Votes: 316 34.2%
  • It's AWESOME!

Votes: 22 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

^eMpTy^

2[H]4U
Kyle and Brent are calling it a flop, but lots of other sites weren't quite so negative...what do you guys think?

I added a choice to your poll so it was a bit more even in choices. :) - Kyle

I say give it some more time........hopefully drivers can sort some of the negatives out.

When you get right down to it, it's 6 months after the 8800 series came out. I almost feel downright smart for buying a 8800GTX a few months ago :).

I voted flop.

Delayed, runs too hot, mediocre performance vs 6 month old hardware...

Flop. Without a doubt. Unless ATI pull a saint worthy miracle, I can foresee NV's next top tier card slotting nicely into my next rig.

I voted flop.

Delayed, runs too hot, mediocre performance vs 6 month old hardware...

seems the fanboys really can't get over that fact and have to push every little thing that isn't negative til the cows come home. the cows aren't coming. sorry

The 2600 should perform like the 2900 is doing, with half the power draw and half the price. 2900xt should beat the 8800gtx by 30-40% across the board. But with its current performance/power draw/price/noise -ratio it just sucks. This is a disappointment, because I really did hope for ati to redeem itself, and do the 9700pro again. But at 2900xt's current state, I voted flop.

6 months ago it would have been an ok card. Now its too late and too power hungry to justify it against the 8800gts.

I'm going to have to agree with what others have said. I dont know if I would call it a total flop , but its definatley a disappointment.

Had this card used the same amount of power as a 8800GTS and had a price tag of $250.00 -$299.99 price range, you would not hear all this negative press. In my opinion folks got burned. They waited and waited and then waited more. Some folks put entire builds on hold waiting for this card. I would chalk this up as a serious stumble for AMD/ATI.

Agree with Kyle, flopOroonie.

Someone needs to come up with a 2X the 8800GTX in performance before Crysis comes out dammit :eek: :rolleyes: :p :D

after reading a good amount of reviews and comparing to the nvidia 8800, I must say it looks like a flop. AMD/ATI have not been doing too well lately and as an entusiast I am not happy, but i will wait for more future products as I'm in no hurry to upgrade.

Right now, I'd call it a "semi-flop." It's not quite as good as NVIDIA's offerings, but it's not that bad, either.

I would'nt say total flop, but at the same time its easy to see that this part is going to have a VERY short life. nVidia will have a new part in six months or less and the 2900 is already struggling with current competition. Plus a 65n respin is probably coming out quickly for this part to get the power usage down pretty soon, I would hope.

So not a bad card per se, but when looking at it in context, why would anyone buy this part at this time?

I agree with the semi-flop statement, because it's not an entirely worthless piece of hardware. It can perform as advertised. I voted flop because there's no way I'd choose it over an 8800GTS with it's power draw and noise, even if it was a similar price.

You can buy a GTS for $70 less that will perform better and draw much less power. There's no debate.

Flopsky!

But...give a month or two, when the prices unscramble, and we'll see...if it ever matches the 8800gts in price, it could get interesting...

The power consumption and noise is what kills it for me. I'm sure performance will come up, and supposedly they'll overclock well, but it just doesn't beat the 8800 GTS. My wife has a 8800 gts 320 that we got for $215, and it runs 680/1000 easy on water cooling. It's just hard to beat that level of bang for the buck.

I've heard a lot more nvidia fans crowing today than ATI ones making excuses. Every time I see the price of the 8800 Ultra I can't help but think we're the losers when one side rules the performance roost.

I’m going laugh my ass off when DX10 games come out and this thing stomps the living shit out of everything NV has out. I will chuckle when all those haters jump ship to ATI. ;) :eek:

Anyway all jokes aside, the card is not a complete flop, but it is a disappointment.
The card is a solid performer; it just can’t hold up to a GTS right now, but I think driver releases will help that some.
The card is late for sure. Nothing sucks more then late hardware because it is now out of synch, but there is nothing we can do about it, so why cry about it?

Power usage and noise, does anyone really give a shit about this?
Sure, I prefer to be energy conscious. I do it everyday by turning off lights, not running my A/C as hard, not using as much hot water, etc.
But, I’m not going to sweat over using an extra 100W on a video card.
That ain't shit, if you can’t afford an extra 10 bucks on your electric bill what are you doing buying a $400 video card?

Noise, I can see how that would annoy some people. For me it doesn’t because I play with headphones on so no biggy.

Now after having written this novel, I will say that I will probably pick up a GTS, because my 7800GTX is way out of date. The GTS is the better card of the two, but that certainly doesn’t make the 2900 a flop.

Right now the x2900 XT is looking an awful lot like the Radeon 8500: late to market, plagued with driver problems (no MSAA support, quake "quack" optimizations, etc).

The only thing that saved the 8500 was a price-point almost half that of the top-end GeForce 3, and the incredibly cheap 8500LE. This didn't make ATI any money, but it cretainly gained them mindshare, which they justified in droves with the release of (1) better drivers within 6 months, and (2) the 9700 Pro the following year.

It's up to ATI to decide what they want: short-term profits, or long-term mindshare/marketshare. If they go into a price war with Nvidia, you can be damn sure the x2900 XT will sell, and if the refresh is much better than it will pay off in the long run. But if I know ATI, they will continue milking their fanboys and charge as much as they can for their card, regardless of whether it is superior. I know which one I'd rather see: a $300 x2900 XT, but I'm not holding my breath.

Ever since ATI blew away the graphics world with the 9700 Pro, they've been full of themselves, always charging a premium for their hardware. I wish for once ATI would compete on price / performance just to shake-up the market, and this is their one chance to save a crappy product by doing so. At $400 with these kinds of problems, the x2900 XT is a flop. Only ATI can change that.

I’m going laugh my ass off when DX10 games come out and this thing stomps the living shit out of everything NV has out. I will chuckle when all those haters jump ship to ATI. ;) :eek:

http://firingsquad.com/hardware/amd_ati_radeon_hd_2900_xt_performance_preview/page19.asp

I'll wait for a few more DX10 benchmarks before making final judgement...

Anyway, higher power consumption not only means a (slightly) higher energy bill, it also means your case is going to heat up much easier. As an overclocker, that is a big no no. The 8800 cards are hardly igloos as it is :p, but the 2900XT kicks it up a notch (or three :p) and is a freaking furnace.

Finally, have I mentioned amount of people needing to upgrade PSUs just to run the 2900XT...??

I'm just gonna grab a 640mb 8800GTS when they drop below $300

I don't care as much about AA and AF... highest res I'll run is 1920 x 1200... 8800GTS should be fine...

It's not really that bad, a bunch of Nvidia owners are talking trash about it just for the heck of it; even on newegg they have some douches on it giving it bad reviews even though they don't own the product. Wait around for drivers and overclock speeds and then we will see. I like both Nvidia and ATI people are to hypocritical about stuff they don't have. I understand the reviews say this and that but give it some time and I'm sure people will love it.

But I have to agree Nvidia owns Ati :p

I'm going to have to agree with what others have said. I dont know if I would call it a total flop , but its definatley a disappointment.

Had this card used the same amount of power as a 8800GTS and had a price tag of $250.00 -$299.99 price range, you would not hear all this negative press. In my opinion folks got burned. They waited and waited and then waited more. Some folks put entire builds on hold waiting for this card. I would chalk this up as a serious stumble for AMD/ATI.

Couldn't have said it better ToE! Thats why I was so pissed at this space heater AMD releases. Lesson learned. Buy today, tomorrow might burn your ass.

give it some time and I'm sure people will love it.

This freakin GPU was based and built on the likes of the Xenos GPU. You know, Xbox360 GPU. Xbox 360, came out a year and a half ago. Catching on yet??? GPU been in developement for at least 3 years. Drivers should have launched this card like a platinum rocket. Not a Iraqi Scud...
You don't wait longer for something that has been in developement as long as this POS has. 18 months for a new architecture??? Thats been in developement at least a year before that??? AMD needs to let some people go right now... Someones ass should be canned over this debachle. Hopefully a couple of the head idiots at ATI.

voted flop

the thing runs to hot, sucks too much juice, costs a bit too much for its performance, and drivers are plainly sucky

and if you end up saying "ill just wait a few months for better drivers", you are basicly saying its okay for ati to lag behind nvidia half a year, youll love them anyway

I voted flop.
Over 6 months late, is just more or less the same as NVIDIA's second best offering, costs more, consumes more power and produces more heat. And in all the features it introduces, there's not a single one that justifies buying a XT, over a GTS 640.

Its actualy quite good for its price but i wasn't designed to be at that price, the reason it is, is because it was a flop and is only a gts.

I bought one, we'll see what happens. I don't think it's a flop, just a little premature just like everytime new hardware gets release.

Its not a total Flop or as bad as Nvidias FX5800 ultra but dissapointing for sure IMO.

I am laughing my ass off right now.....at ATI that is.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/431/17/
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/amd_ati_radeon_hd_2900_xt_performance_preview/page19.asp

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/screenshots/original/LP_DX10_Snow.JPG
NO HOTLINKING - [COLOR="Red"]Dr.Evil[/COLOR]
:D

I am laughing my ass off right now.....at ATI that is.
:D

Perhaps you should have just posted the benchmark and not lower yourself into replying to a clear flaimbait?

Thats a intresting benchmark nevertheless, wonder why Flight Simulator X devs said that R600 would be faster than G80 in DX10. If these benchies hold any water, the FSX dev comments must have been bogus.

I got 8800gts 6month ago~ its been great you guys know that you can overclock it easily to around gtx level right.

evga 8800gts 513Mhz/1450Mhz~ to 600Mhz/2000Mhz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back