Radeon HD 7970 into GHz Edition by bios

That's right, you can oc to the same values, so i don't see the point.

and the risk of flashing gone bad.
and the time spent.
I find my new card is good to go with msi afterburner and find no reason to flash it and I am a tech savy.

Can anyone give instructions on how to flash back to the original BIOS just in case?

Can't you just use the bios switch?

Some of us dont have bios switch. My xfx core edition and dc2 dont have one. dc2's switch supposedly just switches between dual and single link dvi. Tho mine has 2 different bios version which suggets 2 individual bios's.

Just did the BIOS flash and things went smoothly (using a reference PowerColor 7970). The update process lasted about 1 minutes, and I rebooted after it was completed. I backed-up my original BIOS, just in case.

I tested with FurMark and everything appears to be running perfectly.

Last edited:
Can anyone give instructions on how to flash back to the original BIOS just in case?

First save the original BIOS using GPU-z.......you click the little green icon next to (on the far right) the BIOS Version line.

Copy and Save this BIOS somewhere, name it originalBIOS.bin or whatever.bin

In ATIWinflash you would then flash back to the original BIOS in the exact same manner you flashed into the GHz BIOS, substituting your originalBIOS.bin

I have full step by step instructions for ATIWinflash if you need them.:D

You shouldn't use atiwinflash on a video card without a dual bios. Also it doesn't hurt to load up optimized defaults before booting into DOS to flash.

http://legitreviews.com/news/13622/

1GHz BIOS is being hosted on legitreviews. I am personally waiting for sapphires 1GHz edition BIOS to be uploaded at techpowerup before I make the jump. I am not sure what flash utility you guys are using. The last time I flashed my ATI card I used ATIFLASH (Dos mode). I am still waiting for more input before I make the jump myself. I don't want to brick my card. But I do have an extra BIOS switch :)

Given it a try and all I get is an error message stating:

'Adaptor 0 Invalid PC BIOS image'

I've tried switching the BIOS chip on the card, but then I get an error stating the BIOS could be erased, so I am on the right BIOS with this flash error message afaik. I've also tried flashing the extract bios with atiflash in DOS but then when I install the 12.7 beta drivers, it tells me there are no compatible graphics cards installed. Any other ideas?

Last edited:
You shouldn't use atiwinflash on a video card without a dual bios. Also it doesn't hurt to load up optimized defaults before booting into DOS to flash.

Why do you say that?

If the GHz BIOS doesn't take, you simply reflash to the saved original BIOS.

I've used ATIWinflash on several HD 6950 cards that had no dual BIOS and there was no problem.......on two of the cards the shaders didn't unlock, so I simply flashed the card back to the stock BIOS...... I did use MS-DOS commands however.:D

Why do you say that?

If the GHz BIOS doesn't take, you simply reflash to the saved original BIOS.

I've used ATIWinflash on several HD 6950 cards that had no dual BIOS and there was no problem.......on two of the cards the shaders didn't unlock, so I simply flashed the card back to the stock BIOS...... I did use MS-DOS commands however.:D

What happens if you have a bad flash or there is some sort of other issue? Do you know how to blind flash? That isn't going to happen from Windows, thats for sure.

It never hurts to minimize variables.

What happens if you have a bad flash or there is some sort of other issue? Do you know how to blind flash? That isn't going to happen from Windows, thats for sure.

It never hurts to minimize variables.

If something happens where you temporarily brick your card from a bad flash, you can just boot up using a spare card, or even integrated graphics then reflash using the original bios. And remember to always back up your original bios.

Yep you may use IGP or a spare card to get a video signal if the card that was flashed gets corrupted.

I put Atiflash on a bootable USB flash drive with my original BIOS and the new BIOS. I prefer to flash like that. I used the old HP tool to create it. If you want that and some old boot files try below. I've also linked GPU-Z for saving your BIOS and Atiflash.

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...dusb-for/9fd9067a-d327-4ba5-8aca-0f33501b87a4

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2099/ATIFlash 3.95.html

I have an HD 6870 I bought when their prices went very low. I keep it in case my 7950 fails for whatever the reason. Obviously, it's useful for bad flash situations too. Doing the above, I've never permanently lost a card. I've only had two bad flashes in all my time flashing cards, I was able to restore both with their original BIOS using ATiflash from a bootable USB flash drive.

BTW I believe the below BIOS is the same one that is being discussed in this thread.

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/122148/ATI.HD7970.3072.120607.html

Last edited:
When did [H] become a pussy forum... :LOL:
I think I will give this one a shot. Currently, my card does 1100/1575 using default volts but if I can go higher within CCC I would rather use that than a third party utility like Trixx.

How are the tempratures like after the flash. That is important to me since I don't want to increase fan speed beyond 20% which is where it stays even with my high overclock.

Hi guys.. i would ask help in my xfx 7970 double d edition.. i bricked my bios trying to flash the ghz one. now im trying to flash the original bios using ATIWinflash in windows but I get the error "SubsystemID s mismatch'' I read that you need to bypass the security of the rom.. something like that.. I even tried flashing it through cmd command using the -f -p 0 romname.rom.. but still nothing.. would appreciate the help guys. thanks!

Last edited:
Information on how to safely flash your video card and recover it has been around for years. If you use ATiflash from a bootable USB flash drive it's actually easy to blind flash a card back to its original BIOS. You don't need IGP or a spare card. Just make sure your USB drive is set to be the first boot device from your motherboard BIOS before you get started flashing. Also rename the original BIOS and the new BIOS with short simple names or write them down so you don't forget.

You flash your card with a new BIOS and don't get a video signal after resetting your computer? Wait until you're sure it's at the DOS command prompt again; atiflash -p -f 0 <Original BIOS name>.rom, enter, wait ten seconds, reset your computer. Done.

The BIOS is out there by itself. You don't have to use the app from within windows.

I'm not using the BIOS in this thread. I'm using another from VTX3D. For me, flashing my card wasn't scary or difficult.

Last edited:
If something happens where you temporarily brick your card from a bad flash, you can just boot up using a spare card, or even integrated graphics then reflash using the original bios. And remember to always back up your original bios.

Why people choose to do this instead of just overclocking it is beyond me. :rolleyes:

Why people choose to do this instead of just overclocking it is beyond me. :rolleyes:

I completely agree. Just overclock the card to 1050 (I haven't seen a 7970 that won't hit this number) and be done with it. No bricking the bios, no fuss, no muss.;)

I completely agree. Just overclock the card to 1050 (I haven't seen a 7970 that won't hit this number) and be done with it. No bricking the bios, no fuss, no muss.;)
most unneeded flash ever?

most unneeded flash ever?

Not necessarily.

This BIOS will allow higher clocks directly in the Overdrive function of the CCC.

This would be an advantage in Crossfired configurations.
Most if not all the current third party software doesn't like Crossfire.

With this flash you don't have to fiddle with the ULPS, no "enable unofficial overclocking" no nothing.

I see some definate benefit. Of course the cards can do 1050 standing on their heads. My son's run at 1125/1500 all day long.:D

Not necessarily.

This BIOS will allow higher clocks directly in the Overdrive function of the CCC.

With this flash you don't have to fiddle with the ULPS, no "enable unofficial overclocking" no nothing.

I see some definate benefit. Of course the cards can do 1050 standing on their heads. My son's run at 1125/1500 all day long.:D

Ah then its a good idea to flash, i agree that software can make things hard to troubleshoot if there are some instability issues, mostly your not sure if software is the issue, or oc instability. Big props to AMD to allow users huge overclocking potential without being scared of RMA's etc.

Not necessarily.

Be interesting then for those with crossfire/tri/quad if it allows a smoother and easier use.
I dont wanna flash my card since no benefits.
chugging along at 1200mhz.

Back