Radeon 9600 Pro volt mod failure, advice needed

raskren

n00b
Hi all,

I tried increasing the voltage to the core and mem on my BBAti 9600 Pro card. It was either my mediocre soldering skills, mediocre equiment, or mediocre calculations that fried the card. It worked for a while in 2D but running anything 3D including Ati tool causes severe display corruption.

So, I'm in the market for a new card. I'm looking at these:

Radeon 9600 XT 128 MB - $150
Radeon 9700 Pro 128 MB - $185
Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB - $210

I'm not sure if the 9600 XT is going to be powerful enough for me. I had my 9600 Pro near XT speeds and it wasn't fast enough in Dx9 titles (FarCry).

From some of the reviews I have read the 9800 Pro is just a higher clocked 9700 Pro. If so, that's what I want to get.

Any advice?

Do you mean PCI Express?

If so, I can't wait that long! And, I don't plan on purchasing a new motherboard (I've got IC7-Max3).

Or, do you mean the last generation of AGP 8x cards?

Those will probably be far to expensive for me. Just look at the 9800 XT...its $400+! Waayy to much.

I got enough soldering practice breaking my 9600 Pro to repair my "old" GeForce 4 4600. I had knocked off a resistor while trying to mount a water block and I was able to successfully solder it back on! :D

Unfortunately, this card is pretty much DX 8 only. It runs extremely hot (compared to Ati) and AA and AF cripple frame rates a lot! I miss my 9600 Pro!

They should...as far as I know 8x is backwards compatible with 4x. Just don't try and force it into a 2x slot...instant death.

Back