Radeon FreeSyncTM 2 Technology Brings High Dynamic Range Gaming to Advanced PC Displays

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD today announced Radeon FreeSyncTM 2 technology, the next major milestone in delivering smooth gameplay and advanced pixel integrity to gamers, with planned availability to consumers in 1H 2017. Qualifying FreeSyncTM 2 monitors will harness low-latency, high-brightness pixels, excellent black levels, and a wide color gamut to display High Dynamic Range (HDR) content. 1 In addition, all FreeSyncTM 2 monitors will have support for Low Framerate Compensation (LFC). With Radeon FreeSyncTM 2 technology, gamers can enjoy a complete plug-and-play HDR gaming experience, avoiding the need to tweak settings in software or on the monitor.

“Gamers have spoken and they’ve made FreeSyncTM the overwhelming choice and definitive industry standard for smooth, stutter-free gaming,” said Scott Herkelman, vice president and general manager of gaming, Radeon Technologies Group, AMD. “Radeon FreeSyncTM 2 technology is the first of its kind that combines HDR support with dynamic refresh rate technology, and does it in a seamless, plug-and-play manner that improves gaming quality automatically when the right content is present.”

Current HDR transport formats were designed primarily for movie content displayed on televisions with tone mapping handled by the displays, often leading to higher-than-acceptable latency for PC gaming. AMD’s new API for FreeSyncTM 2 offers a lower-latency alternative that shifts the workload to the powerful pipeline of a RadeonTM GPU, allowing the game to tone map directly to the display’s target luminance, contrast, and color space. Radeon FreeSyncTM 2 technology offers over 2x the brightness and color volume over sRGB.

Yez fracture the market even more...

Its 2017, i should have had refresh rate lock standard around the time of hdmi 1.4. Instead i get match the monitor to a brand of video card. On top of that i have to pay 2-3x the cost of the monitor for this 'feature" that makes the interface less complicated, not more...

Yez fracture the market even more...

Its 2017, i should have had refresh rate lock standard around the time of hdmi 1.4. Instead i get match the monitor to a brand of video card. On top of that i have to pay 2-3x the cost of the monitor for this 'feature" that makes the interface less complicated, not more...

Well FreeSync 2 seemingly wants to make sure that all newer FreeSync monitors will have LFC which is a really nice feature to have. My buddy bought a FreeSync monitor last year and found out that LFC wasn't on it. He was very disappointed.

FreeSync and GSYNC have been battling against each other for a couple of years now. I don't see this changing unfortunately even though AMD is hinting at FreeSync TV coming in 2017.

FreeSync 2 I read is coming to some older AMD video cards so no fracturing their installed base. 7000 series+ ? I'm not really sure though. Need to read more as I own a RX 480 and stopped paying attention to the older cards honestly.

FreeSync and FreeSync 2 work over HDMI.

FreeSync is as close to "free" as it comes. I'm sure there is a slight premium on some monitors. But it's nothing like the GSYNC price increase for the added hardware in those monitors.

Here is a long article on what problem Windows 10 has with HDR and how AMD is seeking to fix it.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10967...improving-ease-lowering-latency-of-hdr-gaming

sounds good to me. Anybody know if all existing freesync compatible cards are automatically freesync 2 capable or if a freesync 2 monitor works with cards that aren't? just not sure if there's a potential compatibility issue or if simply updating to the latest drivers is all a person needs to do?

Back