Radeon 7 (Vega 2, 7nm, 16GB) - $699 available Feb 7th with 3 games

Since AMD is apparently allowing third parties to develop their own Radeon VIIs I'd suggest holding off for one of those. These seem to be running hot and loud, and hopefully all the driver related issues will be resolved by then.
I havent seen any AIB info....
If its anything like Vega 64, im sure there will be plenty of lazy designs. MSI AIR Boost for example...

So after skimming reviews, I'm more convinced than ever, the legacy of this card will be that it put a nail in the coffin for Gsync. I think it's the only reason nVidia caved when they did.

Looking like 5-10% slower than the 2080 overall which is disappointing, I was expecting it to trade blows.

Looks to sit between the RTX 2070 and the RTX 2080/GTX 1080 Ti. Closer to the 2080 than the 2070 though.

The averages are a bit deceptive for this card. For dx12 games, this card does rather well, especially at higher resolution. If you factor alot of dx11 and esport titles, than the average really suffer. I imagine the card will be used mostly for the former type of gaming.

That said, even neck and neck with 2080 performance, this card still sucks from a gamer view point.
Initial drivers suck, its loud, and overclocking is broke.

BTW I'm sick and tired of people calling Vega VII a repurposed Instinct card. Its like saying the RTX 20x0 are repurposed Quadro cards. (since the quadro RTX came out before Geforce RTX)

Vega 20 is basically a shrinked Vega 10 with more memory, huge bandwidth and some tweaking, nothing else.

From what I've seen, it seems there's potential in Vega VII with upcoming drivers. As of now, performance jumps too much to really give a veredict.

From what I've seen, it seems there's potential in Vega VII with upcoming drivers. As of now, performance jumps too much to really give a veredict.

People said this about Fury, then Vega, and now Vega 7nm. There isn’t much reason to think Vega 7nm will get much better.

I'm not entirely sure why people are upset , surprised, or anything, it's pretty much exactly what was said when Radeon VII was introduced.

Reactions: Auer
like this
BTW I'm sick and tired of people calling Vega VII a repurposed Instinct card. Its like saying the RTX 20x0 are repurposed Quadro cards. (since the quadro RTX came out before Geforce RTX)

Vega 20 is basically a shrinked Vega 10 with more memory, huge bandwidth and some tweaking, nothing else.

But it is a cut down version of the MI50: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13923/the-amd-radeon-vii-review/3

I think with Vega, people figured out how to undervolt and overclock more than the cards got better drivers.

Having said this, I bought a VII because I find the card super interesting :)

Drivers always play a part in amd cards performance over time. It's one of their main criticisms that their products would review much better had they got the performance from the bumps at launch.

Again, its like saying the RTX2080Ti is a cutdown Quadro RTX 8000

I had a pair of Titans back in 2013 and when the 780 ti's came out, they were a cut down version of the Titan. Your logic is flawed IMHO.

Seems it pretty much landed where one would expect based on what AMD had said. Seems like a decent option for people and hopefully one of the AIB's will come out with a better cooler.

I had a pair of Titans back in 2013 and when the 780 ti's came out, they were a cut down version of the Titan. Your logic is flawed IMHO.

I think his point is people seem fixated on this "its a cut down\failed instinct chip" thing rather than just referring it to radeon 7. Just about every gpu is a chopped version of something higher end, same deal for cpu's.

I wonder if AMD would release a liquid cooled version. Seems like it would benefit a lot.

I wonder if AMD would release a liquid cooled version. Seems like it would benefit a lot.

Was thinking the same thing, a "hydro" version would be interesting but unlikely. Maybe a third party might do one?

Digital Foundry Review slots this card in between 1080ti / 2080 beating the 2080 in some cases. And completely destroying the Titan X Pascal & 20xx series cards in production due to Nvidia's VRAM limitations.

Last edited:
couple of positives for Radeon VII: Frame times look very good, even with the crap drivers. I know it is hard to get past fps charts, but smoothness should always be the top priority. Here is an frame time plot from gamers nexus on a dx11 game:
Screenshot_20190207-095007_YouTube.jpg

I think that this card will have WAY better resale than the GTX2080. DP performance is very good on this card. Now that mining is mostly dead, I 5hink alot of people will get back into F@H type programs. I know it is cliche to say, but everything points to this card aging well. This card is being compared to the Fury and Vega success, but seriously, does anyone see the similarities of the Radeon VII vs GTX 2080 battle with the HD7970 vs GTX 680 battle? At launch, the GTX 680 was more quiet and cool. It beat the ATi card more often than not despite lower vram and bandwidth. DP performance seemed like the only advantage of the 7970. Five years later, you couldn't give away a GTX 680.

Was thinking the same thing, a "hydro" version would be interesting but unlikely. Maybe a third party might do one?

The minute I can find a block for my pair, you will see what a "hydro" version with 780mm of rad space will look like ;)...

This is and most likely will stay a 2080ish level card. If that is what you want to buy, buy it. There's really nothing more complicated about it.

The thing that concerns me from the reviews I've seen have more to do with stability which is a given since some sites state they are using / used "Media" drivers that were sent out early. Not live production drivers which may (or may not) make a difference.

To me the biggest disappointment is the temperature and fan noise. The performance is in line with what I expected but the noise is simply unacceptable considering they moved to a non blower cooler. This thing is loud as hell.

If this were $200 cheaper...sure. Disappointed in the current state, though.

Haven't read any reviews yet, will do that tonight. But did anyone of these reviewers undervolt the core or HBM2? Seems that's what you need to do to Vega 56 & 64 to get the most out of it clock wise and temp wise. If not, then I don't want to read that review.

Haven't read any reviews yet, will do that tonight. But did anyone of these reviewers undervolt the core or HBM2? Seems that's what you need to do to Vega 56 & 64 to get the most out of it clock wise and temp wise. If not, then I don't want to read that review.

Manual overclocking is broken at the moment, including voltage adjustments.

If this were $200 cheaper...sure. Disappointed in the current state, though.

Agreed. If it were even $150 dollars cheaper, AMD would have a real winner. But as it stands, you're paying $700 dollars for less & sometimes matched (gaming) performance with less features. But, that 16GB of HBM2 is interesting.

If you do not have time to watch the full video watch the summary in the last 5 mins. Look at the title of this video, "not ready for launch" I am sitting here scratching my head with my mouth open. WHY NOT? Would anyone have died if the launch was pushed back a week or even two? After FINALLY turning around the bad reputation AMD had with drivers how do you let this happen? How can a CEO not realize that first impressions count? I am trying to read Lisa Su's mind, forgive me DR Lisa Su. After all the positive moves she has made recently how does this happen? Help me understand this please :)

If you do not have time to watch the full video watch the summary in the last 5 mins. Look at the title of this video, "not ready for launch" I am sitting here scratching my head with my mouth open. WHY NOT? Would anyone have died if the launch was pushed back a week or even two? After FINALLY turning around the bad reputation AMD had with drivers how do you let this happen? How can a CEO not realize that first impressions count? I am trying to read Lisa Su's mind, forgive me DR Lisa Su. After all the positive moves she has made recently how does this happen? Help me understand this please :)

Easy, you put one foot forward, and you take two steps backward.

Delay cost would really depend on when they had to announce they delay. The closer to release a product is the most it will cost to delay. If, for example, they didn't realize until a week prior to launch that drivers wouldn't be ready in time they might have already been too committed to the launch to stop.

Back