Radeon 6000 series speculation

I'm not really worried about the RT performance of these cards. Since I've been in doors I've been rolling through my Steam library and only have two RT games out of like 100 games (i think I have more games than that but can't check at work). So as long as these cards are cheaper i'll bite. Overall I'm just glad I have a choice now. For years I never really considered AMD unless it was for a HTPC or something like that. Hell I didn't even think they were going to compete with the 3080 a month ago. These are good times.

Just saw this on Gamer's Nexus review of the RX 6800 XT. The showed a Control benchmark at 4K between Nvidia cards w/ DLSS vs. the 6800 XT without DLSS.

One word.... oof.

View attachment 300528

It'll be interesting to see AMD's answer to DLSS.

depends on the game and the review, try and broaden your focus from a single benchmark.
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_rx_6800_xt_review,11.html
OK lets get this straight here. You quoted a guy ,fellow Canadian I think I recognize the name.
With DLSS on RTX 3080 gets this many FPS and on AMD 6800XT gets this many FPS with DLSS off or nothing equivalent to DLSS ,then he goes one word oof. (bad thing implied)

Then you said "interesting to see AMD's answer to DLSS" which should be called (Super Resolution)like you do not know
Then I said lol RTX 3080 gets 20' FPS with DLSS off in 4k.
Then you said ,I am finding it very hard to type without laughing here,you then suggest to me "try and broaden your focus from a single benchmark."

You just can not make this stuff up, fuck I find that funny. I have a RTX 3080 and I went to buy a AMD 6800XT but line ups were too long.I have not changed my mind on AMD 6800XT but I am now focused on Red Devil AMD 6800XT

OK lets get this straight here. You quoted a guy ,fellow Canadian I think I recognize the name.
With DLSS on RTX 3080 gets this many FPS and on AMD 6800XT gets this many FPS with DLSS off or nothing equivalent to DLSS ,then he goes one word oof. (bad thing implied)

Then you said "interesting to see AMD's answer to DLSS" which should be called (Super Resolution)like you do not know
Then I said lol RTX 3080 gets 20' FPS with DLSS off in 4k.
Then you said ,I am finding it very hard to type without laughing here,you then suggest to me "try and broaden your focus from a single benchmark."

You just can not make this stuff up, fuck I find that funny. I have a RTX 3080 and I went to buy a AMD 6800XT but line ups were too long.I have not changed my mind on AMD 6800XT but I am now focused on Red Devil AMD 6800XT
Superresolution is a stop-gap. Not AMD's true answer to DLSS. Guess I am laughing WITH you.

AMD will implement a solution for everyone to use. I think the AMD card released today is fine .

If it's lossless, I don't care. Considering its lossy, I'm uninterested.
Have you actually used it? I haven’t gone pixel peeping, but it looks good to me at 4K in Cod Cold War.

I think I will go with the RTX 3000 series after all. I don't care at all about RT right now since none of the implementations impress me but I do care about 4k and 1440p performance. At 1440p it seems like either are good enough, but at 4k there are a lot of games where the 6800XT takes a big hit. Also really don't care about DLSS but I guess its a nice feature to have.

Any theories on which will likely hold up better in 5-8 years' time? -- 6800XT or 3080? That 16GB sounds like good future proofing on paper, and AMD already announced they are working on their own DLSS alternative - which will hopefully be activated on the 6000 series, at least?

Have you actually used it? I haven’t gone pixel peeping, but it looks good to me at 4K in Cod Cold War.
Not enabled for the 1080ti and I didn't land a 3080 / 3090 at launch + 3 weeks after. At this point I don't see a reason to spend the money on the 3090 and the 3080 is still vapor, so I won't have the option to try DLSS any time soon.

Any theories on which will likely hold up better in 5-8 years' time? -- 6800XT or 3080? That 16GB sounds like good future proofing on paper, and AMD already announced they are working on their own DLSS alternative - which will hopefully be activated on the 6000 series, at least?
Honestly I dont think the 16gb will matter if you arent on 4k and 4k performance on the 6800 XT isnt as good as the 3080. I just dont see 1440p using up more than 10gb VRAM. I really wanted the RX 6000 series to be my next card but the 4k performance just isn't there compared to the rtx 3000 series.

Honestly I dont think the 16gb will matter if you arent on 4k and 4k performance on the 6800 XT isnt as good as the 3080. I just dont see 1440p using up more than 10gb VRAM. I really wanted the RX 6000 series to be my next card but the 4k performance just isn't there compared to the rtx 3000 series.
Will this hold true for titles some years in the future at 1440p? I would think we can expect texture sizes to continue to grow thus requiring more memory, but maybe you mean 1440p has a relative ceiling we've already hit?
(I've been out of the game for 10 years now)

Will this hold true for titles some years in the future at 1440p? I would think we can expect texture sizes to continue to grow thus requiring more memory, but maybe you mean 1440p has a relative ceiling we've already hit?
(I've been out of the game for 10 years now)
Last few vram usage comparisons I saw see 1440p at maybe 5-6gb max. I don’t think we will see a doubling of vram usage for 1440p and definitely not going to the 16gb mark. For reference the 4K vram usage in most games are about 8gb and that’s more than 2x more pixels.

If we do the performance of a 6800xt will probably not be very desirable at that point.

me really wants. me really wont get for a while because of availability.
You and me both, dude. I tried my best but couldn't get one ordered this morning. Hopefully I'll be able to nab one by the end of January. I need a new space heater.

The performance numbers came out...
-6800 XT is slightly slower than the 3080 but within 6% overall. Fine.
-The 6800 is not that much faster than the 3070 to justify the $80 price increase. Awkward!
-Overall the prize is the 6800XT which made a huge performance jump over the 5700XT but doesn't quite top the 3080, especially not in 4k gaming where it falls behind despite having 6GB more VRAM. #Does VRAM actually matter?

Despite performance just being competitive rather than superior to Nvidia, everything would have been forgiven if AMD 6000 series card stock had been available. But this looks to be even WORSE PAPER LAUNCH than Nvidia. UGGHH!! 😡😡😡

Thank you Dr. Summary. What do you base the above comment on besides just grabbing it out of ur ass?
LOL Watch on Youtube or ANY Tech Channel! It's OBVOUS nobody can buy these EFFING cards! Newegg OOS instantly! MicroCenter, people wait in line overnight and come out with a 3080 or 3090 instead of a 6000 series GPU. Get your head out of the SAND!!

Skip to 7:50 for overall benchmark results. It's a 6% Nvidia advantage. The bigger frame buffer does nothing for AMD performance.

LOL Watch on Youtube or ANY Tech Channel! It's OBVOUS nobody can buy these EFFING cards! Newegg OOS instantly! MicroCenter, people wait in line overnight and come out with a 3080 or 3090 instead of a 6000 series GPU. Get your head out of the SAND!!

When demand exceeds supply, your internet mimes cannot quantify the amount of cards available at launch as compared to Nvidia or anything else for that matter. Get a grip.

When demand exceeds supply, your internet mimes cannot quantify the amount of cards available at launch as compared to Nvidia or anything else for that matter. Get a grip.
So how much does AMD pay you to SHILL? It's been reported worldwide that AMD stock was SHIT on launch day.

Seriously your dogged fandom makes you look irrational in this instance. There's no Defending AMD for their FAILURE to LAUNCH!!

So how much does AMD pay you to SHILL? It's been reported worldwide that AMD stock was SHIT on launch day.

Seriously your dogged fandom makes you look irrational in this instance. There's no Defending AMD for their FAILURE to LAUNCH!!

Triggered. Take a chill pill. Maybe when you are calm and collected we can discuss the fine points of supply, demand, fab allocation and reserving wafer quantity a year in advance. On top of that we can throw in a pandemic.

The performance numbers came out...
-6800 XT is slightly slower than the 3080 but within 6% overall. Fine.
-The 6800 is not that much faster than the 3070 to justify the $80 price increase. Awkward!
-Overall the prize is the 6800XT which made a huge performance jump over the 5700XT but doesn't quite top the 3080, especially not in 4k gaming where it falls behind despite having 6GB more VRAM. #Does VRAM actually matter?
You and I must have not read the same group of reviews.

This kind of confirms my thoughts on RDNA 2, it's over priced for what it's brining to the table. It basically matches the 3080 in terms of raster performance, but falls way behind in terms of ray tracing, DLSS, etc. The feature set makes the 3080 a far more compelling product. The 6800 is basically in no mans land (the price makes no sense at all) it should really be 500 bucks. I'm probably going to grab a 3060 ti when it comes out, just managed to snag a 5800x.

This kind of confirms my thoughts on RDNA 2, it's over priced for what it's brining to the table. It basically matches the 3080 in terms of raster performance, but falls way behind in terms of ray tracing, DLSS, etc. The feature set makes the 3080 a far more compelling product. The 6800 is basically in no mans land (the price makes no sense at all) it should really be 500 bucks. I'm probably going to grab a 3060 ti when it comes out, just managed to snag a 5800x.
I don't think its overpriced. If you are doing strictly 1440p gaming and dont care about RT its the better and cheaper option. If you are doing 4k then the 3080 is slightly better.

Overpriced, but right now demand is through the roof.

AMD has more wiggle room to drop prices Navi21 die is smaller. Perhaps they could come out with a 8 GB '6800 LE' to undercut the 3070.

That said, this is [H] where everyone is hard. The AMD 6700 and Nvidia 3060 is where the real action will be, and AMD should be able to dominate if there.

Name Calling / Insults - Not Acceptable
Real World Results: People who camped overnight at Microcenter aren't even getting the 6800XT.

There's no need to defend the worst PAPER LAUNCH since the 3000 series. Which was pretty damn terrible. AMD has managed to do WORSE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Real World Results: People who camped overnight at Microcenter aren't even getting the 6800XT.

There's no need to defend the worst PAPER LAUNCH since the 3000 series. Which was pretty damn terrible. AMD has managed to do WORSE!

The difference is you will see more product in retail every day with AIB custom cards hitting on the 25th and more and more coming to market through December. I figure by the end of Q4 AMD will have sold between 5 to 7 times more 6800s than 3080s.

Last edited:
I just saw this on Twitter:
View attachment 300482
5150Joker Which is interesting because on the 17th at about 10PM MDT time they had 3 models , 2 showed back ordered while 1 showed in stock, I got it into my cart but upon signing in, it was then gone, so either their web team is not too smart... (could be bcause their "in stock" filter always shows items not in stock, or they did sell the few they had, accidentally..early..

Oh relax your bad self. AMD released 4 MAJOR products CPU, GPU, and two consoles. The smallest, tiniest of tech companies is pushing out the MOST product that should earn them some respect and patience.

The difference is you will see more product in retail every day with AIB custom cards hitting on the 25th and more and more coming to market through December. I figure by the end of Q4 AMD will have sold between 5 to 7 times more 6800s than 3080s.

What’s your source for the numbers? How do you know how many 3080s have been sold?

Back