is clocked up to 946 MHz, and memory at 5.00 GHz, churning out 320 GB/s of memory bandwidth. The leak also highlighted the review NDA lifting time for the R9 290X, which is tomorrow.

http://www.techpowerup.com/193056/radeon-r9-290-non-x-launch-date-revealed.html

If the pricing pans out, we can probably get the non-x 290 in the $400's. I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger on the 280X.

Last edited:
I'd have to say that I'm a buyer of the R9 290X at $549, it's actually about where I expected the non-X version to be. For the price of a Titan you could Crossfire them for the win. If NDA is really up tommorow then I'm looking forward to the reviews!

Rumored price is great. Hope the rumor turns out to be true.

Rumored price is great. Hope the rumor turns out to be true.

I hope so too..I believe that is where I initally pegged it (along with a lot of others of course) when we first started talking about it...If the 290 can be had for GTX 770 pricing +$50 mmmm....

i can get a 780 for about 550 euros, and that's the price i would pay for R290x IF it turns to be a good new generation gpu

(Giggles) People so eager to believe every rumor about AMD's last hope.
(Giggles) Waits to hear the collective groan at midnight from $1,000+ Nvidia Titan owners as they realize their cards have just lost half their value.

(Giggles) Waits to hear the collective groan at midnight from $1,000+ Nvidia Titan owners as they realize their cards have just lost half their value.

Indeed.

(Giggles)

You're so obviously non objective and biased that it really is quite annoying to be honest - you've had this pattern of posting in the AMD forum for some time now. To be clear, I own a 780 myself and really like nvidia - yet this posting style is extremely annoying and insufferable.. The card trades blows with Titan and costs 550$. Yet only someone clearly non objective like yourself would say that's a bad thing, which is hilarious considering the 290X is the reason for the holiday 3 game bundle from NV, the 780ti, and the vanilla 780 price cut in November. But according to you, "last hope". No offense, just stop posting, man. Stay in the nvidia forum to co-miserate with all the Titan owners there - I would say the same about anyone the die hard AMD fanboys. Both sides are non objective and are ANNOYING.

Last edited:

I will say this.

The price is $549 and when the card's fan is set to full range (anywehere from 0-100%) The 290x will match the performance of the TITAN but use a bit more power doing so.

I will say this.

The price is $549 and when the card's fan is set to full range (anywehere from 0-100%) The 290x will match the performance of the TITAN but use a bit more power doing so.

How much power is that (any guesses)? I've been looking for possible power draw numbers, nothing though.

I would say a bit more than the 7970 GHZ edition and the TITAN. So figure somewhere in the Mid 400 range.

I would wager 430-450 at full load.

this makes no fucking sense. If the 290X is 649€ in Europe it will NEVER be $549 in the States. We get 1:1 conversion... or even a tad less. All in all the difference between dollars ane euros gets mitigated by our VAT... but VAT ain't a 50%, so those values are totally wrong.

this makes no fucking sense. If the 290X is 649€ in Europe it will NEVER be $549 in the States. We get 1:1 conversion... or even a tad less. All in all the difference between dollars ane euros gets mitigated by our VAT... but VAT ain't a 50%, so those values are totally wrong.

how do you know for sure the 290X will be 649€ in Europe? the card hasn't released yet, perhaps the European prices you're seen so far are wrong.

I will say this.

We'll see. I don't believe the price. But I do believe that when the card is in its max performance mode it is going to be loud as an airplane turbine.

I didn't even realize that there was going to be a 290 non-x card...I thought the 290x was going to be the only 'Hawaii' based chip...this new info is fantastic both in terms of price and performance (the fan noise issue does concern me though)

I didn't even realize that there was going to be a 290 non-x card...I thought the 290x was going to be the only 'Hawaii' based chip...this new info is fantastic both in terms of price and performance (the fan noise issue does concern me though)

Aftermarket cooling solutions come out mid to late november supposedly.

Oct 31st: Surprise R9 295x with two 290 GPUs.

Nah, 2 full 290x GPUs w./ Dual Uber mode please! :D

R9 290x2 ?

That would seriously be awesome. It would also be the extra incentive I need to finally go full Water.

Nah, 2 full 290x GPUs w./ Dual Uber mode please! :D

R9 290x2 ?

That would seriously be awesome. It would also be the extra incentive I need to finally go full Water.

I bet if you maxxed out the GPUs in uber mode on dual R9 290x2 the lights would dim in your neighborhood! Behold the POWAH!

Wonder if NV or AMD will release any dual GPU cards based off the 290x/Titan/780. Would like to see some of those myself.

Two 290x GPUs would definitely be awesome, but since the 7990 was two 7950's it may end up as two 290s. Two 290x's may present the first 13" inch dual gpu card. /shrug

Two 290x GPUs would definitely be awesome, but since the 7990 was two 7950's it may end up as two 290s. Two 290x's may present the first 13" inch dual gpu card. /shrug
Wrong, the 7990 has 2 full 7970 dies...

at $549 i'm all in

I want to be, but I play a lot of TWIMTBP games unfortunately...I'll wait until benchmarks before I make a decision to either drive down to Microcenter and swap my 780, or wait until next month to grab a 780 Ti.

Ugh. First world problems. :(

If all the data so far turns out to be true I would be extremely pissed off as a Titan owner.

$450 in value lost. Sure the Titan is a few months old but cards typically don't lose 45% of their value in < 1yr.

However this is IF the 290X meets expectations and is really priced at $550.

You're so obviously non objective and biased that it really is quite annoying to be honest - you've had this pattern of posting in the AMD forum for some time now. To be clear, I own a 780 myself and really like nvidia - yet this posting style is extremely annoying and insufferable.. The card trades blows with Titan and costs 550$. Yet only someone clearly non objective like yourself would say that's a bad thing, which is hilarious considering the 290X is the reason for the holiday 3 game bundle from NV, the 780ti, and the vanilla 780 price cut in November. But according to you, "last hope". No offense, just stop posting, man. Stay in the nvidia forum to co-miserate with all the Titan owners there - I would say the same about anyone the die hard AMD fanboys. Both sides are non objective and are ANNOYING.

IF only I could like a post :)

If all the data so far turns out to be true I would be extremely pissed off as a Titan owner.

$450 in value lost. Sure the Titan is a few months old but cards typically don't lose 45% of their value in < 1yr.

However this is IF the 290X meets expectations and is really priced at $550.

Not really. The people who own a Titan have enjoyed the best single GPU performance for 9 months before AMD had anything to respond with. The Titan is the fastest single GPU available. You get what you pay for. It will end up being faster than what AMD has to offer. History has shown if you want to save a few bucks you buy ATI/AMD, but if you want the best performance you buy nVidia. And with new features such as G-Sync coming, it is a great time to be a nVidia owner in general. And when I read things from people with 780's thinking of getting rid of their card, I just laugh at how ridiculous to even be thinking that without knowing FACTS.

You're so obviously non objective and biased that it really is quite annoying to be honest - you've had this pattern of posting in the AMD forum (we aren't in the AMD forum, we are in the Video Card forum) for some time now. To be clear, I own a 780 myself and really like nvidia - yet this posting style is extremely annoying and insufferable.. The card supposedly/rumored to trades blows with Titan and supposedly/rumored to costs 550$. Yet only someone clearly non objective like yourself would say that's a bad thing, which is hilarious considering the 290X is the reason for the holiday 3 game bundle from NV, the 780ti, and the vanilla 780 price cut in November. But according to you, "last hope". No offense, just stop posting, man. Stay in the nvidia forum to co-miserate with all the Titan owners there - I would say the same about anyone the die hard AMD fanboys. Both sides are non objective and are ANNOYING.

I fixed a few things in your post.

To be clear, people are blaming nVidia for high prices in video cards, but if AMD were actually on their game and keep up with their product releases it wouldn't be happening. 9-10 months to respond to the competition is a joke.

Last edited:
I bet if you maxxed out the GPUs in uber mode on dual R9 290x2 the lights would dim in your neighborhood! Behold the POWAH!

Wonder if NV or AMD will release any dual GPU cards based off the 290x/Titan/780. Would like to see some of those myself.

Lol... I'd run that on a 30amp line, turn off the house heating, and put a clothes line behind the rig!

Almost running into 480GTX "Baconator" territory here....!

Back