Votes: 586 63.4%
  • Not really that bad!

Votes: 316 34.2%
  • It's AWESOME!

Votes: 22 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Super Duper Flop. And this is coming from a (former ATI fan boy). I'm glad I didn't wait for this crap. My decision to get an 8800gts back in December was the wisest video card purchase that I've ever made. What reason would anyone have to purchase the 2900 over the 8800 other than blind fanboy’ism?

NVDIA owns ATI. Sorry

I used to be an AMD man also. Core 2 duo changed that. Being a fanboy is one thing, but purchasing second rate equipment because of it borders on insanity IMO. But hey, to each his own.

I agree 100%. I'm not a fanboy of anything. If it's the best, I love it. I had owned a dozen AMD computers until Core 2 hit the streets. Now I have Core 2. I had a 9800pro, loved it. Since then, however, I've had nothing but disappointment from ATI. I'd rather have an x800 than the 2900xt... But, since that's silly, I'll stick with my 8800gtx. If I were ATI, I would have pushed back the release date on those cards, or renamed it to 2650xt and started work on the 3000-series. Flop.

I'm a fan-boy of whatever provides the best bang for my buck, as I see it. I've owned Ti4200's, 9800pro's, X850's, and now own a 8800GTX. I was pretty disappointed in how it seems to perform/draw power/cost and hope that ATI gets back on track soon. I was worried that when I bought my 8800 I would regret it. I guess I don't have to worry about that, but still wish R600 would have turned out a bit better.

(Healthy) Competition is good for the consumer.

Flop :(

What exactly makes the 2900 a flop and what not? :confused:

Considering the late arrival to the market, the dismal performance based on the specs of the card, and the fact that it barely edges out the almost year old GTS 640, the card is a flop.

This late to the game the 2900XT should have walked all over the 8800GTX with LOTS of room to spare.

Considering the late arrival to the market, the dismal performance based on the specs of the card, and the fact that it barely edges out the almost year old GTS 640, the card is a flop.

This late to the game the 2900XT should have walked all over the 8800GTX with LOTS of room to spare.

Damn straight!

FLOP your Sister...

ATI tiene una arquitectura optimizada para DX10, con soporte de HD, HDMI y HDCP.

Cuando los fabricantes comienzena optimizar sus aplicaciones los "nvidiot" deberán actualizar sus mediocres piezas de tecnologia, pseudo Dx10, que solo pueden funcionar rápido en aplicaciones Dx9.

My spanish isnt very good, but I think this says "ATI has an architecture optimized for DX10, can support HD, HDMI, and HDCP.

When the builders start to optimize their applications the 'nvidia' *somthing* actually be mediocre pieces of technology, without(?) DX10, and can only function fast in applications using DX9."

WHERE IN THE (spanish-speaking) WORLD DID YOU COME UP WITH THAT? Las cartas de nvidia del 8000 (8500, 8600, 8800) son las cartas primeras para DX10, y funcionan mas rapido que las cartas de ATI al tiempo presente.

My spanish isnt very good, but I think this says "ATI has an architecture optimized for DX10, can support HD, HDMI, and HDCP.

When the builders start to optimize their applications the 'nvidia' *somthing* actually be mediocre pieces of technology, without(?) DX10, and can only function fast in applications using DX9."

WHERE IN THE (spanish-speaking) WORLD DID YOU COME UP WITH THAT? Las cartas de nvidia del 8000 (8500, 8600, 8800) son las cartas primeras para DX10, y funcionan mas rapido que las cartas de ATI al tiempo presente.

Taken from the HardForum rules: #17 (17) Posting is to be in ENGLISH only. Non-English posts will be locked or removed.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=760666

If he doesn't speak English how is he going to know what the rules are :D

Heh :)

I think he was responding to a guy who posted completely in Spanish about 10 pages back....

It's clearly a flop and there are plenty of posts above mine that explain exactly why. Also, don't overreact at Crazy's Spanish post, I think his user name speaks for itself. :)

Super Duper Flop. And this is coming from a (former ATI fan boy). I'm glad I didn't wait for this crap. My decision to get an 8800gts back in December was the wisest video card purchase that I've ever made. What reason would anyone have to purchase the 2900 over the 8800 other than blind fanboy’ism?

NVDIA owns ATI. Sorry

I used to be an AMD man also. Core 2 duo changed that. Being a fanboy is one thing, but purchasing second rate equipment because of it borders on insanity IMO. But hey, to each his own.

/End of thread

This card is a disgrace.
Right now Im comfterble at my Resolution (1280 x1024) with my current card so I have been playing the waiting game and will continue to do so. Hopefully with better Drivers we will see some stellar performance gains but meh. They launched late with more power draw and less performance. The only reason it isnt a flop in my mind is the price point. Its actually an ok Price Point. I would still rather get a 8800GTS though.

I wouldn't be so quick to call 2900XT a flop. In fact, its performance is quite decent considering its shader clocks are less than 2/3 that of a 8800GTS (750MHz vs 1200MHz) and it can only execute 64 threads per clock compared to 96 for the GTS. Of course, R600 has more memory bandwidth, but that alone is not enough.

The R600 may perform worse for now but it does have more potential for improvement and growth. Its superscalar architecture means drivers and game patches could extract more performance out of the core (its not a simple task but its entirely possible). I do expect the performance of R600 to improve over time just because of driver improvements.

I would also like to ask Uberhitzung about his claim on Nvidia having 20 driver updates for every ATI update. Its now the 4th driver release this yr for ATI. I have not even seen 10 new driver updates for Nvidia, let alone 80 (20 x 4 = 80)....

It is a complete and utter flop. It has more flop to it than a bass straight out of the river. Buying a 2900XT is a sign of sheer sign of prospective novelty, or an acute case of mental illness.

ATI should never have given into AMD. AMD has fucked itself over by releasing under-performing hardware in a market where Intel and Nvidia have already set the bar. Drivers will not add enough of anything to the card. It's a giant leaf-blower that sucks too much power and doesn't blow enough leaves.

I don't want AMD, nor ATI to die off. I can not have one company dominating the market. I enjoy seeing the competition. It's just when AMD/ATI throws shit like this out to the streets....it's depressing. AMD/ATI had better get their act together because at this rate: they're going to die.

I voted "not that bad" and was considering buying a 2900XT for its VIVO.
Now I think that its a Flop as the drivers are a still a mess so I'm getting an 8800 GTX, sod the VIVO.

If there is potential in the card they havent harnessed it yet and whats with the AA and picture quality problems?!
Disappointing.

Flop.........No.Late to market,yes.For early drivers,the card/s perform well from my experince.

Does it perform well knowing that you payed more for something that performs worse than the competing brand?

Why is everyone giving this card kudos for it being able to work? I mean my old Pentium 4 worked but that doesn't mean it was any good compared to the AMD stuff at the time.

I voted "not that bad" and was considering buying a 2900XT for its VIVO.
Now I think that its a Flop as the drivers are a still a mess so I'm getting an 8800 GTX, sod the VIVO.

If there is potential in the card they havent harnessed it yet and whats with the AA and picture quality problems?!
Disappointing.

Well the HD 2900XT doesn't even have ATI's UVD.

Well the HD 2900XT doesn't even have ATI's UVD.

:)
I was going to add that to my post but came over all shy.
Yeah the lack of h264 hardware decoding raised my eyebrows given its an advertised feature (as part of UVD). I heard the stream engines will be used (eventually) to process video via a driver update, not sure if thats the truth but its plausible and I would say likely.

The 65nm version is reported to be getting a hardware decoder. Another reason not to buy it now!

ps I wonder if the lack of the hardware decoder will stop it playing protected material that uses HDCP?

:)
I was going to add that to my post but came over all shy.
Yeah the lack of h264 hardware decoding raised my eyebrows given its an advertised feature (as part of UVD). I heard the stream engines will be used (eventually) to process video via a driver update, not sure if thats the truth but its plausible and I would say likely.

The 65nm version is reported to be getting a hardware decoder. Another reason not to buy it now!

ps I wonder if the lack of the hardware decoder will stop it playing protected material that uses HDCP?

Not sure, that's a question best answered by Brent or one of the video card guys.

I had already translated his comments when he posted them:

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1031060768&postcount=114

With the first DX10 numbers out, I guess he probably changed his opinion on this already...

Holy batman thread revival! Who's down with me to shoot this thread to hell, L4D2 style?!

Although it's a pretty good analogy to what's happening right now with the 480 launch, and before the 2900XT there was the 5900 launch... Funny how these things cycle :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back