Radeon 7 (Vega 2, 7nm, 16GB) - $699 available Feb 7th with 3 games

Digital Viper-X-

[H]F Junkie
Announced today :O 26% more performance at the same power level

They didn't give much detail, apart from the 26% more performance @ the same power envelope, that could be just due to the 7nm jump, but they said 0 about architectural improvements, so it could be a bit better on review day.

Last edited:
So they doubled the ROPs in the architecture from 64 to 128.

I'm really curious to see how this benefits them, as one of the ideas behind the underwhelming performance of the original Vega was the lack of ROPs compared to shaders. Seems they have remedied that bottleneck finally.

these new cards sound really good...16GB HBM2 VRAM!...same power draw as the previous gen Vega 64!...performance comparable to the RTX 2080!...killer Vulkan performance!...each card will come with Devil May Cry 5, Resident Evil 2 and Division 2...hope they actually deliver and it's not all marketing hype...I'm not loving the $700 price though

these new cards sound really good...16GB HBM2 VRAM!...same power draw as the previous gen Vega 64!...performance comparable to the RTX 2080!...killer Vulkan performance!...hope they actually deliver and it's not all marketing hype
It's got me interested but I'm always waiting on the review from this site.

R7_Car2_678x452.jpg

I can't think of a reason to buy this unless you just absolutely don't want a Nvidia card. Seems to offer 2080 performance sans the raytracing at similar pricing. At best we can hope that it leads to a price war between manufacturers.

im... loving it. I wish it was a bit cheaper but thats the way the market is going. In a few months ill deff be buying a AMD over nvidia when its gpu time

I can't think of a reason to buy this unless you just absolutely don't want a Nvidia card. Seems to offer 2080 performance sans the raytracing at similar pricing. At best we can hope that it leads to a price war between manufacturers.
More of the same since AMD cannot compete at the very top end yet, current pricing of Radeon VII will not force Nvidia hands.

ray tracing is useless now except on the 2080ti...so with Radeon 7 you're getting a better 2080 card with more VRAM and better games which will benefit you more today

I'm thinking about this for my next build and I honestly can't figure out what app I have or use that could run 16gb VRAM. It would have been better to do Radeon 7 with 8GB and cut the price. Or am I missing something?

ray tracing is useless now except on the 2080ti...so with Radeon 7 you're getting a better 2080 card with more VRAM and better games which will benefit you more today
It’s useless on the 2080 Ti as well unless you OC the crap out of your card and even then it’s still pretty craptastic. Maybe next gen.

Not to be too negative about this because overall I am excited to see a new Radeon product, but I think that sticking with HBM2 is a mistake. This product doesn't need 16GB of RAM, and it's just adding to manufacturing costs.

That said, it seems like it's a repurposed GPU from the Radeon Instinct stack so they probably didn't want to spend R&D redesigning it to run on GDDR5X.

I'd rather have the option to use it even with the reduced performance than not have it at all if the price is the same. Sometimes it's just nice to watch eye candy graphics even if they don't run all that well. Nvidia also offers G-Sync support and with Freesync support coming they have wider support for displays. Better games is subjective, RE2 is the only one that interests me out of those.

16 GB RAM is nice but I feel like you will run out of performance before the amount of RAM becomes a bottleneck.

I was really hoping AMD would have something that falls nicely between the 2070/2080 as that would be fine for me playing at 1440p but at that pricing it's not looking good.

i get a sad reminder like this once in a while how most hardocp users shill for nvivia at every chance they get. Dont you guys want a price war? we all win.

i get a sad reminder like this once in a while how most hardocp users shill for nvivia at every chance they get. Dont you guys want a price war? we all win.
I don't understand your comment and how it relates to the situation.

I want competition. But if AMD is going to release a GPU in 2019 that competes with Nvidia's offering from 2017 and at the same price then how is that competitive?

They don't need to. This card isn't competitively priced IMO.

It'll likely have the same performance as a GTX 1080 Ti...except 2 years later...and at the same price.

That's the 4th time you've said exactly the same thing, once here and 3x in the keynote thread.

The 2060 has only a bit better performance than a 1070, except 2.5 years later at a similar price.

If AMD can release an 8gb version at slightly lower clocks, would be interesting.

Waiting on Nvidias move.....

NVIDIA already has them beat with the 2080 and 2080 Ti which have more features. Radeon 7 is just a die shrunk GPU from 2016, yawn. Where is the $250 Navi everyone has been raving about that would put an end to NVIDIA? That's right it's nowhere to be found. I guess the 2060 will be leading the way for the new midrange.

and VRR without the Gsync premium

Guess you haven't been paying attention to the news then. Async is supported by NVIDIA starting Jan 15th.

That's the 4th time you've said exactly the same thing, once here and 3x in the keynote thread.

There are literally about 8 different threads across this entire forum discussing the exact same topic. So yes, I will repeat myself to make a point across various threads. If you don't like my point, then I'm sorry to hit you with a dose of reality.

It's priced a hair below the 2080.

So if it matches or possibly beats a 2080 it's priced according to the market.
Obviously we all would love for it to be less $$$ but yeah...

AMD obviously feel it will do well against a 2080 so until we have end product benches we just have to think they're confident for a reason.

A

Even though I am a Radeon fan-boy, I won't expect much from the new Vega 2 - given AMD's track record. All their current cards perform noticeably worse than the Nvidia card they are claimed to compete with.

The current Vegas are supposed to compete with the 1080s but they are much slower. The 580s and 590s are supposed to compete with the 1070s but they are more like 1060s.

AMD says the new Vega 2 will compete with the 2080? I doubt it. The new Vega 2s are probably what will finally compete with the 1080s. AMD is always a step behind, unfortunately.

Even though I am a Radeon fan-boy, I won't expect much from the new Vega 2 - given AMD's track record. All their current cards perform noticeably worse than the Nvidia card they are claimed to compete with.

The current Vegas are supposed to compete with the 1080s but they are much slower. The 580s and 590s are supposed to compete with the 1070s but they are more like 1060s.

AMD says the new Vega 2 will compete with the 2080? I doubt it. The new Vega 2s are probably what will finally compete with the 1080s. AMD is always a step behind, unfortunately.

I am not the biggest AMD fan, but Vegas 64 does compete well against GTX 1080, Vega 56 compete extremely well against GTX 1070, RX 580 or 590 really well against 1060.

Waiting on Nvidias move.....

We'll have to wait & see where the performance lands but I doubt this will change much. If anything, we might see the RTX 2080 shift a tad bit so it's closer to that $699 price point but nothing will happen beyond that. Like most of us, Nvidia will be waiting for reviews to come out before deciding what to do.

I can't think of a reason to buy the RTX 2080 over this unless you just absolutely don't want an AMD card or only play Battlefield V single player. But if you can take advantage of more the 8GB of RAM, the RTX 2080 is really going to limit you....

Heaven forbid I discuss a hot topic that was literally announced just 3 hours ago, right?

Total $hi11 indeed when the GPU I had before my GTX 1080 Ti was an R9 390.

Sorry that I don't drink the cool-aid and overhype products that I don't believe deserve it. If you care to actually counter my argument instead of complaining about my posting history then let me know.

dont play moderator
Heaven forbid I discuss a hot topic that was literally announced just 3 hours ago, right?

Total $hi11 indeed when the GPU I had before my GTX 1080 Ti was an R9 390.

Sorry that I don't drink the cool-aid and overhype products that I don't believe deserve it. If you care to actually counter my argument instead of complaining about my posting history then let me know.

That's fine, just throttle it back a bit.

That's fine, just throttle it back a bit.

I don't think you are in a position to tell me how to post on this forum. Nothing I have posted has been against any forum rule. In fact, going OT and posting about my posting history does break the rules.

So please, go back on topic and form constructive arguments instead of attacking me.

trolling
Ever notice that when someone is called out for having a love affair with brand X, they immediately respond with "I have owned several brand Y products too!!!"

Anyhow, the price isn't fantastic, but neither was Vega 64. Hopefully we will get a Vega 56 replacement that battles the GTX 2070 for significantly less.

I was really hoping for AMD to come out with something that beat the price/performance of the 20xx series so the full product stack would shift lower. Instead we're left with exactly the same as what we had in 2016 with the 10xx series, just with another card on top of the stack. Talk about disappointing.

Which games need more than 8GB of VRAM today?

These cards look so close in performance, that it will like be down to which games you prefer as to which will deliver better gaming performance for you today.

With Price/Perf on todays games a wash, I suspect they will sell on brand recognition/preference, with rationalizations to cover it.

It's a shame AMD again did nothing to further Price/Perf. People bash NVidia for not moving it forward, but AMD is just as guilty.

Back