Radeon 6800 rumored to be 1.5x speed of 3090 for mining: Are we doomed?

vjhawk

Limp Gawd
So I just heard this news from NotanApplefan... The new Radeon 6800 is a MUCH faster mining card than even the Nvidia 3090. 1.5x faster allegedly.

When you consider that the power draw on the 6000 series is much lower, the price is lower, and the mining performance is upwards of 50% faster... this adds up to a deadly 'trifecta' which adds up to this conclusion - these are HIGHLY DESIREABLE mining cards.

End result - If the crypto mining craze continues, the average consumer like you or I will be unable to get our hands on the new 6000 series GPUs. In other words forget about upgrading your GPU this year or maybe even next year if these conditions persist. Big OOF.

So how do you feel about this news? Do you believe that we will have to compete with miners for these GPUs? How does this affect your chances of upgrading your GPU anytime soon?

Does this news make you sad or angry?

jiFfM.jpg

Mining isn't even close as lucrative as it used to be.
Currently, only some altcoins are holding, but it's far from how it used to be where you could earn money mining basically anything.
Bitcoin is on the rise again, but its popularity has no effect on GPU prices. You can't mine Bitcoin with GPUs.
Popular coins like Ethereum are a third of what they used to be worth at their highest, but if miners flock to one popular coin, everyone earns less. Therefore having a few profitable alt coins won't affect GPUs that much.
But, if new video cards are so powerful they make mining lesser coins profitable again, the gamers are in deep shit.

Yes it could be a good move only at the very beginning of the launch and only until they are not easy to get (i.e. not too many people mining with them), that would still more than enough to mess a launch, specially with a large part of the world going in their winter, maybe it will not make sense for a may launch, but a november launch ?

Nebell That wont stop large groups who have mining farms upgrading their GPU's. Sure for most home users, mining on a single card wont get you much, but for Alt coins you get in early, mine a couple hundred or thousand and then HODL! When you have hundreds of cards or more, sure thing they will try to get these new cards in to replace their old R9s or 580's that they may of been using.

If the #'s hold true, it should net close to $5 a day on Ethereum... That means $150 a month per card. Payback would be less than 5 months... This is definitely something miners will be watching. Anything with sub 6 month payback periods are prime. I would be very worried about miners, especially with the slight upswing lately it could drive a few outfits to buy them up quickly, but hopefully not to much > MSRP.

Reactions: Parja
like this
i just checked on my 5800xt at over 50mh and it's about 1 dollar per day after electric, if 6800xt is twice that fast, it's about 2 dollars per day, rumors of your death (6800 series) have been greatly exaggerated.

Unless mining has a worldwide recovery, that no one sees coming, the demand from actual gamers / creators will be enough to choke out supply.

A little sensation sets the world alight.

i just checked on my 5800xt at over 50mh and it's about 1 dollar per day after electric, if 6800xt is twice that fast, it's about 2 dollars per day, rumors of your death (6800 series) have been greatly exaggerated.

Unless mining has a worldwide recovery, that no one sees coming, the demand from actual gamers / creators will be enough to choke out supply.

A little sensation sets the world alight.
5800XT? Wut?

Assuming Ethash...which is the most profitable algo right now.
5700 can do about 50MH/s (at ~100W power draw)
3090 can do about 120MH/s
So if 6800 can do 1.5x 3090, that's ~180MH/s

180MH/s is roughly $5.50/day in Ethereum revenue right now. And if history repeats itself, that will probably be achievable at a pretty low power level, so $5/day should be pretty doable if you don't have insanely expensive power.

if you weren't in on the mining craze in the past decade prior, there's no hope for it now. The rate of return is pretty paltry for most atypical electric rates.

5800XT? Wut?

Assuming Ethash...which is the most profitable algo right now.
5700 can do about 50MH/s (at ~100W power draw)
3090 can do about 120MH/s
So if 6800 can do 1.5x 3090, that's ~180MH/s

180MH/s is roughly $5.50/day in Ethereum revenue right now. And if history repeats itself, that will probably be achievable at a pretty low power level, so $5/day should be pretty doable if you don't have insanely expensive power.
almost 4x the 5700xt seems like a bit of a stretch. I'll be happy to eat my hat if it comes true.

if you weren't in on the mining craze in the past decade prior, there's no hope for it now. The rate of return is pretty paltry for most atypical electric rates.
At most points in time, the return rate was pretty paltry. People calculated 6-9 months ROI which always ended up being closer to a year due to lower mining rates, lower prices and/or increased hash difficulty.
Mining on a large scale is stressful and a lot of work. I'd not expect more than $2-3 tops/day per gpu.
Plus, it most certainly does wear down the video cards due to fan wear & tear.

My two 5700s made $420 in 6 weeks, my electricity costs were about $45. The reason for the net profit is i mined bitcoin when it was worth 11k each, now its almost 18k per btc. If i see any 6800/6800xt i will NAB them up. ROI at current rates will be 4 months -- long before my 0% interest runs out :)

Edit: it seems rumors of them being good at mining is false for now. I may just pick up a few more 5700s if they get discounted.

Last edited:
The new 6800XT only does about 65 MH/s on ETH. It might be able to get to 70MH/s with improved drivers and tweaks to mining software, but that will be it given the memory bus limit. Also, it takes about 170 watts to reach that speed, so a very minor improvement over the 5700XT.

My 5700XT based rigs, with BIOS mod, do about 58MH/s @ 120 watts or so, per card.

The 3080 is a better GPU for mining not only ETH, but other algos as well. It does about 94 MH/s on ETH @ 210 watts.

Last edited:
Back