Radeon 7 (Vega 2, 7nm, 16GB) - $699 available Feb 7th with 3 games

Haven't read any reviews yet, will do that tonight. But did anyone of these reviewers undervolt the core or HBM2? Seems that's what you need to do to Vega 56 & 64 to get the most out of it clock wise and temp wise. If not, then I don't want to read that review.
They tried but overclocking/undervolting is 'broken'

Delay cost would really depend on when they had to announce they delay. The closer to release a product is the most it will cost to delay. If, for example, they didn't realize until a week prior to launch that drivers wouldn't be ready in time they might have already been too committed to the launch to stop.
Not knowing that the drivers were not ready until it is too late is just as bad.

Why do you assume they didn't know?
I was replying to this

'If, for example, they didn't realize until a week prior to launch that drivers wouldn't be ready in time they might have already been too committed to the launch to stop.'

For WHATEVER reason that these cards went to reviewers with bad drivers it is UNACCEPTABLE.

Reactions: Auer
like this
A lot of games need to have their code written into the drivers and vice-versa. It will take time like "fine wine".
There will be optimizations as time goes on such as the larger memory pool.

Good DX12 performance, not so good DX 11 performance. Seems to run very loud and the conclusion from Guru3D and Toms wasn't very favorable. One thing it has going for it is fp64 performance so anyone who dabbles in that kind of work and needs 16 gb hbm2 should love this thing. For gamers though, it's a flop at that price.

Last edited:
I was replying to this

'If, for example, they didn't realize until a week prior to launch that drivers wouldn't be ready in time they might have already been too committed to the launch to stop.'

For WHATEVER reason that these cards went to reviewers with bad drivers it is UNACCEPTABLE.

I agree with you there. AMD usually has some issues with launch drivers but this is much worse than usual. Hopefully the drivers they post for the public are better, but it still gives a very bad first impression.

I agree with you there. AMD usually has some issues with launch drivers but this is much worse than usual. Hopefully the drivers they post for the public are better, but it still gives a very bad first impression.

Some on these forums would have you believe AMD has achieved driver parity with NVIDIA. These results however show the reality of the difference between the two, especially if you compare Turing's launch vs this.

Some on these forums would have you believe AMD has achieved driver parity with NVIDIA. These results however show the reality of the difference between the two, especially if you compare Turing's launch vs this.

For the most part both companies have their share of good and bad drivers these days. Launch aside, I'd believe AMD and Nvidia were pretty much on par most of the time. Nvidia falling into AMD's old trap of "constantly shove drivers out the door" has dramatically lowered the quality of their releases. As soon as AMD moved away from that model their drivers improved and now we see Nvidia running into the same problems AMD used to have.

Some people on his forum would have you believe that NVidia has reached hardware quality parity with AMD. These results however show the reality of the difference between the two, especially if you compare Turing's launch vs this.

Nev

Watch buildzoid's board analysis and you will get a good idea why.

So I watched that and I don't see how anything he said would relate to the current issue which seems entirely like a software issue. The drivers just aren't ready, the hardware side seems fine, I don't see how it would prevent overclocking from working. Or did I miss something

in europe we have to pay more than 800 euros for this card , why is it 30 percent more expensive overhere ?

For the most part both companies have their share of good and bad drivers these days. Launch aside, I'd believe AMD and Nvidia were pretty much on par most of the time. Nvidia falling into AMD's old trap of "constantly shove drivers out the door" has dramatically lowered the quality of their releases. As soon as AMD moved away from that model their drivers improved and now we see Nvidia running into the same problems AMD used to have.

What problems? I've yet to run into anything game breaking with my Titan XP and I always upgrade to the latest driver. But as almost every review is showing, the drivers for this thing are an issue and that simply wasn't the case with Turing. Fine wine is just an excuse for AMD to eventually patch their borked launch drivers.

I'm going to give up on finding Radeon 7 at a decent price. Between all the web shops that do have it it is above 800 Euro and the ones that have pre order the best I saw was 770 Euro.
Really insane prices especially when Navi is around the corner that supposedly is 10 maybe 15 percent slower.

Delay cost would really depend on when they had to announce they delay. The closer to release a product is the most it will cost to delay. If, for example, they didn't realize until a week prior to launch that drivers wouldn't be ready in time they might have already been too committed to the launch to stop.

Honestly they should have picked a more suitable launch date from the get go. Delaying after they announce a date would be quite bad. When they picked a date they already knew about these issues and should have been more realistic. Maybe they wanted to launch on the 7th because Radeon 7/7nm, etc, or wanted to make sure they were ahead of the GTX 1660 launch next week. In any case a solid launch would still be better.

Was not planning to upgrade from a 1080 Ti, even if this thing did well. But happy to see that AMD is hitting mid-high tier.

What problems? I've yet to run into anything game breaking with my Titan XP and I always upgrade to the latest driver. But as almost every review is showing, the drivers for this thing are an issue and that simply wasn't the case with Turing. Fine wine is just an excuse for AMD to eventually patch their borked launch drivers.

Please you go on the Nvidia forums and you will find plenty of people screaming about issues with current Turning drivers, screen anomalies, screen blanking, crashing, space invaders for some and more. The idea one company is better or worse in drivers is total bull. You hated the VII before it launched so let it go and give your Titan a hug.

I think im going buy one, cant seem find one any where else

If you do not have time to watch the full video watch the summary in the last 5 mins. Look at the title of this video, "not ready for launch" I am sitting here scratching my head with my mouth open. WHY NOT? Would anyone have died if the launch was pushed back a week or even two? After FINALLY turning around the bad reputation AMD had with drivers how do you let this happen? How can a CEO not realize that first impressions count? I am trying to read Lisa Su's mind, forgive me DR Lisa Su. After all the positive moves she has made recently how does this happen? Help me understand this please :)
I'm with you - i don't understand it - ever.

But if I had to guess it's because some corporate release date was drawn in the sand and they knew they were only releasing a paltry few cards, and they'll have a month to work on the drivers before it's more than a paper launch with greater availability to the broader consumer.

Sadly it's a track record they can't seem to leave behind.

Not worse than normal...if you've paid attention to previous AMD launches. Vega launch was a bug fest for anyone but a single monitor single card user. Freesync was broken, Crossfire was broken, multimonitor spanning was broken, Heck even Google Chrome was broken. AMD couldn't test Google Chrome before launch and resolve the thumbnail glitch that locked up the browser for seconds at a time on the various Vega launch drivers? Chrome? the second most common browser in use!?!? Super lame.

My personal experience accounted for here.
https://hardforum.com/threads/fs-three-rx-vegas-fair-prices.1946097/

They'll fix the bugs, and the card will eventually be solid. I personally just won't be a unpaid beta tester for AMD at launches. They have to value their early adopter customers more than they do to build back their brand loyalty. If they can't do that, then they need to be clearly cheaper pricing tier to influence my future purchase.

Last edited:
I know its slim chance, Earlier wells fargo banking system went down, couldnt get cash or use debit/credit card's. or use paypal. All my payments got turned down, Now my card works.

But All places seem be sold out of Radeon VII, Would anyone know of place be in stock?

I'd be forever great full. Thank you!

Weren't some people hand-waving away concerns over drivers before the release because this GPU is so similar to the current Vega 64? Let that be a lesson to them. And to me, for ever listening to speculation from people who really know nothing more than I do.

The drivers are a total disaster. It's loud as hell. Expensive.

I bought one anyway because I like Radeon parts and I like playing around with new gear. I sure hope I don't regret it. I can handle the noise and the price but if I get black screens and reboots I'm gonna tear her holiness, our beloved Queen Lisa, a new a-hole. :p

I'm looking forward to an AIO mod on one of these. If they can tackle the heat (density?) problem it seems like there should be some OC headroom.

This statement is going off Optimum Tech's OCing Vega VII to 1950mhz after undervolting it.

The stock VRM being as efficient as it is reported to be lends credence to the feasibility of an AIO mod being adequate when coupled with a bit of directed airflow and aftermarket VRM heatsinks.

Back