Radeon HD 4870 X2 in CrossFire or Single GTX 295

gamersbd

n00b
I'm going to build a new PC soon, with core i7 920 (overclocked of course :)), 6 gigs of RAM and Vista 64 bit. Anyway, I was wondering whether I would get a major performance boost if I ran two Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 X2 in CrossFire over a single BFG GTX 295. I've heard that games don't scale well over quad GPU setups.

I currently have two Sapphire HD 3870 X2 in CrossFire, so should I run with this instead? I'm happy with it so far even at 1920X1080p resolution.

They don't scale well, but the X2 Crossfire setup would be overall faster than a single GTX 295 obviously.

If all the games you play run fine with your current setup, I don't see the need to upgrade, unless you have that much money to spare :)

IMHO the speed increase running xfire does not justify the cost. I think single card setup is still a more optimal solution.

GTX 295...Sandwich board...don't even look forward for it, I am having some issue with it already...

Overall, I would suggest either wait for GTX 299( if it ever exis ) or HD 4890 ...

but if you really want to grab one now, I would suggest 4870X2...not CF..

Thnx. From reading around, I find that a single card solution is the best way to go. GTX 295 is the fastest single card available, but as shansoft pointed out, he's having issues. So, I think I'm gonna hold out until the next wave of card releases (maybe the Radeon 5xxx series), since the 3870 X2's in CrossFire that I have really performs well.

two x2's on a 30" monitor is as close to gaming nirvana as you're going to get. that being said, its not in any way, shape, or form a cost effective solution. it should best a dual gtx 295 solution in some of the newest titles but nvidia seems to always have an advantage when it comes to cryengine 2 games. dual x2's and dual 295's are equivalent in performance. dual x2's are certainly faster than a single 295. don't even bother with either of these quad gpu solutions unless you have a 30 and you can live with being disappointed half of the time.

Thnx. From reading around, I find that a single card solution is the best way to go. GTX 295 is the fastest single card available, but as shansoft pointed out, he's having issues. So, I think I'm gonna hold out until the next wave of card releases (maybe the Radeon 5xxx series), since the 3870 X2's in CrossFire that I have really performs well.

best is single GPU, single card with dual GPU always gives you some issue...:D

Go with the GTX 295 it will last for 2 years at least (future proof). Of course the name might change to something like GTX495ftmw edition, but only the joe averages will get fooled and you'll get the last laugh.

Go with the GTX 295 it will last for 2 years at least (future proof). Of course the name might change to something like GTX495ftmw edition, but only the joe averages will get fooled and you'll get the last laugh.
that would be like saying the 9800gx2 was future proof.

two x2's on a 30" monitor is as close to gaming nirvana as you're going to get. that being said, its not in any way, shape, or form a cost effective solution. it should best a dual gtx 295 solution in some of the newest titles but nvidia seems to always have an advantage when it comes to cryengine 2 games. dual x2's and dual 295's are equivalent in performance. dual x2's are certainly faster than a single 295. don't even bother with either of these quad gpu solutions unless you have a 30 and you can live with being disappointed half of the time.

^This^ If you have the money to blow, go with 2x 4870 X2s (I love mine). If you're more sane, go with a single 295. If you're practical, get a single 285 leave the option open to get a second card later. For a more reasonable high-end solution, go for a 4850 X2 2GB.

Also correct that you ABSOLUTELY need a 30" monitor to take advantage of these cards, otherwise it's a waste.

I'm going to build a new PC soon, with core i7 920 (overclocked of course :)), 6 gigs of RAM and Vista 64 bit. Anyway, I was wondering whether I would get a major performance boost if I ran two Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 X2 in CrossFire over a single BFG GTX 295. I've heard that games don't scale well over quad GPU setups.

I currently have two Sapphire HD 3870 X2 in CrossFire, so should I run with this instead? I'm happy with it so far even at 1920X1080p resolution.

I think you would be quite happy with a single 4870X2. Right now I am not liking the GTX295 (I haven't used it but not liking what I am hearing). and there isn't much benefit from going quadfire at that resolutions (or at all really) though I understand that it scales much better on an i7 (H didn't have an i7 board to test their quad gpu review so you should look elsewhere for the time being)

I have my gaming PC connected to my 46 inch Sony LCD @ 1920X1080p resolution. But, since my current 2 Sapphire HD 3870 X2 in CrossFire is performing well, I just might hold on till the next wave of gfx card releases.

I think you would be quite happy with a single 4870X2. Right now I am not liking the GTX295 (I haven't used it but not liking what I am hearing). and there isn't much benefit from going quadfire at that resolutions (or at all really) though I understand that it scales much better on an i7 (H didn't have an i7 board to test their quad gpu review so you should look elsewhere for the time being)

I'm also hearing negative stuff about the GTX 295. Can you tell me exactly what's wrong with it?

I'm also hearing negative stuff about the GTX 295. Can you tell me exactly what's wrong with it?
I'd be interested to know what specific issues people are having with it as well.

Anyway, I'd recommend the GTX 295. It's a great performer and I haven't had a single serious problem with it since I installed it at release. Worst thing I can say about it is it runs very hot, but that doesn't cause any problems for me except that I sometimes have to crack a window after hours of gaming :p.

the 4870x2's get extremely hot as well. i don't understand why people make this an issue. premium video cards have been the hottest parts of their product line for a very long time.

I'd be interested to know what specific issues people are having with it as well.

Anyway, I'd recommend the GTX 295. It's a great performer and I haven't had a single serious problem with it since I installed it at release. Worst thing I can say about it is it runs very hot, but that doesn't cause any problems for me except that I sometimes have to crack a window after hours of gaming :p.

thats one of the problem..

with CPU on air, the CPU temp rise up about 3-5c on idle..

it annoys me..

and some game like Warhead keeps crashing for some reason..

but normally it runs butter smooth, it just Warhead and some Jap MMORPG that gives me glitch, but I really dont think anyone here plays those, so it wouldn't be a problem lol..

another big problem I am having with is that stupid display driver error....AH!!!!
I still cant figure out wth is wrong with it, it only happens on my Vista 64 OS, it happened with my old 8800GTX and GTX 260 too...

but overall, GTX 295 is a good card if its not sandwich board....

wouldn't recommend it to anyone...
if people really want a Dual GPU with single card, I suggest 4870X2..
if looking for problem-less solution, I suggest GTX 280/285 for fastest single GPU...
or wait for something even more better...GTX 299/HD 4890..

the 4870x2's get extremely hot as well. i don't understand why people make this an issue. premium video cards have been the hottest parts of their product line for a very long time.

Same here. My 3870 X2's run around 80 deg. cel. on full load. No crashes though. Its just the way high end parts run :D

GTX 295...Sandwich board...don't even look forward for it, I am having some issue with it already...

Overall, I would suggest either wait for GTX 299( if it ever exis ) or HD 4890 ...

but if you really want to grab one now, I would suggest 4870X2...not CF..

lol... 4870x2 *is* crossfire...

thats one of the problem..

with CPU on air, the CPU temp rise up about 3-5c on idle..

it annoys me..

and some game like Warhead keeps crashing for some reason..

but normally it runs butter smooth, it just Warhead and some Jap MMORPG that gives me glitch, but I really dont think anyone here plays those, so it wouldn't be a problem lol..

another big problem I am having with is that stupid display driver error....AH!!!!
I still cant figure out wth is wrong with it, it only happens on my Vista 64 OS, it happened with my old 8800GTX and GTX 260 too...

but overall, GTX 295 is a good card if its not sandwich board....

wouldn't recommend it to anyone...
if people really want a Dual GPU with single card, I suggest 4870X2..
if looking for problem-less solution, I suggest GTX 280/285 for fastest single GPU...
or wait for something even more better...GTX 299/HD 4890..
Have you overclocked this card? If so, test your clocks, they might not be stable. If both your 8800GTX and GTX 260 were crashing too, it's not the cards. Something else in your system is weak. Hardware related issues could be a PSU that isn't powerful enough (what are you running?) or you may need to update your motherboard's BIOS. It could also be software related, and I would do a complete uninstall of your NVIDIA drivers, boot into safe mode and clean out the drivers with Driver Sweeper, then do a clean install of the latest drivers. It'd be a shame if you were blaming problems on the card that in fact arose due to user error.

Also,be aware that the 4870X2 runs just as hot as the GTX 295. Any of these dual-GPU cards draw a tremendous amount of power and therefore put out a lot of heat.

Have you overclocked this card? If so, test your clocks, they might not be stable. If both your 8800GTX and GTX 260 were crashing too, it's not the cards. Something else in your system is weak. Hardware related issues could be a PSU that isn't powerful enough (what are you running?) or you may need to update your motherboard's BIOS. It could also be software related, and I would do a complete uninstall of your NVIDIA drivers, boot into safe mode and clean out the drivers with Driver Sweeper, then do a clean install of the latest drivers. It'd be a shame if you were blaming problems on the card that in fact arose due to user error.

Also,be aware that the 4870X2 runs just as hot as the GTX 295. Any of these dual-GPU cards draw a tremendous amount of power and therefore put out a lot of heat.

meh, I don't really think its my hardware problem ...

been experience this in many of my rig, and only happens on Vista 64...

no OC since my GTX 295 cant OC much like I mention in other OC thread..

also, 4870X2 is hot indeed, but it doesn't heat up my case as much as GTX 295..

I am pretty sure I don't have power problem...

and funny stuffs, same things goes to my laptop that had a 8600GT, but doesn't happen very often, maybe like once a week or month :p

and I have seen a lot people were having this trouble..

its not really a big deal but its annoying that I have to restart to make the games run after error occur..

but still, I suggest over single GPU for now unless someone wants to play games with all Max out settings....

meh, I don't really think its my hardware problem ...

been experience this in many of my rig, and only happens on Vista 64...

no OC since my GTX 295 cant OC much like I mention in other OC thread..

also, 4870X2 is hot indeed, but it doesn't heat up my case as much as GTX 295..

I am pretty sure I don't have power problem...

and funny stuffs, same things goes to my laptop that had a 8600GT, but doesn't happen very often, maybe like once a week or month :p

and I have seen a lot people were having this trouble..

its not really a big deal but its annoying that I have to restart to make the games run after error occur..

but still, I suggest over single GPU for now unless someone wants to play games with all Max out settings....
If you don't do any troubleshooting, how do you know? 9 times out of 10, BSOD's, crashes, and instabilties occur due to user error. I would make sure you were absolutely perfect before you just chocked it up to the hardware; swaying buyers out of purchasing a fantastic card based on false pretenses is not a service the hardware community.

If you don't do any troubleshooting, how do you know? 9 times out of 10, BSOD's, crashes, and instabilties occur due to user error. I would make sure you were absolutely perfect before you just chocked it up to the hardware; swaying buyers out of purchasing a fantastic card based on false pretenses is not a service the hardware community.

huh...I highly doubt its user error..

1. it only happens in vista 64 (XP works fine)
2. it happens on my laptop too (same, Vista 64bit) don't think its

it happens in 4 of my rig and to several friends of mine, therefore it couldn't be user's fault in this situation...

even fresh install still occur..

its not a false pretense.. I have seen quite a lot people having this problem on other thread..
It doesn't happen often, so it is still fine...
and I am not swaying buyers for such problem, it just sandwich board that I am complaining about.....

and its not just me as u see in this thread, quite few people complaining about it too ::eek:

Back