Radeon 7 Goes on Sale February 7

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
AMD just announced the Radeon 7 GPU at their CES keynote. This is presumably the gaming-oriented variant of their previously announced Vega datacenter GPU, and it will be built on Taiwan Semiconductor's 7nm process. The Radeon 7 GPU sports 60 Compute Units that run at up to 1.8Ghz, and also features 16GB of HBM memory with around 1TB/sec of bandwidth. AMD demo'd the GPU running The Division 2 at 4K settings, and also posted some impressive benchmarks of productivity workloads.

AMD claims that they can get 25% more performance in the same power envelope with this architecture, while some games get even larger performance improvements over Vega 64. The new GPU's performance seems to be par with a Nvidia RTX 2080, while the $699 MSRP is slightly below the street price the 2080. AMD says the card will go on sale February 7, and will come bundled with Devil May Cry 2, The Division 2 and Resident Evil 2 for a limited time.

Last edited:
MSRP starting at $699 (which means partner cards will be $50-100 more). The games for me DONT make this a value! Why 16gb of memory? Drives up the cost unnecessarily. This is smelling like Vega all over again (Sigh).

Reasonable looking cooler, hoping they looked at the 20xx series FE cooler and didn't make the same mistakes Nvidia did.

Color me interested. Did they mention if this would support Ray Tracing or not. I suspect not but then again I don't need that either.

I like it. Not quite there yet but getting closer. If I didn't already have a GTX 1080 Ti I would seriously look at this card. Maybe next upgrade. Kudos to AMD and their team for their hard work.

MSRP starting at $699 (which means partner cards will be $50-100 more). The games for me DONT make this a value! Why 16gb of memory? Drives up the cost unnecessarily. This is smelling like Vega all over again (Sigh).

16gb of Vram may seem like lot, but if you're gaming at 4k, the hi-res texture packs on some games take up more than 9gb.

For those saying $599 just flip the game bundle, can probably get $75 easy for them. That would bring it almost to the $599 price point.
Curious if HMB had to run in pairs? If so, then they maybe only had 2 options 4x2 or 8x2

Underwhelming, but not bad. It's good that they are undercutting the 2080 pricing - if their performance is as stated (I will await Kyle's tests for this determination). Yet, I'd like to see AMD come out with something to compete at the xx80 Ti performance tier, one of these days. Compete on flat-out performance, not JUST price/performance balance.

Was the power budget of the Radeon 7 announced? Its going to be a little weird/sucky if it is consuming more power than 2080 AND produced on a smaller node.

Not a card for me at 1080p but perhaps awesome enough for 4K gamers.

Decent bundle too IMHO.

I used to be of this mindset as I still use a 1080P display as my daily driver, until I started experimenting with DSR (VSR is AMD's equivalent). I was surprised to see how drastically it can improve texture and aliasing IQ even if just scaling from 1440P.

Does it though? Is the cost difference between 12gb of HBM 2 that much different than 16gb of hbm2? I feel (note, I have no F'ing idea in reality, just mah feelz) like the biggest expense of HBM2 would be in the interposer, and adding an extra stack of ram would have very little added cost.

My gut tells me that changing the amount of ram on an HBM2 chip is a monstrous headache and since this is likely a rebranded worstation Vega card, cutting down the ram is a big pain.

For sure DDR6 is cheaper overall, but I know there was some kind of deal set up on HBM2 since AMD played a big role in it's development.

Going from what I have seen, you can't easily change from HBM to GDDR ram on a chip and it requires a completely different architecture. (Volta has hbm, Turing does not, Vega has HBM, polaris does not, etc. etc.)

Last edited:
I wish the price had been right at $599. That would have been the PERFECT place to launch this.

This card is the modern equivalent of the 4870, 5870, 7970, and 290x. On that basis, $499 would have been the appropriate launch price, but just like there's the Overton window in politics, Nvidia has shifted the "acceptable" price point for graphics cards for the the more expensive side of things.

I'll also agree with the other posters that as long as the memory bandwidth could have been kept the same, then 8GB along with a much lower price tag would have been a better play.

I wonder if we'll eventually see an 8GB version released in the future for $599. I think it would be a decent seller for those people who want performance at non-4K resolutions.

We had this performance with almost the same amount of ram at this price 2 years ago.
$699 is too much.

We need a 2080ti competitor for not much more!
Will AMD actually be able to do it under $1K?

Overpriced.

Looks to match the performance of a RTX 2080 which is roughly the same performance of a 1080 Ti. The 1080 Ti came out 2 years ago for the same $699 launch price and AMD is going to essentially release its competitor 2 years later at the same price.

It's an RTX 2080 without Ray-Tracing which is basically a GTX 1080 Ti. Should've been a $499-$549 card; definitely not $699.

It took AMD until February of 2019 to "match" the performance Nvidia has offered since August 2016 (Titan X (Pascal) = GTX 1080 Ti = RTX 2080). Oh, and 7nm as well. And 1TB/s VRAM bandwidth.

Color me unimpressed. RTX 2080 Ti is still way faster.

AMD is notorious for lowering prices after period of time. nVidia will pimp rtx but they'll have to drop price to compete.

Seems disappointing tbh I expected a lot better of a performance increase I guess the double triple patterning of the lithography really did not give the yields we hoped for..... Well if AMD got 25% I wonder how much better this will be for NVidia, I really hope they are waiting till next year for TSMC UVL process the more precise lithography should yield a bit better of a result and if we are extremely lucky NVidia 7nm uvl might get 30-40% increases where as AMD will have experience with the node size they will have a much smaller increase unless they can make up for it with arch changes.

I wonder if we'll eventually see an 8GB version released in the future for $599. I think it would be a decent seller for those people who want performance at non-4K resolutions.

we'll probably see one or 2 lower cards(at least i hope we do).. i'd like to see an 8GB version that's around the vega 64 performance but much lower power usage.

Seems disappointing tbh I expected a lot better of a performance increase I guess the double triple patterning of the lithography really did not give the yields we hoped for..... Well if AMD got 25% I wonder how much better this will be for NVidia, I really hope they are waiting till next year for TSMC UVL process the more precise lithography should yield a bit better of a result and if we are extremely lucky NVidia 7nm uvl might get 30-40% increases where as AMD will have experience with the node size they will have a much smaller increase unless they can make up for it with arch changes.

may just be a stop gap card til navi releases or just a way to use all the excess vega II chips from the enterprise side of things.

It took AMD until February of 2019 to "match" the performance Nvidia has offered since August 2016 (Titan X (Pascal) = GTX 1080 Ti = RTX 2080). Oh, and 7nm as well. And 1TB/s VRAM bandwidth.

Color me unimpressed. RTX 2080 Ti is still way faster.

To be fair, I think this GPU was in the height of it's R&D phase when AMD had all their assets invested into Ryzen R&D leaving the GPU end operating on peanuts and bottle caps.

While I am happy to see AMD trying to compete at the high end, this (and the 590) seem like stopgap products waiting for Navi. Yeah - its 7nm, however it only matches older Nvidia tech, and if Instinct is any indicator, it may be at a larger power budget.

That said, I am in need of an upgrade and competition generally lowers prices.

Back