RADEON 9700 or GeForce FX 5900 ?

The Nvidia FX series of cards basically got its ass kicked by ATI's like ATI's are getting kicked now... only worse. I'd get the 9700 and if you look really hard you could probably find a 9800(don't get the SE version of ANY of their cards) for close to that price. I'd steer clear of the last generation Nvidia's. Just make sure you get the 256bit version whatever you get. A 6600GT would be better than both if you could find it cheap. Just be sure you order the AGP version, because a lot of people apparently are returning their PCI-E ones after they figure out they won't work with their board. :eek:

as much as i love nvidia.. i have to say the 9700 is better than a 5900.

might look at a 6600 GT AGP as an option. little expensiver that what your looking at but has more power than a 9800 or a 5950.

just my advice.

As for NV "kicking ATi's ass" at anything, read my sig and know that for a single card the x800 xtpe (ati) is <i>still</i> and always will be better or equal to a 6800 ultra extreme (the ones that never made it to retail). Sorry, it's a well known fact, read the [H] reviews.

The 6800 ultra extreme is an awesome card, it's just that the x800 xtpe is overall better.

BTW You can't go wrong with either card, really, the FX or the radeon, it just depends what games you play, if you want opengl get the FX if you want dx9 games get the radeon. The FX cards suck at dx9 and that's a fact, thus, be wary.

Also, the 9800se's are not bad cards at all, especially if you get the 9800se type 2 (see my sig once again), type 2 are the kind with 256bit ram interface.

~Adam

Go with the 5900. It'll give you better game compatibility and better drivers. And, a 5900 will perform fine in DX9 or OGL games, regardless of what those individuals that have never used a 5900 say. The truth is, a 5900 card will run slightly slower than a 9800/9700 card in DX9 games usually, but a 5900 card will run faster than a 9800/9700 card in OGL games usually. Neither card get's it's "ass kicked".

Ok..

I'm confused. :confused:

I thought that the two different types of graphics were OpenGL and D3D... I though Dx9 was Direct X 9.0

I'm lost...

I currently play City of Heroes whch plasters an Nvidia logo on the box.

Unreal Tournament 2004 has the logo in their splash screen.

I looked at World of Warcraft, it's ok.

Thing is, I tried google to find out what these gams are, and they both seems to use OpenGL and Dx9.

Does this mean that some games just are heavier on their DX9 use oer their OpenGL - thus making it a DX9 game? Or am I completely confused?

Also...

The suggested AGP 6600 GT is cheapest $220...

Thing is, it only has 128 bit memory.

Compaired to the others that have 256bit memory.

Is it DDR 3 or something that makes the 6600 GT outstanding, even with the lower bit ram?

Fuzzy Logik said:
Also...

The suggested AGP 6600 GT is cheapest $220...

Thing is, it only has 128 bit memory.

Compaired to the others that have 256bit memory.

Is it DDR 3 or something that makes the 6600 GT outstanding, even with the lower bit ram?

It is the actual performance in games and benchmarks that makes the 6600 GT better.

Fuzzy Logik said:
I'm lost...

I currently play City of Heroes whch plasters an Nvidia logo on the box.
City of Heroes is OGL.

Here's some people posting about ATI cards and CoH:
http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1782283&Main=1782283

Unreal Tournament 2004 has the logo in their splash screen.
DX8.1 or OGL

I looked at World of Warcraft, it's ok.
Not sure on default of this one, but it can be run in OGL or D3D.

Fuzzy Logik said:
Ok..

I thought that the two different types of graphics were OpenGL and D3D... I though Dx9 was Direct X 9.0

<snip>

Thing is, I tried google to find out what these gams are, and they both seems to use OpenGL and Dx9.

Does this mean that some games just are heavier on their DX9 use oer their OpenGL - thus making it a DX9 game? Or am I completely confused?

DirectX 9 consists of more than just the video API. Included also is DirectSound, etc. So those games, while they use OpenGL for the video API, still use DX9 for everything else, since there is really no competing solution.

If you're going to just play last generation games or don't run them at high resolutions, you'll be fine with either card. The 6600GT is a good midpriced card even though its 128bit. Its core and memory are clocked so fast that it can outperform the last generation of 256bit cards like the 9800pro. Plus its got a brand new chipset architecture.

As for the current batch of ATI's. They're pretty much last generation technology pushed to the limit of its performance without major architecture changes.

BossNoodleKaboodle said:
As for the current batch of ATI's. They're pretty much last generation technology pushed to the limit of its performance without major architecture changes.

Pretty sad then that ATi is Faster/equal next to it. So it's not getting it's ass kicked

BossNoodleKaboodle said:
The Nvidia FX series of cards basically got its ass kicked by ATI's like ATI's are getting kicked now... only worse.

The FX's were complete garbage IMO compared to the R300/350 cards. I have always preferred Nvidia but I had no choice but to go with ATi that round if I wanted the near best performance. Nvidia did get its ass kicked that round...... but this time, I'd say its about even. Neither of the new gen cards really have a huge advantage over the other, and they can both run games on the same level. So yes, I strongly disagree with the last half of the statement above.

As for the original question, I'm obviously going to say get the 9700pro.

Possibly a 5900 and then modding it to a 5950U? If you could get a 256 meg 5900, then go for it cause the flash will make it outperform a 9700 pro.

Seongmin said:
Possibly a 5900 and then modding it to a 5950U? If you could get a 256 meg 5900, then go for it cause the flash will make it outperform a 9700 pro.

and then overclock the 9700pro and it won't outperform it anymore... :p

do not get the 5900.. the 9700pro is almost the same as a 9800pro but only a tiny bit slower... and i am sure the 9700pro will outperform the 5900 in almost any directx9 games which are very common these days.. but if ya can mod the 5900 to 5950U.. that would be sweet hehe

Back