Radeon 6850/6950 downclocking

Does anyone know why Radeon 6850/6950s down clock while watching any video (YouTube mainly) when you have a game open? And is there any way to prevent this?

for me they only downclock if I'm completely idle or not doing anything graphic intensive. you could try using after burner or ccc with overdrive and maybe it will stick on the "high" profile.

So you are actively gaming while playing a video on another screen, or playing a video while the game is in the background/minimized?

One have one monitor, but I play WoW so if I have WoW open and no videos in Firefox open, its at 775MHz and as soon as I open a vid it drops to 300MHz even with WoW still open and playing

My old 5850 did this too, I thought it was a niggle with the drivers I had at the time. Disabling hardware acceleration on the youtube video can fix this.

(If that doesn't work you need to find some way of overiding the powerplay settings on the card, which is fiddly.)

Last edited:
My old 5850 did this too, I thought it was a niggle with the drivers I had at the time. Disabling hardware acceleration on the youtube video can fix this.

(If that doesn't work you need to find some way of overiding the powerplay settings on the card, which is fiddly.)

It worked. Thanks!

Back