Radeon 6000 series: Disappointing Pricing??

How do you feel about AMD 6000 series announced Launch prices?

• Too high!

Votes: 41 14.4%
  • Just right!

Votes: 159 56.0%
  • They came in cheaper than I expected!

Votes: 50 17.6%
  • Mixed feelings/Confused.

Votes: 34 12.0%

• Total voters
And I suppose the lack of objectivity is tempered by the risk of blowback on AMD if the benchmarks are massaged/over-ly positive. If AMD is going to these lengths to put forward as detailed a benchmark set as this, they must be pretty confident in the cards.
As I said before, saying the regular 6800 (with S.A.M. enabled) beats everything from Nvidia in Forza: That's enough for the community to hang AMD, if its not true.

Interestingly, I'm not seeing any youtube videos attempting to verify AMD's numbers. I mean, yeah, nobody has Zen 3 yet. But some Intel 10 series and Zen 2 content focused on reasonably repeating AMD's numbers with Nvida cards, would get some views from me.

Much cheaper than expected. Especially for the performance.

I expected AMD to maybe match NVidia in prices at best, with slightly lower raster performance. Instead they undercut them by no small margin and offer higher raster performance. It looks damned good from where I'm sitting. If I wasn't locked in to Nvidia, I'd be running to get an AMD card right now.

I didn't riot when they came out with the 1080Ti after I had bought a Titan X Pascal, not even after they came out with the Titan Xp to retake the crown.
I also bought a Titan X Pascal and after the two new cards came out I was not pleased.

I'll be honest I was hoping for at least a $100.00 price difference between the 6800XT and Nvidia 3070 but ill take the small discount. I was on Nvidia camp since my SLI GTX 480 days, finally switch to the 5700XT last year from 1070 SLI setup (gave one of the cards to my nephew build). Looks like I'm going to stick with AMD with a 6800XT if its available within the next decade :rolleyes: o_O

I personally think the 6900xt is overpriced. Literally the same specs as 6800xt except an extra 8 CU translating to an extra 10% for an additional $350. Why the hell is there a 12CU difference between 6800 and 6800XT yet only an $80 difference. Going by the same math then the 6900xt shouldn't cost more than $700 lol. $350 more for 10% more CU's is pathetic.
You're paying for the better silicon, it's "only" got 8 more CU's but under the same 300 watt envelope.

I personally think the 6900xt is overpriced. Literally the same specs as 6800xt except an extra 8 CU translating to an extra 10% for an additional $350. Why the hell is there a 12CU difference between 6800 and 6800XT yet only an $80 difference. Going by the same math then the 6900xt shouldn't cost more than $700 lol. $350 more for 10% more CU's is pathetic.

it's not just 8 cu's

It's a fully functioning die, the likelihood of which is far less than a 72/80 cu die. Yields cost $$$$

I don't see where prices have double so what do you consider proper pricing for them? What are you defining as midrange.
Midrange used to be sub 200. Now midrange is 400+.
1660/2060/5700 are midrange.

Have you been under a rock?

I think mid-range as $200-300. Yes, it is disturbing to see the X060 cards in the $400 range now. I picked up a 5700 for sub-$300 when they were still pretty new. It wasn't a particularly good value at $330+ depending on the AIB variant. Ideally, I would have liked to see the vanilla 1660 sub $200 with the super and Ti versions above that, but it never played out that way.

Oh, someone is talking with their feelings. The 560 and 660 were the last 2 60 series cards that were $199 but even then aib cards were more. The 60 cards haven't even been announced and now they are double the price of that range. Get out of here with that crap. Burgers used to be .05 also with that line of thinking.You set the goal post, the 5700 level isn't that far from 2070 level and had memory parity with the 70 level card.

Last edited:
I think mid-range as $200-300. Yes, it is disturbing to see the X060 cards in the $400 range now. I picked up a 5700 for sub-$300 when they were still pretty new. It wasn't a particularly good value at $330+ depending on the AIB variant. Ideally, I would have liked to see the vanilla 1660 sub $200 with the super and Ti versions above that, but it never played out that way.
I think your looking at it wrong here. 1060gtx and 1660gtx yes midrange cards. Good 1080p cards maybe some even ok 1440p@60hz cards. 3060gtx and 6700 are going to be 1440p even 4k@60hz cards on most current games. 6700 should be beating a 2080, your getting a lot of card for the money. I’ll be picking up a 6800xt maybe even a 6900xt with a water block. Should over double my 5700xt. I have a LG CX48 and it will be a welcome jump in performance.

I think your looking at it wrong here. 1060gtx and 1660gtx yes midrange cards. Good 1080p cards maybe some even ok 1440p@60hz cards. 3060gtx and 6700 are going to be 1440p even 4k@60hz cards on most current games. 6700 should be beating a 2080, your getting a lot of card for the money. I’ll be picking up a 6800xt maybe even a 6900xt with a water block. Should over double my 5700xt. I have a LG CX48 and it will be a welcome jump in performance.

Maybe, but my way of looking at it is not as an enthusiast but as a general consumer. Most people who aren't enthusiasts are buying value pre-built gaming computers with a mix of mid-range parts. This demographic isn't going to spend more than $900 to $1,200 generally speaking. This is why things like the steam hardware survey show such low range parts as the majority of cards in use.

I would also expect newer cards to be more powerful, but I get what you are saying about the increase in resolution.

Maybe, but my way of looking at it is not as an enthusiast but as a general consumer. Most people who aren't enthusiasts are buying value pre-built gaming computers with a mix of mid-range parts. This demographic isn't going to spend more than $900 to $1,200 generally speaking. This is why things like the steam hardware survey show such low range parts as the majority of cards in use.

I would also expect newer cards to be more powerful, but I get what you are saying about the increase in resolution.
I understand and see no flaw in that line of thought. I had periods where I bought for myself the better value prebuilt of high level performance because how boring tech was for a while. The launch of Zen broke me out of it along with being teased by people around me about building for everyone else but buying off the shelf. Most users on this forum don't speak for the wallets that the companies treasure. There will be cards under $300 that will give a nice jump in performance with raytracing from both sides and those will take up way more shelf space.

I think I want a 6900XT, but I'm not sure if the extra $350 is worth it just for 8 more CU. I think I'm going to shoot for a 6800XT until Dec 8th. If I get one before then, then I probably will just stick with it. But if I can't get my hands on one before the 6900XT launches then I'll shift my priority to the 6900XT.

Anybody have an idear when we might see pre-orders go up?

I'm gunning for a 6800 XT.

I'm more disappointed in waiting for an all white card from either camp. That Galax 3080/3090 doesn't count because the cheesy quote on the side lol.

I really want to go 6900XT but honestly at this point i'm so sick of waiting i'm about to throw cash at whichever side comes out with a decent looking white card first.

I'm more disappointed in waiting for an all white card from either camp. That Galax 3080/3090 doesn't count because the cheesy quote on the side lol.

I really want to go 6900XT but honestly at this point i'm so sick of waiting i'm about to throw cash at whichever side comes out with a decent looking white card first.
I’m getting a 6800XT or 6900XT, whichever one I can get first. The difference between the two cards is only 8 CUs while still charging $350 more.

Both have the same guaranteed clock speeds, VRAM bandwidth, VRAM capacity, and power draw. I don’t see the performance difference between the two being too drastic. Probably 10% or less just like between the 3080 and 3090 that these cards compete against.

Last edited:
I was hoping they would bring a disruptive 4k card in at under $500 usd, but AMD no longer wants the value hunters. They're gunning for premium products at premium prices across their portfolio. Honestly I'd just be happy if I can buy one on launch day.

I was hoping they would bring a disruptive 4k card in at under $500 usd, but AMD no longer wants the value hunters. They're gunning for premium products at premium prices across their portfolio. Honestly I'd just be happy if I can buy one on launch day.

Blame Nvidia for that. They are the market leader so they set the prices. AMD has been pricing relative to their competition for years.

I voted "too high", but that's always my vote. I'm cheap.

"But what about..." Too high
"...yes, but.." Too high
"if you consider...." Too high

I think I want a 6900XT, but I'm not sure if the extra $350 is worth it just for 8 more CU. I think I'm going to shoot for a 6800XT until Dec 8th. If I get one before then, then I probably will just stick with it. But if I can't get my hands on one before the 6900XT launches then I'll shift my priority to the 6900XT.
If you can't get your hands on the 6900XT then I'd just wait for the 3080 Ti which is set to launch in January. It's gonna have 20GB of VRAM and 99% the performance of the 3090. Of course it will likely instantly sell out. But that appears to be the grim reality these days.

I'd like to get my hands on a 6800XT myself but I am feeling that is increasingly unlikely given how even AMD CPUs completely sold out on launch day. GPUs are an even bigger demand item usually. All the people who couldn't buy the 3080 will be looking for these. And AMD has the added threat of miners buying out their cards too!

If you can't get your hands on the 6900XT then I'd just wait for the 3080 Ti which is set to launch in January. It's gonna have 20GB of VRAM and 99% the performance of the 3090. Of course it will likely instantly sell out. But that appears to be the grim reality these days.

I'd like to get my hands on a 6800XT myself but I am feeling that is increasingly unlikely given how even AMD CPUs completely sold out on launch day. GPUs are an even bigger demand item usually. All the people who couldn't buy the 3080 will be looking for these. And AMD has the added threat of miners buying out their cards too!
I’m holding onto a 3090 FE that I actually just bought this afternoon for $1350 from BB after the birthday coupon. That’ll be my backup if a 6900XT will be a PIA to get a hold of.

I’m holding onto a 3090 FE that I actually just bought this afternoon for $1350 from BB after the birthday coupon. That’ll be my backup if a 6900XT will be a PIA to get a hold of.
Did you get your 3090 by stopping by the brick and mortar store or was it an online purchase? Any video card camping stories/strategies to share? Congrats BTW on getting your hands on the best video card in the land. ;)

Did you get your 3090 by stopping by the brick and mortar store or was it an online purchase? Any video card camping stories/strategies to share? Congrats BTW on getting your hands on the best video card in the land. ;)
Nope just got a notification from the Best Buy app (first time ever) and was able to purchase it. Discord notifications are how I usually found out about stock drops before.

Nope just got a notification from the Best Buy app (first time ever) and was able to purchase it. Discord notifications are how I usually found out about stock drops before.
Wow nice! How did you set up the notification? I'm in the app now and I'm trying to set one up for a 3080 FE but it just has the sold out button grayed out. And it says not available in stores, not available for online order.

I would also be interested in having a 6800XT notification set up for best buy so I can just buy up whichever shows up in stock but I don't even see that available to search yet.

if the 5950x availability is any sign, 6900xt will be hard to come by

You're paying for the better silicon, it's "only" got 8 more CU's but under the same 300 watt envelope.
I believe the 6800xt is going to have higher clocks, and the 6900 will be slightly lower clocked due to the additional cu's, bringing them within the 300w mark AMD is targeting.

I believe the 6800xt is going to have higher clocks, and the 6900 will be slightly lower clocked due to the additional cu's, bringing them within the 300w mark AMD is targeting.
Not necessarily. The 6900 will probably have better binned GPUs that run higher clock speeds at lower voltage.

Whats interesting is, before I've only stayed with mainstream cards and never considered above $300 gpus. After all this hyping from both sides, I start to think $600+ cards are ok because they can perform 2x.

god damn marketing.

You can say that again. Now marketing has normalized the idea of $500+ cards being midrange. It's infuriating.

I would have never before considered a card over $600 yet here I am. Sigh.

So the big AMD Radeon announcement has come and gone and now we have official pricing from AMD along with a mixed bag of performance results and a new gimmick/mechanism that requires you to have a 5000 series AMD CPU for max performance??

Let's skip that potential controversy and go to the pricing.

6900XT $999
6800XT $649
6800 $579

AMD bumped up their prices to unprecedent levels, and they are not the GPU performance leaders yet. This price bump is premature.

Prices I would have liked to see:
6900XT $799
6800XT $599
6800 $449

If the prices had come in at what I wanted to see consumers would have had to ask themselves - am I just nutty not to jump on AMD with the savings I could have?
Instead we got the first set of numbers and we find ourselves asking uncomfortable questions such as: why would I pay $79 over the Nvidia alternative on the low end of the tier, why wouldn't I just sit tight and pay andextra 50 bucks for Nvidia drivers that "just work", and do I really want to shell out $1000 for a video card when I can get 90% of the performance for 2/3 the price?

Share your thoughts and feelings about the new AMD RDNA2 launch cards here!!
1977:
Atari 2600 VCS US$199 ($840 adjusted for inflation) Came with two joysticks and a "Combat" cartridge, what you kids today would call a "Gaming Bundle".
No wifi, no streaming services, no Lan Party, 2 players max.
Yet every home had one and those games would cost around $110-$150 apiece today, adjusted for inflation.

The prices are about what I expected. The whole industry is stupid though. The mining boom destroyed it and it never went down again it feels. They realized that if they keep the prices the same, people will keep paying.

Much cheaper than expected. Especially for the performance.

I expected AMD to maybe match NVidia in prices at best, with slightly lower raster performance. Instead they undercut them by no small margin and offer higher raster performance. It looks damned good from where I'm sitting. If I wasn't locked in to Nvidia, I'd be running to get an AMD card right now.

The only "not by a small margin" undercut is the 6900XT. The 6800XT is only a $50 undercut and the 6800 is just sort of in a weird spot in my opinion.

I guess we are just used to the new pricing structure where people are calling this "great"??? It is nice that it is an undercut, but the competition that people hoped would bring prices back down to normal doesn't seem to be the case. Instead it seems people are going gaga over undercuts of overpriced.

So I guess this is the new norm.

This is simply the price people can afford to pay. There is even more room for AMD and Nvidia to charge higher prices. They could bump prices 25% and sell out. Scalpers are making money at those prices.

I'd expect prices to continue to increase. On everything.

Not necessarily. The 6900 will probably have better binned GPUs that run higher clock speeds at lower voltage.
if I'm not mistaken multiple sources have put them at slightly lower clocks than the 6800xt.

Master_shake_ Yeah, inflation is a thing.

Zero interest rates actually causes deflation over time because cost of capital is actually going down. Margins on $500 video cards are actually higher than they were 10 years ago, which indicates there's actually localized deflation going on in technology markets. We are also seeing more and more higher price tiers going along with increasing margins at every tier, which means more shareholder profits.

Back