Radeon 6000 series speculation

No. I'll go AMD if it's within 10% performance-wise.

Ok, I had interpreted your earlier comment to mean that AMD should price their cards based on performance parity alone. If you prefer AMD then of course that would be a major factor in your purchase decision.

because it doesn't have anything remotely as good as DLSS 2.0

I'll ask a question I put in another thread.

After two years of turing, which of these games makes DLSS a must have.

Fortnite
Death Stranding
F1 2020
Final Fantasy XV
Anthem
Battlefield V
Monster Hunter: World
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Metro Exodus
Control
Deliver Us The Moon
Wolfenstein Youngblood
Bright Memory
Mechwarrior V: Mercenaries

I'll ask a question I put in another thread.

After two years of turing, which of these games makes DLSS a must have.

Fortnite
Death Stranding
F1 2020
Final Fantasy XV
Anthem
Battlefield V
Monster Hunter: World
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Metro Exodus
Control
Deliver Us The Moon
Wolfenstein Youngblood
Bright Memory
Mechwarrior V: Mercenaries
Anything before DLSS 2.0 => none => would never use

Anything using DLSS 2, if you have a low end Turing card like the 3060.

Control if one wants to crank up the RT settings and higher resolution is about the only one for like a 2080Ti

Anything before DLSS 2.0 => none => would never use

Anything using DLSS 2, if you have a low end Turing card like the 3060.

Control if one wants to crank up the RT settings and higher resolution is about the only one for like a 2080Ti

I'm on board with it being a nice to have. That list has 14 games on it, the list of games that were announced to have DLSS support, have been released, and still don't is 17.

I still fail see how it's a must have feature, the adoption rate is low, and even after 2.0 and it's relaxed requirements hasn't picked up. Right now, and for the foreseeable future, it's a niche feature.

Games announced to have DLSS that are currently out, but no support yet.

We Happy Few
Kinetik
Outpost Zero
PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds
Remnant from the Ashes
Scum
Darksiders III
Dauntless
Fear the Wolves
Fractured Lands
Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
Hitman 2
Islands of Nyne: Battle Royale
ARK: Survival Evolved
Justice
JX3
Amid Evil

DLSS is not a deal breaker for me, neither is RT, but if it has it, even better.
That's pretty much how I feel in regards to RT. Most games right now are meh, I just beat BF5 with RT on Ultra for the first 2 war stories, and the last 2 stories I turned RT off. Actually I turned RT off mid way through the 3rd Norway story, and unless someone could put images side by side, I honestly couldn't tell you what was missing. I get that RT makes the lighting far more realistic, but even when it's turned off I just can't see much of a difference. Sure if I stare at static images on some review site you can definately tell, but in game without a side by side comparison, it's hard to tell what you're suppose to see different. Then again, it's hard to look for any change in graphics when you're being shot at. I'm really looking forward to see what AMD can bring to the table, I've been the owner of many AMD/ATI cards over the years and if they can deliver a card within the 3080 range, I'll grab one and flip my 3080 as I would prefer AMD.

Never owned that card.
Do you love your 5800XT instead of the vastly superior RTX 3080?

It's just graphics cards guys. Another will be along next year...and the next... :)

Dunno why people here get so het up about this stuff. It's just consumer electronics on a continuous refresh cycle. Don't like it, return it/sell it and buy another one. You can always tell yourself that extra boost from 163FPS to 172FPS was totally worth it.

It's just graphics cards guys. Another will be along next year...and the next... :)

Dunno why people here get so het up about this stuff. It's just consumer electronics on a continuous refresh cycle. Don't like it, return it/sell it and buy another one. You can always tell yourself that extra boost from 163FPS to 172FPS was totally worth it.
Well not everyone upgrades every year or even every generation so when you decide to upgrade it can be exciting to anticipate what the new card will bring. For myself I have a 1070 TI and have a 4K monitor so this is a big upgrade for me and every ounce of power is important for 4K. Ampere was frankly disappointing especially from a power standpoint so the rumors that RDNA 2 will have similar or even better performance at a much smaller TDP is exciting. If it is not for you, well you can find something you like better

Well not everyone upgrades every year or even every generation so when you decide to upgrade it can be exciting to anticipate what the new card will bring. For myself I have a 1070 TI and have a 4K monitor so this is a big upgrade for me and every ounce of power is important for 4K. Ampere was frankly disappointing especially from a power standpoint so the rumors that RDNA 2 will have similar or even better performance at a much smaller TDP is exciting. If it is not for you, well you can find something you like better
Everyone is excited to possibly see AMD properly challenge Nvidia. We aren't all zealots though.

That's how I'm looking at this. I'm guessing that the RT part isn't going to be quite up to Nvidia's 3080, but should be comparable in terms of rasterization performance with a lower power draw.

If that's how it shakes out, I'd probably prefer the AMD card for the lower power draw.

It’s gonna be amazing to see stock of ampere cards the day before the big Navi launch. I really hope amd can stick it to nvidia. They don’t have to beat them in performance. If the price is cheaper and you can actually get the cards the. That will be a huge win for amd.

After having a 5700xt with a ton of issues I said I wouldn’t get amd again but after this nvidia shit show we’ve been dealing with I might give amd my money

It’s gonna be amazing to see stock of ampere cards the day before the big Navi launch. I really hope amd can stick it to nvidia. They don’t have to beat them in performance. If the price is cheaper and you can actually get the cards the. That will be a huge win for amd.

After having a 5700xt with a ton of issues I said I wouldn’t get amd again but after this nvidia shit show we’ve been dealing with I might give amd my money
AMD is not the only one with issues, at least for me. My 1080Ti TR system rig has had more black screens in one month then my 5700 XT had over a year (not many in this case). Plus the 1080Ti will not show the bios screen unless I unplug the Display ports and use HDMI, grrrrrr. New 8K DP cable did not help the 1080Ti, most likely the Driver not supporting the Samsung Freesync monitor as well as AMD. Two different monitors, no bios screen using DP. The Freesync monitor (when using VRR) will periodically just blank out and back on. Two monitor setup with a 4K 60hz and a 1440p 144hz. At least Nvidia fixed the moving icons from one monitor to the next with dual displays. Been using both Nvidia and AMD for awhile now, both have pluses and minuses, issues etc. Easy to hate one more than the other, depending how one wakes up in the morning.

Given how AMD handled the Zen3 launch (launched Oct 8th or whatever and availability Nov 5th), I expect something similar to that for RDNA2. However, I don't think the lag will be as long as Zen 3, as they want to cash in on Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales volumes.
I don't think they will announce on the 28th and have cards ready to order the same day.

Given how AMD handled the Zen3 launch (launched Oct 8th or whatever and availability Nov 5th), I expect something similar to that for RDNA2. However, I don't think the lag will be as long as Zen 3, as they want to cash in on Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales volumes.
I don't think they will announce on the 28th and have cards ready to order the same day.

If they don't have them ready soon after announcing them, they're fools. There are people that are ready to buy. I would have bought a 3080 already if they were in stock.

AMD is not the only one with issues, at least for me. My 1080Ti TR system rig has had more black screens in one month then my 5700 XT had over a year (not many in this case). Plus the 1080Ti will not show the bios screen unless I unplug the Display ports and use HDMI, grrrrrr. New 8K DP cable did not help the 1080Ti, most likely the Driver not supporting the Samsung Freesync monitor as well as AMD. Two different monitors, no bios screen using DP. The Freesync monitor (when using VRR) will periodically just blank out and back on. Two monitor setup with a 4K 60hz and a 1440p 144hz. At least Nvidia fixed the moving icons from one monitor to the next with dual displays. Been using both Nvidia and AMD for awhile now, both have pluses and minuses, issues etc. Easy to hate one more than the other, depending how one wakes up in the morning.

I'll second this. I have an old 1060 3GB card in my GF's computer and when it wakes up from sleep it will have half of the screen black. I have no issues with my 5700. This is still in the unfixed problems in the Nvidia release notes, and this card has been out for 5 years.

I can't say I'm too excited. Ever since Lisa Su took the helm they have launched products at roughly what they are worth price / performance wise vs competition. Gone are the days of 4870s or 290s performing well and being drastically cheaper, shaking up the market.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with it, and it makes good business sense. It just isn't overly exciting. Whatever they release we are going to look at it from a price \ performance perspective and say, "yeah, that's about right." Not, "OMG, that's a steal!"

I'm hoping AIBs get samples early enough that they can make decent cooling solutions for the 6000 series. (and that watercooling blocks are available soon after launch)

If it’s close to a 3080 for under $700 I’ll buy one. I need a card bad right now, running a rx580 and it’s awful at 1440p

If it’s close to a 3080 for under $700 I’ll buy one. I need a card bad right now, running a rx580 and it’s awful at 1440p

The problem I have is we have no idea what is actually coming. I've heard as many as 4 different variations of Navi 21, and then there's Navi 22, 23, etc. Maybe we'll be surprised and we'll have cards all up and down the pricing structure, or maybe we'll have 1 or 2 top end cards with others trickling in early next year.

The problem I have is we have no idea what is actually coming. I've heard as many as 4 different variations of Navi 21, and then there's Navi 22, 23, etc. Maybe we'll be surprised and we'll have cards all up and down the pricing structure, or maybe we'll have 1 or 2 top end cards with others trickling in early next year.
Hasnt the trend always been super high end up front and mid and low end later?

Hasnt the trend always been super high end up front and mid and low end later?

Yes, but if Navi 21 is the "high end" and there are 4 different variations of it, what are we going to get on October 28th (or more accurately when they are 1st available)? Mainstream AMD CPUs have been offered the next to highest end first (3900x, 5900x) with the highest end coming later (3950x, 5950x) under Lisa Su. How much is binning going to come into play with availability? Obviously, we aren't going to know these answers right away.

I wouldn't expect RX 5500/5600 replacement cards right away personally. I could see a 5700(XT) replacement along side a higher end card.

I’m willing to buy what’s available first. Either amd comes with a high end card under $800 or I can get another Rtx 3080.

This is my first high end gpu launch and it’s been a disaster. I’ve never had such a hard time giving a company $800 for anything in the past lol.

Guess we’ll see if nvidia delaying the 3070 launch will actually put stock available to buy online on launch day. Hopefully Amd announces cards and says they are available to buy that day. I don’t want to keep waiting

I’m willing to buy what’s available first. Either amd comes with a high end card under $800 or I can get another Rtx 3080.

This is my first high end gpu launch and it’s been a disaster. I’ve never had such a hard time giving a company $800 for anything in the past lol.

Guess we’ll see if nvidia delaying the 3070 launch will actually put stock available to buy online on launch day. Hopefully Amd announces cards and says they are available to buy that day. I don’t want to keep waiting
Not my first rodeo, but I'm in the same boat. Whatever is available is what I'll buy. 3070, 3080, or Navi, I don't really care. Someone take my money.

I'm not in the mood to buy previous gen parts and then sell them later.

Try this
https://hardforum.com/threads/nvidia-releases-firmware-update-for-displayport-1-3-and-1-4.1961918/

(the link in that forum post is dead, here is a good link)
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

And for freesync, try setting resolution scaling in your Nvidia driver, to use the display, rather than the GPU.

Reactions: noko
like this
Not my first rodeo, but I'm in the same boat. Whatever is available is what I'll buy. 3070, 3080, or Navi, I don't really care. Someone take my money.

I'm not in the mood to buy previous gen parts and then sell them later.
I ran a 3080 for a while and at 1440p I’d probably be just fine with a rtx 3070. I want to see some kind of numbers tho. For only being $200 cheaper how much performance difference is there between it and the 3080.

I really hope amd can pull a rabbit out of their hat with big Navi. Having competition is a good thing and the high end Navi card has to beat the 3070 at least in performance and price.

I can't say I'm too excited. Ever since Lisa Su took the helm they have launched products at roughly what they are worth price / performance wise vs competition. Gone are the days of 4870s or 290s performing well and being drastically cheaper, shaking up the market.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with it, and it makes good business sense. It just isn't overly exciting. Whatever they release we are going to look at it from a price \ performance perspective and say, "yeah, that's about right." Not, "OMG, that's a steal!"

With executive compensation contracts these days tied to earnings per share AMD will play the duopoly role with Nvidia but at least there will be a cheaper offering keeping prices lower overall.

That's how I'm looking at this. I'm guessing that the RT part isn't going to be quite up to Nvidia's 3080, but should be comparable in terms of rasterization performance with a lower power draw.

If that's how it shakes out, I'd probably prefer the AMD card for the lower power draw.
There are some reports today that the overall power draw of the AMD cards will be similar to the 3000 series which if true is disappointing

There are some reports today that the overall power draw of the AMD cards will be similar to the 3000 series which if true is disappointing
I don't understand. Performance versus power is going to go up I believe. It is what it is with current process technology.

Why? If it gets you similar or better performance for less price. Why is it so bad? You reduce the power in control panel and save some power and still be happy.

I could care less about the power draw. I want people to be able to order and receive a card some time this year.
Amazon has been horrible lately for stock, I’ll be lucky if my evga notify me email comes before the end of the year and screw Newegg.

And perhaps another way of thinking about it - why wouldn't they if the competitor bumped the "new normal" for performance cards?

Exactly. Unless AMD has a massive efficiency advantage they gain nothing by leaving performance on the table. If they need to match 3080 power in order to match 3080 performance that’s exactly what they should do.

The 6800xt is only 50-55% faster then the 5700xt? If that’s the case this card is gonna have to be a good bit cheaper than the 3080 at launch.

The 6800xt is only 50-55% faster then the 5700xt? If that’s the case this card is gonna have to be a good bit cheaper than the 3080 at launch.
If that's the case, I'm sure it will be? AMD isn't going to sell a drastically lower performing card, for the same money.

The 3 performance numbers shown by AMD being from the 6800xt and not the 6900xt, was only a rumor.

The numbers shown are roughly twice as good as a 5700xt, whatever the card is.

Back