Radeon 6770/6750 at best buy

kinjo

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey im not sure if anyone has reported this already, but I was at my local Best Buy looking at open box TV's and I noticed that they are selling XFX Radeon 6770/6750's. they were of course priced higher than a 6790 off Newegg/Tiger Direct; but I thought the fact that they are out in the wild might be of interest to someone as im sure that means they will show up else where at more reasonable prices.

They were priced at $150/$180 but there was no meaningful information or pictures on the boxes (IE. shader count/clocks though they are both sporting 1 gb of ram for whatever thats worth). They were both sporting low PSU requirements 450W for 6770 400W for 6750 so for what its worth they could be really good for an htpc I imagine.

Anyways thats all the info I have to share so enjoy.

nice to see they are out.. typical best buy mark up and lack of information though.. as far as HTPC goes the 6450 or 6550 will probably be much better choices since they can be run with passive cooling and much lower power usage.

nice to see they are out.. typical best buy mark up and lack of information though.. as far as HTPC goes the 6450 or 6550 will probably be much better choices since they can be run with passive cooling and much lower power usage.

Best Buy is not a low-priced retailer - comparing them to any e-tailer (and especially Newegg) would be silly (especially comparing them on price). Best Buy (like any retailer) competes not on price, but availability compared to other retailers. The real proof of retail availability would be MicroCenter, not Best Buy.

I thought these were just rebadged 5750 and 5770 cards with some small HD capability upgrades and were supposively going to be OEM only?

Interesting.

I thought these were just rebadged 5750 and 5770 cards with some small HD capability upgrades and were supposively going to be OEM only?

Interesting.

Maybe has something to do with the lack of meaningful information or pictures on the boxes? But then why is Bestbuy selling them...

Seems to be a lot of dirty stuff going on with XFX lately. Makes me wish I thought twice about buying my reference card. At least I got mine before XFX could rape the quality out of it and call it v1.1

Im staying away from XFX for the mean time, I never saw a direct need to buy them when they were nvidia only. Having an extra AIB for ATI is nice but XFX is slowly (or quickly?) going down the tubes in popularity.

These were going to be OEM only with a limited supply for retail/e-tail. Its not suprising they show up first at BB, I remember when the only place I could get a 7800GT-AGP was with them and I paid $300, man that blew, since the "out of stock" price on newegg was $200... wish they had better stock at that time :(.

Yeah XFX just lost my buisness after I finished reading through that. Never an excuse for shipping a card without some kind of functioning (even if it's not 100%) driver.

oh best buy, how it sucks to sell products that dont function like they should. I go into bestbuy sometimes to see what they have. For kicks I ask for help at times when its not busy, some of the stuff that they tell you is rediculous!

The 6770 and 6750 are not OEM products any longer. They are being released retail and the stock at Best Buy is full retail packaged cards. XFX and Best Buy have an exclusive on the first couple of weeks. After that they will be available at all of the normal retail and etail outlets. If you go back and read that thread after I got in to the office this morning and had a chance to clear up the misunderstandings it should clear up the situation.

Seems to be a lot of dirty stuff going on with XFX lately. Makes me wish I thought twice about buying my reference card. At least I got mine before XFX could rape the quality out of it and call it v1.1

Im staying away from XFX for the mean time, I never saw a direct need to buy them when they were nvidia only. Having an extra AIB for ATI is nice but XFX is slowly (or quickly?) going down the tubes in popularity.

These were going to be OEM only with a limited supply for retail/e-tail. Its not suprising they show up first at BB, I remember when the only place I could get a 7800GT-AGP was with them and I paid $300, man that blew, since the "out of stock" price on newegg was $200... wish they had better stock at that time :(.

Yeah XFX just lost my buisness after I finished reading through that. Never an excuse for shipping a card without some kind of functioning (even if it's not 100%) driver.

EPIC FAIL. LOL. 25 pages of bad press for no reason!

Okay XFX gets a "get out of jail free" card for this one. Just in time too since I'm bout to buy something, tried to play the Amnesia dark descent demo with all the settings turned to their lowest levels and it was a chugfest. This is like the 4th or 5th game that I've wanted to try that flat out can't be played on an X1800XL at 1280 res.

Okay XFX gets a "get out of jail free" card for this one. Just in time too since I'm bout to buy something, tried to play the Amnesia dark descent demo with all the settings turned to their lowest levels and it was a chugfest. This is like the 4th or 5th game that I've wanted to try that flat out can't be played on an X1800XL at 1280 res.

That link wasn't what I was refering to XFX. That thread turned to crap and the poster seemed to be a bit irrational. I'm glad it got cleared up because overreactions turning into one big mis-interpretation does no good for anyone, even if you don't care for the company.

My gripe comes from the revised boards using cheaper parts and no change to the revision number. I'll stick away from that for now on until XFX comes out with an official explanation. If they did and I miss it then I'm sorry.

That link wasn't what I was refering to XFX. That thread turned to crap and the poster seemed to be a bit irrational. I'm glad it got cleared up because overreactions turning into one big mis-interpretation does no good for anyone, even if you don't care for the company.

My gripe comes from the revised boards using cheaper parts and no change to the revision number. I'll stick away from that for now on until XFX comes out with an official explanation. If they did and I miss it then I'm sorry.

funny thing is it took people this long to realize that.. XFX did it with the 4k series 5k series and now 6k series, and they aren't the only ones that do it. this is standard practice with AMD/ATI cards and theres really nothing that regulates they must change the model numbers unless they actually change something from the reference design which they really aren't they are just disabling the voltage tweaking and changing a few electrical parts to make the cards more cost effective.

a good example with the 5870 which the reference design allowed voltage tweaking.. 3 months later(which is controlled by AMD/ATI) the non reference cards came out from XFX, Sapphire, ASUS, etc, etc. which all of them did not allow voltage tweaking(other then the aftermarket overclocking cards from asus and msi), yet there wasn't a single thing from any of the companies that said the cards were any different from the reference designs. so did anyone freak out then? no. so why are we freaking out now?

Voltage tweaking, bios switch, back plate, and hole placement.

And if you still don't get what was the problem with doing the change and not changing the number to let people know then you lack either ethics or basic understanding of how others may have different interests than you @ the hardware, as this was pointed out in these forums, and at this point noone would get you to understand or change.

EDIT TO ADD:
For those that don't know, XFX is selling 2 cards with a slight different feature set under the exact same part code//boxart, the difference is a V1.1 sticker "under the hood" (and the more "obvious" lack of a Bios switch), changes that you can't see until you have the card physically in front of you for sure, because no, online store photos can't be trusted as they are mostly stock photos from the manufacturer.
And yes, voltage tweaking, bios switch, back plate, all of those are part of the target feature set for some peeps.

Last edited:
Back