RADEON 9000 Fan

mikeblas

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2006
I have an ATI-made RADEON 9000. The fan is starting to fail; it's making some awful noises.

Where can I get a replacement? Is a passive cooler an option?

Yeah, I might. I'm not a gamer, but I do want decent desktop workstation performance.

Would the Radeon 9550 cards be a reasonable replacement?

Dude, on the fs/ft forum they are selling used 9800pro's for the price of 2 9550's. I'd say go for that type of deal! But remember only pay first on people with long lists of references and be sure to make sure the people that give you a ref site email you from the email. There are lots of tricks to know, read the FAQ if you haven't bought there before.

~Adam

Why do I want a 9800pro for twice the price? Again, I'm not doing any gaming. I do want a card with both DVI and VGA outputs, though.

No gaming? Any video editing or anything, or is it just an email/typewriter?

~Adam

Were all kinda quick to spend each others money on these boards. :)

Look at the Zalman, and Artic Cooling products. I'm almost positive there's an AC Silencer specifically made for your card.

CleanSlate said:
No gaming? Any video editing or anything, or is it just an email/typewriter?

Computers are far more than typewriters, even if you don't play games.

Main apps for this machine are, probably in descending order of frequency:

Outlook
Office (Word, Powerpoint, Excel, mostly)
bug tracking database tool
SQL Server Client tools
Visual Studio
Mathematica

Thanks for the leads, ncantador. The Zalman stuff looks like overkill. I was hoping to find something passive and cheap; after all, I can get a 9550 card for about $50. I guess I'll just get the new card.

I got the perfect thing for you, lemme find it.

There: http://www.xpcgear.com/zalmanzmnb32j.html

Better than paying another $40 +shipping or so. Only like $12. It wil cool your gpu, it's not just a northbridge cooler. That thing'll cool just about anything that isn't OCed to hell and back when it comes to low end gpu's.

~Adam

Back