Radeon HD 3870 X2 price

I would suggest you will see mid to mid-low 400s.

is it the 28th or 23th keep reading something different, when are the nda's up when will we see reviews

I wonder how well ATI will keep its drivers updated.
i havent had a ATI since my 9500Pro, Id like to see some benchies from H OCP so i can make my decision. :)

ATI releases drivers just about every month like clockwork, so I doubt that will change any time soon. And the driver they are releasing next is specifically made to handle crossfire and quadfire setups. Most benchmark sites have put off thier 3870 crossfire reviews until this driver comes out.

I think it's pretty easy to guess the price of the X2. A Sapphire 3870 at newegg is $249, double that price to $498. However, it won't cost double to make the X2, I'll bet the real figure is somewhere around 60%. So that would be $398. What we don't know is exactly how much AMD/ATI charges for a 3870 GPU ($80 - $100?), but that will be the major cost. A larger PCB, bigger heatsink and a few discrete components won't impact the price that much.

Then again newegg charges $249 because there is a lack of supply, the price should be $220 (or less). It could be worth while factoring that in too.

What I think we're seeing here is the end of single GPU mid/high end cards. Just like the CPU makers had to add additional cores to get any real performance gain, the video card companies will have to do the same. GPUs have more transistors and run hotter then CPUs, so they'll have to (for now, anyway) add another GPU chip to keep temperatures down.

if the 9800gx2 can come in at that price the 3870x2 can come in cheaper. There are alot of redudant costs in the gx2 that aren't there in the x2 like the secnd pcb and al the power not to mention the cost of putting those two boards together.

It will be interesting to see what happens. $400 and i'm most likely sold on it.

if the 9800gx2 can come in at that price the 3870x2 can come in cheaper. There are alot of redudant costs in the gx2 that aren't there in the x2 like the secnd pcb and al the power not to mention the cost of putting those two boards together.

It will be interesting to see what happens. $400 and i'm most likely sold on it.

I hope thaz the case, but will ATi have the drivers ready for all the popular dx 9/10 games?

This would normally be true, but you forget to factor in the ridiculous amount of cost that goes into re-designing the layout of the PCB for the X2 (basically a totally new layout using existing components), something that NVIDIA doesn't really have to do if they do indeed slam 2 existing boards together. ATI's strategy doesn't come cheap.

So I have to say the assumption that NVIDIA has less room to budge on pricing than ATI is overly assumptive, and likely wrong.

One company has taken the "less development cost, more material cost" approach, while the other has taken the "less material cost, more development cost" approach. It's a gamble.

I hope thaz the case, but will ATi have the drivers ready for all the popular dx 9/10 games?

Why its basicly 2 3870s in crossfire mode . The drivers are ready and i'm sure the ones that ship with the card will be in better states than what was tested for 3870 crossfire

This would normally be true, but you forget to factor in the ridiculous amount of cost that goes into re-designing the layout of the PCB for the X2 (basically a totally new layout using existing components), something that NVIDIA doesn't really have to do if they do indeed slam 2 existing boards together. ATI's strategy doesn't come cheap.

How much would the re-design cost ? Do yuo think its expensive enough to counter act the redudancy in the gx2. Lets face it the gx2 will basicly cost two times what a single g92 card will cost . Everything is doubled . Then you have to add in the cost of developing the cooler. The 3870x2 is not 2 3870s stuck together . There are alot of redudancy worked out of the equation also from what i'm hearing the 3870s are in fact smaller than the g92

Why its basicly 2 3870s in crossfire mode . The drivers are ready and i'm sure the ones that ship with the card will be in better states than what was tested for 3870 crossfire

How much would the re-design cost ? Do yuo think its expensive enough to counter act the redudancy in the gx2. Lets face it the gx2 will basicly cost two times what a single g92 card will cost . Everything is doubled . Then you have to add in the cost of developing the cooler. The 3870x2 is not 2 3870s stuck together . There are alot of redudancy worked out of the equation also from what i'm hearing the 3870s are in fact smaller than the g92

The redesign costs lots and lots of money. And you're thinking fallaciously if you assume there aren't two of everything on the ATI X2. It's just that it's crammed tighter and on 1 PCB.

Single PCB doesn't allow you to just do one of everything but the GPU's. That's simply not the case.

Final clocks for HD 3870 X2:
-Core(s): 825MHz
-Memory: 1800MH
-Max TDP: 190W

So cores work like 6% higher than in HD3870 and memory-chips 20% lower.

The redesign costs lots and lots of money. And you're thinking fallaciously if you assume there aren't two of everything on the ATI X2. It's just that it's crammed tighter and on 1 PCB.

Single PCB doesn't allow you to just do one of everything but the GPU's. That's simply not the case.

Well ther eis 1 pcb , 1 pci-e connector , 1 power connector , 1 cooler . There is also alot of other stuff most likely worked out of the design . The single pcb can most likely save up to $30 bucks off the cost of the board

There's one of all those things (except maybe the power connector, but possibly 1 there too) on the NVIDIA product. If there is only 1 power connector, that's not a function of the difference between 2 pcb's or 1... it's the a function of how much the chips draw power-wise. Seeing as both solutions have 2 GPU's, it's likely they'll have the same number of power connectors as one another. 2 PCB's doesn't imply a different power connector for each PCB...

Your point is invalid.

There's one of all those things (except maybe the power connector, but possibly 1 there too) on the NVIDIA product. If there is only 1 power connector, that's not a function of the difference between 2 pcb's or 1... it's the a function of how much the chips draw power-wise. Seeing as both solutions have 2 GPU's, it's likely they'll have the same number of power connectors as one another. 2 PCB's doesn't imply a different power connector for each PCB...

Your point is invalid.

each gpu will have to draw power and both of them will require aditional powe inputs. The x2 will be able to use 8 pin connectors for more powe while using less of them. The gx2 will require diffrent sets of inputs . It will also need all the tracings on the pcb for the pci-e slot and the power it draws from that on the second card that doens't exist with the radeon

each gpu will have to draw power and both of them will require aditional powe inputs. The x2 will be able to use 8 pin connectors for more powe while using less of them. The gx2 will require diffrent sets of inputs . It will also need all the tracings on the pcb for the pci-e slot and the power it draws from that on the second card that doens't exist with the radeon

What? That makes no sense. Both GPU's output through the same SINGLE PCIE connector. They wouldn't have identical traces by any means. You can't sit here and know anything about the power connectors, and BTW those are by no means the most expensive part of production. The extra costs for the materials are somewhat negligible when you account for the far lower development costs. Period.

I think it's pretty easy to guess the price of the X2. A Sapphire 3870 at newegg is $249, double that price to $498. However, it won't cost double to make the X2, I'll bet the real figure is somewhere around 60%. So that would be $398. What we don't know is exactly how much AMD/ATI charges for a 3870 GPU ($80 - $100?), but that will be the major cost. A larger PCB, bigger heatsink and a few discrete components won't impact the price that much.

Then again newegg charges $249 because there is a lack of supply, the price should be $220 (or less). It could be worth while factoring that in too.

I remember reading somewhere that ATI dropped the retail price of the 3870 to like $190. Although the price never budged from the retail stores, who apparently are just pocketing the money for themselves... with Newegg leading the way.

What I am wondering is will it work properly in games where Crossfire is traditionally broken. If so that will be very nice.

What I am wondering is will it work properly in games where Crossfire is traditionally broken. If so that will be very nice.

To me that is key too, if not why even buy this thing. Take World of Warcraft for example in a SLI system it get -1% benchmarks, take out the second card and run benchmark again with just single card and the game is 1-2% faster.

So will a game like WoW actually see a 3870x2 or 9800GX2 as one VideoCard and give twice the performance ?? If so I am sold if not call me back with a REAL 8800Ultra single card beater.

Im wondering how loud its gonna be, from the pics it looks like theyre using the exact same kind of fan that was present on the 2900xt. The 2900xt wasn't massively loud but it got pretty noticible, even more so with 2 card in crossfire.

Im also hoping that fuds latest info isn't correct,

The future of high-end is Crossfire and with CrossfireX driver it will simply becomes even more important. The CrossfireX driver is still scheduled for a Q1 release, but it won’t be in January as we previously expected.

Im assuming that gibberish is trying to say if it does launch in january people wanting to crossfire them will have to wait longer before drivers with quad ability are released. :eek:

To me that is key too, if not why even buy this thing. Take World of Warcraft for example in a SLI system it get -1% benchmarks, take out the second card and run benchmark again with just single card and the game is 1-2% faster.

So will a game like WoW actually see a 3870x2 or 9800GX2 as one VideoCard and give twice the performance ?? If so I am sold if not call me back with a REAL 8800Ultra single card beater.

No, they're Crossfire/SLI based.

Back