Radeon HD 7990 And GeForce GTX 690: Bring Out The Big Guns

lol .. the last page reminds me of little league soccer -- everyone gets a trophy :)

AMD should either recruit that guy or buy and incorporate his technology in their drivers. hardocp should review Radeon pro and write an article .

There is alot that can be done with RadeonPro, but it is an "advanced" tool to use, however, performance gained can be astounding if done correctly.

this is for a specific game, but its theory can be applied to other games/apps http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=23180

I know the newest drivers being 12.11 made a huge performance improvment overall, but the clock speed changing/not sticking proper, temperature/power usage jump and other things are not cool. Hopefully when it goes WHQL alot of the "bugs" can be sorted out. AMD is small in comparison to Nvidia for thier development teams etc., but they cannot "afford" to tick thier users off right now lol.

But yeh, dynamic Vsync allowing 2 cards to have less trouble in stuttering then a single card is just crazy.

Yeah, Radeon Pro is great, been using it for years. Probably one of the reasons I don't understand what all the fuss against AMD cards in the first place... Should try using my cards without it to see.

Is Radeon pro really supported any more? It hasn't been updated in a really long time. Its a great piece of software but sadly isn't where Nvidia inspector is. AMD really should either hire that guy or write their own piece of software that offers a fraction of the flexibility of Nvidia inspector.

Yes we all know that capping the framerate helps eliminate microstutter. Thats something that you can do in the Nvidia control panel. Thats one feature that I would love to see amd add. I would like the option to use it without vsync although I may have to try it in radeon pro.

Is Radeon pro really supported any more? It hasn't been updated in a really long time. Its a great piece of software but sadly isn't where Nvidia inspector is. AMD really should either hire that guy or write their own piece of software that offers a fraction of the flexibility of Nvidia inspector.

He (japamd) still is supporting radeonpro. :) You have more and easier control with radeonpro then with Nvidia inspector. The only thing I like better with Nvidia inspector, is that you access the Nvidia game profiles directly, so its more automated. AMD should really hire that guy and Nvidia should hire the Nvidia inspector guy!

Yes we all know that capping the framerate helps eliminate microstutter. Thats something that you can do in the Nvidia control panel. Thats one feature that I would love to see amd add. I would like the option to use it without vsync although I may have to try it in radeon pro.

Its more then capping framerate when using the dynamic v-sync in Radeonpro. The results are amazing. Kudos to Japamd for this. AMD should take a page out of his book!

Here's the best option from SLI (adaptive v-sync):

Detail%20Frame%20Rate%2003%20SLI%20Adaptive%20VSync.png

Here's Radeonpro with CFX and dynamic v-sync:
Detail%20Frame%20Rate%20Crossfire%2005%20DVC%2040%20fps.png

Single card for reference:
Detail%20Frame%20Rate%20Single%20Card.png

Last edited:
Thats great to hear, What is the latest build? I have a beta that he posted a rage3d a few months ago. Is there something more recent?

Are you sure that its not just a framerate cap? Still, I'm going to have to try out that dynamic vsync.

Edit: I just downloaded the latest build from guru3d.

Last edited:
OMG, that Dynamic framerate control is amazing. I just tried Stalker Clear Sky which I've always have horrendous microstutter with and it was smooth as silk.

Thats great to hear, What is the latest build? I have a beta that he posted a rage3d a few months ago. Is there something more recent?

Are you sure that its not just a framerate cap? Still, I'm going to have to try out that dynamic vsync.

Newest build will come this saturday according to Japamd. :)

Hey guys, this saturday 11/10 I'll publish the newest RP build, there's lots and lots of changes and RP is now compatible with Windows 8 for both 32 and 64-bit apps.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4449427&postcount=6048

Newest out now, is this preview:
http://www.radeonpro.info/Download/RadeonPro_Preview.exe

DVC not just a framerate cap. Here's from Japamd:
- New: Dynamic Vsync Control (DVC) support. This feature controls how vertical synchronization is applied at rendering time, automatically turning it off when frame rate is below monitor's refresh rate to reduce stuttering and turning it on when framerate is above or equal to monitor's refresh rate, improving smoothness.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4420198&postcount=5714

DFC (dynamic framerate control) is more of a framerate limiter, but that also does more:

That was easy, isn't? Yeah, DFC stands for Dynamic Framerate Control. It will allow the user to set a framerate target and RP will try to keep the framerate as close as possible of the target, while maintaining gameplay as smooth as possible too. So far I could test a few titles like Crysis (DX10), Metro 2033 (DX11) and some DX9 titles like Alan Wake and Fallout NV (DX9), with 30 FPS target the gameplay is pretty smooth, without the input lag observed when half refresh (double vsync) is used. Implementing a framerate cap is not difficult, the hard part is keep frame rendering times near of each other to avoid stuttering. Stay tuned to seeing it in action, I think you're gonna like it
http://forum.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4388393&postcount=4847

OMG, that Dynamic framerate control is amazing. I just tried Stalker Clear Sky which I've always have horrendous microstutter with and it was smooth as silk.

Japamd is a genius and deserves a lot of credit for his Radeonpro! If only AMD's driver team would pick up on his work and adopt it into the drivers, the community would be much happier with their cards.

I even donated mooney to him last year because I liked RadeonPro so much. I've been using AMD/ATI cards for the last 6 years until a few months ago when I chose Nvidia this time, but I had been using RadeonPro for the last 2 years or so and loved the features it offered compared to the CCC. In my opinion, no AMD owners should be gaming without RadeonPro.

Its a new world with Radeonpro, even single card users benefit from very smooth gaming with this. Many have said earlier in the [H] amd section that there should be a sticky for Radeonpro there. :)

Nice tool, but the fps cap is nothing new. It has it's drawbacks unfortunately - for it to eliminate microstutter all the time you have to set it to your min fps, which of course ruins any scaling you have from SLI/CF.

Was toms using the wrong tern in their review?

I don't see a way to set Dynamic vsync to 40fps in Radeon pro. Dynamic framerate control, yes and it works well.

That dynamic vsync sounds great, just like Nvidia's adaptive vsync.

Its a new world with Radeonpro, even single card users benefit from very smooth gaming with this. Many have said earlier in the [H] amd section that there should be a sticky for Radeonpro there. :)

I agree, I wish that I had tried that a long time ago. I can't wait to play around more with that tool.

If I can use SMAA with Crysis 2, I'm going to be very happy. It doesn't work with the injector.

It has an OSD too!!!

I even donated mooney to him last year because I liked RadeonPro so much. I've been using AMD/ATI cards for the last 6 years until a few months ago when I chose Nvidia this time, but I had been using RadeonPro for the last 2 years or so and loved the features it offered compared to the CCC. In my opinion, no AMD owners should be gaming without RadeonPro.

I totally agree. RadeonPro is the best program that has been made for AMD drivers. It should come on the driver CD's, since they enable AMD users to get the most out of their cards.

Great that you donated to him! He deserves it for this product. I would even buy it, if it wasn't free. :)

Was toms using the wrong tern in their review?

I don't see a way to set Dynamic vsync to 40fps in Radeon pro. Dynamic framerate control, yes and it works well.

That dynamic vsync sounds great, just like Nvidia's adaptive vsync.

I agree, I wish that I had tried that a long time ago. I can't wait to play around more with that tool.

If I can use SMAA with Crysis 2, I'm going to be very happy. It doesn't work with the injector.

It has an OSD too!!!

Toms were probably using dynamic vsync. I haven't tried that out myself, but you can limit the refreshrate according to the fps you want. 40hz gives 40fps in vsync.

Edit: Their screenshot shows dynamic framerate control being used though, so you might be right.

Let me know if SMAA works with Crysis 2. :)

Last edited:
wow, this guy is on par with the hybrid physX "cake" guy

Toms were probably using dynamic vsync. I haven't tried that out myself, but you can limit the refreshrate according to the fps you want. 40hz gives 40fps in vsync.

As soon as I switch over to dynamic on the vsync selection. It grays out the framerate limiter option. After checking Toms screenshot they are using "always on(double vsync)".

As soon as I switch over to dynamic on the vsync selection. It grays out the framerate limiter option. After checking Toms screenshot they are using "always on(double vsync)".

It looks like you are right. In their screenshot, they are actually using Dynamic Framerate Control and not Dynamic Vsync Control.

Underneath the vsync selection, you can select a refreshrate option. This might limit your dynamic vsync to the set refresh.

I haven't tried out DVC, so I cannot say for sure the best way to get it optimal to your liking. :)

just installed this and it basically eliminated the annoying "hitching" i was getting in F1 Online: The Game. Yipeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John ftw.

It was unstable way back when I was still using the 6990 but it looks like it's been polished very well. Time to donate!

Edit: Just read the review, everyone wins!

Last edited:
I hate Toms.

The power consumption is insane. The 690 at 341 watts and the 7970x2 at 574 watts!

With what? 10 months prior to these 7990/7970 cards, the 690 is still an impressive card. 2 slots, single fan and was an instant hit out of the gate. These AMD cards are insane though. Just massive monsters. Shame they didnt show up until so late in this generation.

These cards are so expensive. But after all I think they are worth every penny. They are really fast.

HMMMMMMMM......
Still think once the guy goes to AMD he will lose all of his talents and still fuck up drivers. I swear they are cursed.

Droc--the 7k cards came out ahead of the 600 series cards 77xx 78xx 79xx release dates were feb-mar-jan respectively.

I think the main reason why the power draw is as it is, the AMD cards were built using one version of 28nm so pushing the clocks def pushes thier power up, vs nvidia which actually made a very good manufacturing choice this time, and waited for the other 28nm process and thier power is alot more stable at high or low clocks.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out for the 8k and 700 series coming out very soon.

Droc--the 7k cards came out ahead of the 600 series cards 77xx 78xx 79xx release dates were feb-mar-jan respectively.

I think the main reason why the power draw is as it is, the AMD cards were built using one version of 28nm so pushing the clocks def pushes thier power up, vs nvidia which actually made a very good manufacturing choice this time, and waited for the other 28nm process and thier power is alot more stable at high or low clocks.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out for the 8k and 700 series coming out very soon.

He is referring to dual-GPU single cards.

Back