Radeon 7 (Vega 2, 7nm, 16GB) - $699 available Feb 7th with 3 games

Why would you want to waste money at that? Just grab a vega 56 or 64 for cheaper lol. Its not just the 16GB of memory, that extra HBM2 stacks are more than doubling the bandwidth which is one of the primary reasons for the performance increase. if 8GB got the same performance amd would have loved to do that. There is a reason it has double the memory bandwidth.

Power, Well that would still be faster than a Vega 64 and use less power.

Power, Well that would still be faster than a Vega 64 and use less power.

Don’t think so. It will be clocked higher but use the same power. That’s what Radeon 7 is doing. It’s srill GCN at core so that’s the best it will do on 7nm until next gen. Unless ofcourse you are saying you don't want more performance and just efficiency. Now if AMD does they will get eaten alive lol.

Last edited:
I get efficiency.

But isn't complaining about power usage on a enthusiast board a bit like complaining about MPG on a Drag Racing forum...

A
Yeah ... most of the people paying for these cards generally have PSUs that are way more than sufficient.

Waiting on Nvidias move.....

They don't need to make a move. When you're the worlds best, fastest, most powerful video card maker, others tremble at your feet ... nVidia doesn't need to make a move, not with a $800 video card ( after tax, shipping ) and not including markup that has the performance below that of a RTX 2080. The Radeon 7 only beats nVidia at one game lol vs the 2080. This you can go research yourself.

But isn't complaining about power usage on a enthusiast board a bit like complaining about MPG on a Drag Racing forum...
Yeah ... most of the people paying for these cards generally have PSUs that are way more than sufficient.

The power is easy, unless you're looking at an OEM PSU- cooling is another matter, but perhaps the priority is noise. More heat means more noise from the GPU cooler and more noise from system fans to get rid of it.

So yeah, it's always part of the equation, especially when there are large deltas.

The power is easy, unless you're looking at an OEM PSU- cooling is another matter, but perhaps the priority is noise. More heat means more noise from the GPU cooler and more noise from system fans to get rid of it.

So yeah, it's always part of the equation, especially when there are large deltas.
I generally use liquid cooling because I hate noise. That is definitely a factor.

I generally use liquid cooling because I hate noise. That is definitely a factor.

And it adds to the cost- but I agree. My 1080Ti is liquid-cooled with a factory all-in-one (MSI supplied from Corsair, same as EVGA's at the time I believe).

The challenge is that cost is usually ~US$100 more; for that, you can usually get the performance without the extra thermals.

And a Nano version, for us SFF folks...
Hmm 7nm power efficiency should help even if they have to downclock it. I just hope AMD or their partners still feel there is a market for such a card.

I also hope we see more mainstream ITX cases that are designed around ITX sized graphics cards.

Hmm 7nm power efficiency should help even if they have to downclock it. I just hope AMD or their partners still feel there is a market for such a card.

I also hope we see more mainstream ITX cases that are designed around ITX sized graphics cards.
Well I think all Vega 56 cards are Nano sized PCBs (well more accurately components were arranged in that form despite full length pcb) even if no actual released cards took advantage of that size. So I don’t think they exactly forgot about the Nano but I wouldn’t say it’s a forefront of development.

Well I think all Vega 56 cards are Nano sized PCBs (well more accurately components were arranged in that form despite full length pcb) even if no actual released cards took advantage of that size. So I don’t think they exactly forgot about the Nano but I wouldn’t say it’s a forefront of development.

A lot were full size just for the cooling, right?

Buildzoid's thoughts on the AMD Radeon VII

His thoughts are pretty much where my own are. It is a repurposed data center card with enough power to keep AMD relevant in the gaming space. No deep financial risk as that is covered by the MI50 in its original market segment. AMD is clearly focusing the majority of their resources on the forthcoming mid-range Navi which makes sense with only so much to go around.

His thoughts are pretty much where my own are. It is a repurposed data center card with enough power to keep AMD relevant in the gaming space. No deep financial risk as that is covered by the MI50 in its original market segment. AMD is clearly focusing the majority of their resources on the forthcoming mid-range Navi which makes sense with only so much to go around.

Yea there is not going to be any other version of this card. I think rx 570 to vega 64 will get replaced by mid range navi. This was just too easy for amd to repurpose where they only had to design the cooler thats it. I think people looking for 8gb cut down version or nano version are going to be disappointed. By the time those are ready, Navi will likely be here and replace the entire stack of cards under Radeon 7.

Hopefully, although I'm a bit wary if the predicted 300W power consumption figure is true... This is why power efficiency matters!
A 2080 hits 260 watts in Tom's Hardware test so I dont see much difference there. Was a bigger deal when it was the Vega 64 vs a 1080.

His thoughts are pretty much where my own are. It is a repurposed data center card with enough power to keep AMD relevant in the gaming space.
/QUOTE]

Well it's a die shrunk vega, the original vega was also a compute card first gaming card second so not much has changed in that respect.

A 2080 hits 260 watts in Tom's Hardware test so I dont see much difference there. Was a bigger deal when it was the Vega 64 vs a 1080.
Fair enough, but an extra 40W, or 15%, feels like a fairly hefty difference for a SFF case. As ever, will wait to see what the real-world figures are like when these cards are reviewed.

Fair enough, but an extra 40W, or 15%, feels like a fairly hefty difference for a SFF case. As ever, will wait to see what the real-world figures are like when these cards are reviewed.

Doesn't look to be the type of card you'd want to put in a sff case.

It is squeezing as much as they can out of it. Supposedly Navi needed a respin in September that would mean that somewhere in March AMD knows how much can be done with Navi.

I like Buildzoid approach to explaining why there is no GDDR6 and why HBM2 is used.

I like Buildzoid approach to explaining why there is no GDDR6 and why HBM2 is used.

You'd be surprised at the amount of posts i've seen on various forums with people bitching about why they didn't use gddr6 to make the card cheaper. Apparently you just have to whip off the hbm and superglue the gddr6 on and that's it. :rolleyes:

It is squeezing as much as they can out of it. Supposedly Navi needed a respin in September that would mean that somewhere in March AMD knows how much can be done with Navi.

Honestly Navi was always mid 2019. If anything rumor in September was Navi was looking better then expected if anything. It all has to do with mass production on 7nm that is going to be q2 2019. That is the only reason Navi is not here. They have to have mid range cards in large quantities after all.

Pretty much the only video you need to watch prior to reviews coming out. Since he is one of only a handful of people that actually knows what they're talking about.

Reactions: Boil
like this

Doesn't look to be the type of card you'd want to put in a sff case.

Indeed not!

See, that is the thing about SFF, you want to cram as much power as possible into the smallest space available...

I, for one, would welcome the challenge of putting a Radeon VII into a SFF chassis...

First thoughts are to the NCASE M1, or the Mach One once that is squared away...

Pretty much the only video you need to watch prior to reviews coming out. Since he is one of only a handful of people that actually knows what they're talking about.
That is because he did all the work/analysis on Vega.

Lmao I run a 6 core 2600x and a 1070ti on an hx1000i

I also run a 2950x and 1080ti on an ax1200i

Talk about massive massive overkill PSUs

Read a rumor today that said only 5,000 units available for launch. If that is true they are going to sell out fast and have no stock for months....

Read a rumor today that said only 5,000 units available for launch. If that is true they are going to sell out fast and have no stock for months....

In all reality people who wanted to do 4K gaming got their card already then you have some folks that did not like to buy a Nvidia card and still want 4K gaming not to sure if the card had any mass market appeal to begin with ....

Well that sucks. If that's the case, supply and demand is going to make these cards well over $699 MSRP. Expect $800+ pricing. :sour:

Good old AMD. However, wait... "Good old AMD" would mean both minuscule launch supply AND a price/performance-winning product.

If no stories, invent one.

Indeed, another site is saying 20k on launch with 40k made available later depending on demand. Standard practice of some sites throwing shit against a wall and seeing what sticks.

Well that sucks. If that's the case, supply and demand is going to make these cards well over $699 MSRP. Expect $800+ pricing. :sour:

AMD in the Scott Herkelman interview has already stated that their direct sales will be at MSRP. Soooo..

Back