Radeon 6000 series: Disappointing Pricing??

How do you feel about AMD 6000 series announced Launch prices?

• Too high!

Votes: 41 14.4%
  • Just right!

Votes: 159 56.0%
  • They came in cheaper than I expected!

Votes: 50 17.6%
  • Mixed feelings/Confused.

Votes: 34 12.0%

• Total voters
agreed.

My main claim is that Nvidia could sell a turd in a box and it would outsell AMD's best product.
I sometimes wonder how many people Google "best graphics card" see that it's a $1200 (or whatever) Nvidia card, then just buy whatever Nvidia card they can afford. Might have worked for Intel too until recently.

I sometimes wonder how many people Google "best graphics card" see that it's a $1200 (or whatever) Nvidia card, then just buy whatever Nvidia card they can afford. Might have worked for Intel too until recently.

This is EXACTLY how un-educated people make decisions. I work at a B-n-M PC repair and sales shop. Nvidia mystique is real.

I think it’s $50 too high for the general public.

About $200-400 too high for me to buy after my previous AMD experiences.

I’d like to actually see reviews too...

After reading some of you guys' comments, I think the pricing is good.

The 6800 does have more memory and better performance than the 3070 (I thought it was overpriced at first but now, maybe not).

The 6800xt is likely the main seller and being slightly cheaper than the Nvidia counterpart, well priced.

The 6900xt performing at 3090+ levels at 2/3 the price is hard to beat, but at the same time losing 1/3 the ram (24 vs 16) in exchange for slightly better performance (supposedly).

We know Nvidia will hit back with a 20gb 3080ti (since they left the slot open for it), but that will likely be the only top end to hit back before their next gen cards on 7nm or smaller (5nm?). An Ampere Titan RTX would be possible but given that the 3090 is already at $1500, any Ampere Titan would have to be at a price level that 99.9% of gamers will simply ignore anyway.

The other thing I was considering was that the next gen consoles would be AMD based, so games that are cross-platform PC & Console will likely be more optimized for AMD than they have been in the past - so that would be another plus in AMD's favor.

I think it’s $50 too high for the general public.

About $200-400 too high for me to buy after my previous AMD experiences.

I’d like to actually see reviews too...

People will buy what they can actually get their hands on. For the general public most of these cards are priced way too high, need to be in the 300 and under as that is the much bigger share of the market.

Yea, after looking at the graphs more closely and reading the articles today I think I am going to get an AIB 6800XT and pair that with a 5950x. The 6900XT while impressive doesn't offer that much more than an AIB 6800XT while being probably $250-300 more. I think most AIBs will be $700-750.

Im actually hoping for, not for me but my son, a 6500xt range card that has all the rdna2 perks but uses like 100 to 125 watts total board power. It saves me on power bill, heat, complexity, and makes upgrading more affordable.

Im just bent between putting 68000xt in my 3960x or buying q 5800x cpu and putting in that for the extra memory access features.

I hope AMD can use that direct access memory on tr40x. Its a halo chipset, why not right?

Im actually hoping for, not for me but my son, a 6500xt range card that has all the rdna2 perks but uses like 100 to 125 watts total board power. It saves me on power bill, heat, complexity, and makes upgrading more affordable.

Im just bent between putting 68000xt in my 3960x or buying q 5800x cpu and putting in that for the extra memory access features.

I hope AMD can use that direct access memory on tr40x. Its a halo chipset, why not right?
kinda wondering about the upcoming 12gb 3080 Ti card, I like the 2 slot design of the 3080 vice the 2.5 slot of the 6800 XT. Availability as well as price is what is important. If I get one (AMD or Nvidia), I will replace the 2x 1080Ti's in my 3960x rig. Frankly not too much in a hurry anyways, if one becomes readily available I may bite.

Gunning for a 6800 xt - if there's stock, I'm all in at this point. Wouldn't mind a 6900 either. . .

Well I guessed $649 6800XT and $549 ($579 actual) so I guess it was about right except I don't see the point of pricing of RX6800 and XT so close, the XT seems better bang-for-buck. What happened with the cheaper cards tend to offer more bang-for-buck, pretty big difference for small pricing difference. RX6800 XT vs 3080 looks alright, 6900 XT vs 3090 looks great. RX6800 vs 3070 doesn't seem worth the pricing difference, the memory difference doesn't matter if it doesn't translate to actual performance gains in real world which it most likely won't as the VRAM useage is IMO very overrated, that Windows reports close to or above a certain amount of VRAM use, doesn't automatically mean it will show differences in actual benchmark when the VRAM according to what Windows reports is maxed out.

Agreed. The real sore thumb in this lineup is the 6800. It comes in at $79 more than the 3070. Pair that with the fact that most people prefer Nvidia cards, I think this is gonna be a sales loser, where it could have been a winner if they had come in cheaper than Nvidia and just chopped the memory down to match at 8GB. A $449 8GB 6800 would have been far more attractive proposition for consumers. Nobody needs 16GB for 1080p gaming.

Then again... Maybe the 6700XT is the real card to look out for in that bang for buck niche. But right now the 6800 is just an awkward product.

We know Nvidia will hit back with a 20gb 3080ti (since they left the slot open for it), but that will likely be the only top end to hit back before their next gen cards on 7nm or smaller (5nm?). An Ampere Titan RTX would be possible but given that the 3090 is already at $1500, any Ampere Titan would have to be at a price level that 99.9% of gamers will simply ignore anyway.

The other thing I was considering was that the next gen consoles would be AMD based, so games that are cross-platform PC & Console will likely be more optimized for AMD than they have been in the past - so that would be another plus in AMD's favor.

Actually Nvidia officially announced that they are going to cancel the 20GB 3080 part because they realized that it's not going to handily beat the 6800XT. The extra 10GB of RAM doesn't make the video card perform any faster.

I anticipate that the 3080Ti will actually be a cut down 3090 utilizing the 384 bit bus with 12GB of GDDR6X. Basically it will be the in-between model. The 3080Ti would be around 5% faster than the 3080 with 12GB instead of the 10% faster 3090 that has 24GB. The question is pricing as Nvidia is basically using 'failed' 3090s to create these 3080Tis which recycles chips that would otherwise have been scrapped as not good enough. I think if Nvidia prices the 3080Ti at $799 it will sell quite well. But Nvidia likes to price gouge so we will have to wait and see where it actually lands in the pricing spectrum.

What could make the 3080 Ti attractive to me is if Nvidia produced these on 7NM TSMC instead of 8NM Samsung, this would result in less power draw along with increased performance. I am really concerned with the wattage of the 3080. It reminds me of the GTX 480 - egg cooker!!

geforce_gtx_480_meant_to_be_grilled.jpg

I anticipate that the 3080Ti will actually be a cut down 3090 utilizing the 384 bit bus with 12GB of GDDR6X. Basically it will be the in-between model. The 3080Ti would be around 5% faster than the 3080 with 12GB instead of the 10% faster 3090 that has 24GB. The question is pricing as Nvidia is basically using 'failed' 3090s to create these 3080Tis which recycles chips that would otherwise have been scrapped as not good enough. I think if Nvidia prices the 3080Ti at $799 it will sell quite well. But Nvidia likes to price gouge so we will have to wait and see where it actually lands in the pricing spectrum.
That sounds pretty good but I guess good is relative depending upon how well / bad the AMD cards actually benchmark once the reviewers get their hands on them. We know companies will always hype up the stats on their own products at their launch events.

Another unanswered question is how much headroom or overclocking potential does the RNDA2 series have? Ampere card thus far has been virtually nill, even with an extra 100w of power added on. In other words the 6800 if a good OCer could reach 3080 performance, 6800XT 3090 performance and 6900XT pushes beyond the 3090.

The additional ram on the AMD cards are also much more enticing as well.

Actually Nvidia officially announced that they are going to cancel the 20GB 3080 part because they realized that it's not going to handily beat the 6800XT. The extra 10GB of RAM doesn't make the video card perform any faster.

What could make the 3080 Ti attractive to me is if Nvidia produced these on 7NM TSMC instead of 8NM Samsung, this would result in less power draw along with increased performance. I am really concerned with the wattage of the 3080. It reminds me of the GTX 480 - egg cooker!!

View attachment 294223
AMD's cards are also physically smaller as a result. Which is something they definitely pointed out in the second video of their presentation. Lots of people were buying new cases to accommodate Nvidia's new cards. You probably don't have to, with AMD's new stuff.

Another unanswered question is how much headroom or overclocking potential does the RNDA2 series have? Ampere card thus far has been virtually nill, even with an extra 100w of power added on. In other words the 6800 if a good OCer could reach 3080 performance, 6800XT 3090 performance and 6900XT pushes beyond the 3090.

The additional ram on the AMD cards are also much more enticing as well.
some leaks are saying that the higher binned models are hitting up to 2500mhz. AMD's base spec is 2.25

The reason why I'm not planning to get one of these is because I've had poor experience with drivers from AMD/ATI. And NVIDIA shelling out $$$ for so proprietary game tech ("RTX cores" in this case) is reassuring as an NVIDIA owner, and annoying as an AMD owner. It's almost like paying a vig.

The reason why I'm not planning to get one of these is because I've had poor experience with drivers from AMD/ATI. And NVIDIA shelling out $$$ for so proprietary game tech ("RTX cores" in this case) is reassuring as an NVIDIA owner, and annoying as an AMD owner. It's almost like paying a vig.

No idea what you are saying but ok.

I think their prices are pretty solid if the performance is there. No way I'd buy a 3080 or 3070 over the 6800XT. $649 for top tier performance? I can do that. I was already planning on a Zen 3 CPU. They go well together.

I'll buy whatever is the best product in the $500-$700 range. I don't care what brand it is. I've never owned an AMD card. That's pretty much only because Nvidia was always the best performer when I was buying.

The only price that seems bad at the moment is the base 6800, especially if it doesn't knock out the 3070. Also, if their RT performance isn't up to snuff, the discount on the 6800 XT might not seem worth it (why not spend the extra 50 bucks for a better feature set and marginally better performance)? It all depends on the reviews, we'll see.

it will beat the 3070. That is one of the reasons its priced higher. It will be over 10% faster, leaked bench shows in Tomb raider it actually beats the 3070 with RT on. Still its okay to wait for benches, but going by what AMD showed yea its worth the price with double the memory and look at the clocks, if it the power limit is there it could be one hell of a card to overclock and worth over even 6800xt for some. I think that is why nvidia priced it there, they might not might selling all 6800 for now since top dies might be low supply initially.

I think their prices are pretty solid if the performance is there. No way I'd buy a 3080 or 3070 over the 6800XT. $649 for top tier performance? I can do that. I was already planning on a Zen 3 CPU. They go well together.

I'll buy whatever is the best product in the $500-$700 range. I don't care what brand it is. I've never owned an AMD card. That's pretty much only because Nvidia was always the best performer when I was buying.

Same here. I am gonna grab the 6900xt but damn gotta wait another month lol. Good thing I could never find a 3080 or 3090 to pruchase. But i am loving the SMA feature, I mean performance boost for free? I will take that lol. I will settle with the 5950x for now and throw in 6900xt in December. I am not too worried about RT but looking at the leaked bench in Tomb Raider where 6800 beats the 3070. 6900xt with more Ray accelerators might be enough even if its gets only to 3080 ray tracing performance. But my eyes cant tell a difference so won't matter to me haha. Would be nice to see reflections in some games and the lights I guess.

I am really waiting to see how hard these cards can push. If AIB leaks are any indication AMD left a lot of room for clock speeds given these are on 2015 game clock. If they get to 2200+ I will be hapy.

I will never understand why people think AMD cards should be priced at 50% of whatever the equivalent NV card is. If you're so much of a fanboi for Nvidia, that you won't consider AMD unless it's half the price, you have a problem.

Last edited:
Same here. I am gonna grab the 6900xt but damn gotta wait another month lol. Good thing I could never find a 3080 or 3090 to pruchase. But i am loving the SMA feature, I mean performance boost for free? I will take that lol. I will settle with the 5950x for now and throw in 6900xt in December. I am not too worried about RT but looking at the leaked bench in Tomb Raider where 6800 beats the 3070. 6900xt with more Ray accelerators might be enough even if its gets only to 3080 ray tracing performance. But my eyes cant tell a difference so won't matter to me haha. Would be nice to see reflections in some games and the lights I guess.

I am really waiting to see how hard these cards can push. If AIB leaks are any indication AMD left a lot of room for clock speeds given these are on 2015 game clock. If they get to 2200+ I will be hapy.

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to do a 5600x or a 5900x. I hope some reviews start popping up at the beginning of this week. It might come down to buying whatever model is in stock. I hope that's not the case. It doesn't seem as likely with CPUs as it does GPUs.

I wish they'd have launched Zen 3 and Big Navi together on the same day. There could have been combo deals!

it will beat the 3070. That is one of the reasons its priced higher. It will be over 10% faster, leaked bench shows in Tomb raider it actually beats the 3070 with RT on. Still its okay to wait for benches, but going by what AMD showed yea its worth the price with double the memory and look at the clocks, if it the power limit is there it could be one hell of a card to overclock and worth over even 6800xt for some. I think that is why nvidia priced it there, they might not might selling all 6800 for now since top dies might be low supply initially.
Let see, 3080 $699 10gb, now double the memory and 10%-15% faster is the 3090 over the 3080 with over double the price of $1495 (if you can find one at that price). The 6800 is 20%+ faster and double the memory over the 3070 $495 (if you can actually find one at that price) and 6800 is $579 and that is too much. At 1440p and OC, I would not be too surprised if the 6800 ties or beats the 3080 on average for a number of games.

Let see, 3080 $699 10gb, now double the memory and 10%-15% faster is the 3090 over the 3080 with over double the price of $1495 (if you can find one at that price). The 6800 is 20%+ faster and double the memory over the 3070 $495 (if you can actually find one at that price) and 6800 is $579 and that is too much. At 1440p and OC, I would not be too surprised if the 6800 ties or beats the 3080 on average for a number of games.

I agree. I won't be surprised if there is a 12GB 6700xt that is trading blows with 3070 for 479.99 or 449.99 and you will find 6800 get down to 549.99 by Q1 on sale or what not. if it OCs well its really going to be a hot seller vs 3070.

If you think these are getting high wait till AMD performance eclipses Nvidia.

Last time I checked the 3070 is $499 and the 6800 is $579. Aren't these the facts? How do you call it a win?

Agreed. The real sore thumb in this lineup is the 6800. It comes in at $79 more than the 3070. Pair that with the fact that most people prefer Nvidia cards, I think this is gonna be a sales loser, where it could have been a winner if they had come in cheaper than Nvidia and just chopped the memory down to match at 8GB. A $449 8GB 6800 would have been far more attractive proposition for consumers. Nobody needs 16GB for 1080p gaming.

Then again... Maybe the 6700XT is the real card to look out for in that bang for buck niche. But right now the 6800 is just an awkward product.
It out guns the 3070 in everything, why should it be cheaper? You get 15% more performance for about 15% more cost... add to that double the RAM and $80 increase doesn't seem to bad. How much does extra would you pay for a 16gb 3070? An extra $100?

View attachment 294223
i wish people would stop mis uses the phrase price gouging.
from findlaw:
When retailers take advantage of these spikes in demand (often coupled with supply bottlenecks) by charging exorbitant prices for necessities, it's referred to as "price gouging."

Video cards are not necessities. things are priced what the market will bear. the only people responsible for the price of a non necessity is the consumer.

It out guns the 3070 in everything, why should it be cheaper? You get 15% more performance for about 15% more cost... add to that double the RAM and $80 increase doesn't seem to bad. How much does extra would you pay for a 16gb 3070? An extra $100?

15% more cost for 15% more performance and missing consistent drivers and a billion features.

Most people are calling it a win since AMD even has a card matching one metric lol.

As far as we can tell anyways - AMD has blantantly lied in the past multiple times.

And Nvidia hasn't? lol.

Need we talk about the GTX 970 fiasco?

Irrelevant since we’re not using peformance numbers from nVidia on the 3xxx series. AMD should release the indepenent reviewers.

I am not debating which company is ethically better than the other - they are both terrible - but based on historical deltas between AMD and reality the real reviews would have the 6800 on par with the 3070.

It’s unforunate the [H] reviews are all gone.. they used to call out AMD on their nonsense all the time.

Last edited:
Irrelevant since we’re not using peformance numbers from nVidia on the 3xxx series. AMD should release the indepenent reviewers.
That will come, I expect them to be better than AMD's numbers when OC, something that Nvidia forgot was a thing with Ampere. 2.5ghz AIB cards where that Infinity Cache will scale 1:1 will probably give these cards way better performance % wise when OC. => 2.5/2.25 = 11% greater, add another 10% on top of AMD numbers in other words.

I am not debating which company is ethically better than the other - they are both terrible - but based on historical deltas between AMD and reality the real reviews would have the 6800 on par with the 3070.

It’s unforunate the [H] reviews are all gone.. they used to call out AMD on their nonsense all the time.
Sounds like you already have your mind made up.

15% more cost for 15% more performance and missing consistent drivers and a billion features.

Most people are calling it a win since AMD even has a card matching one metric lol.

As far as we can tell anyways - AMD has blantantly lied in the past multiple times.
So it's got feature parity, is faster and has twice the ram... Yet you believe it should be sold cheaper.... sure, keep drinking the green koolaid. We won't know the full story until they are actually released, but so far all leaks have been consistent with AMD presentations. I understand the sour feelings because while Raja was in charge of RTG he was into lying to build hype, which let everyone down multiple times. Now that he's gone we've been getting more clear expectations that align with leaks we've been seeing. Anyways, not to big a point in arguing since we really don't knows but I'm going to go out on a limb and say if AMD priced the 6800 > 3070, it's because it outperforms it in most if not all metrics. If it was 50/50 it'd be priced the same or slightly lower as AMD has done in the past. They probably priced the 6800xt slightly lower than 3080 due to slightly slower RT performance, so it makes sense even if it wins raster and can even keep pace with the 3090 in some instances.

You know no one is stopping you from just paying more and getting less performance. Also what did AMD blatantly lie about?

Pricing seems good...if compared to Nvidia. By itself, it's too high.

The 6900XT is only $1000 because a $1500 3090 exists and we previously had $1000 Titans and then $1200 2080 Ti. Since the consumer base has gotten used to these things, a $1000 card looks like a "win".

Similarly if the $699 3080 is considered overpriced, then a mere $50 undercut remains in overpriced territory.

At $579, the 6800 is just weird.

I am overall very positive about the RX 6000 announcement and expect to get one for my next build, but I would have rather seen prices like this:
  • $699-$799 - 6900XT
  • $599 - 6800XT
  • $499 - $529 - 6800
  • $399 - $429 - 6700XT (future)
That would be an actual return to sane pricing. As it is now, current RX 6000 pricing is just playing off of Nvidia high prices. Makes sense from a business standpoint for sure, but as a consumer, not really happy about it.

If you think these are getting high wait till AMD performance eclipses Nvidia.
I believe it just did and the prices are less than Nvidia's.

AMD's cards are also physically smaller as a result. Which is something they definitely pointed out in the second video of their presentation. Lots of people were buying new cases to accommodate Nvidia's new cards. You probably don't have to, with AMD's new stuff.

some leaks are saying that the higher binned models are hitting up to 2500mhz. AMD's base spec is 2.25

New cases and PSU's cause of nvidia's much higher power draw. Won't have to do that either due to AMD's lower power draw.

Last edited:
I believe it just did and the prices are less than Nvidia's.
I think they trade, and I am pretty nvidia is going to dominate in Ray Tracing. Now when AMD has a card that can actually beat Nivida, you damn right AMD will raise the price. why wouldn't they?

You know no one is stopping you from just paying more and getting less performance. Also what did AMD blatantly lie about?

Fury X performance, dual RX480s being better and cheaper than a GTX 1080. Both of which [H] called them out on. Just two that come to mind.

After AMD screwed people on the Fury X (performance claims, ignoring pump issues/deleting customer’s posts) I only loosely follow them tbh. Mainly look at independent reviews.

Given a lot of that was Raja era so I could be over reacting. I just find it strange they are doing extensive testing... why not just let the reviewers publish their testing...

Back