Radeon 6000 series: Disappointing Pricing??

How do you feel about AMD 6000 series announced Launch prices?

• Too high!

Votes: 41 14.4%
  • Just right!

Votes: 159 56.0%
  • They came in cheaper than I expected!

Votes: 50 17.6%
  • Mixed feelings/Confused.

Votes: 34 12.0%

• Total voters
10% price premium for 15-20% performance increase. Price for performance is good.

I agree the lack of a $500 sku is an issue. Might be enough to convince me to go 3070 even though the 6800 seems worth the 79 more

It really depends on whether or not you need (or think you need) more memory. If anything, maybe they should have released a 8GB version of the card for $479 just to stick it to Nvidia.

I'm happy with pricing - sure I'd appreciate lower pricing (who wouldn't) but it's right where I was *hoping* to spend. With what I sold my 2080S and a couple of mITX hardware, I'm able to buy a new high-refresh 1440p monitor and a RX 6800 XT without a substantial loss.

If it is to be believed that at $699, the FE is too low of margins for Nvidia, I find it impossible to believe that the 3080Ti would "only" be $799 with double the memory and likely TSMC silicon. My bet would be $999 all day.

Yes, apparently the OEM cooler is VERY costly to produce. If Nvidia does do a 3080ti I think AMD has more room to play with in terms of margins but IDK.

Yes, apparently the OEM cooler is VERY costly to produce. If Nvidia does do a 3080ti I think AMD has more room to play with in terms of margins but IDK.

By all accounts, it is severely over-engineered as evidenced by the fact that just about any AIB has a comparable performance with a normal heatpipe/3 fans design.

It really depends on whether or not you need (or think you need) more memory. If anything, maybe they should have released a 8GB version of the card for $479 just to stick it to Nvidia.
Or AMD hasn't announced the 67xx cards yet which will directly compete with the 37xx cards from nVidia. It may be a really off the wall thought but probably worth a few seconds of thought.

To be honest I feel they could have came out cheaper if they could. Cost possibly has gone up due to the pandemic so they priced it as competitive as they possibly could under the circumstances.

I think there will be a 6700 card with 8gb of vram coming out around $399 or $449 to go up against 3070. I hope they are waiting for nvidia to do their typical "got ya!" card release of a 3070ti or 3080ti and drop the 6700 the next day. Fight fire with fire.

Well, considering current nVidia card quantity is null and only scalpers are left, these prices are fantastic, provided the same thing doesn't happen to them. I am going to save and get either the 6800XT or 6900XT. I should have enough for the 6800XT on release day and it may work out that it can be OCed well. The lower TDP means some headroom for OC and, being it has the same die, minus, what, 8cus and 16Gb GDDR6? This means that it will come real close to the 6900XT with some proper OC/TLC. Price is right, hope supply is well off. Have a 2070 Super now, so, will be huge uplift in performance.

Master_shake_ Yeah, inflation is a thing.
A top end 499 GTX 580 from 2010 in 2020 is now 595 dollars.

A top end 980ti in 2015 was 650 in 2020 that's 713.00

A top end 1080ti in 2017 was 700 hundred in 2020 that's 743 dollars.

So no i don't think it's inflation

TBH I think it was the mining that caused them to rise to the price they are at today.

NVIDIA and AMD both saw people would bear the price of them even with the retailer markup.

It's a scary world when 650 is considered the sweet spot for gpus.

Scary indeed.

350-400 is the sweet spot for a GPU imho.

Most cards that come out in the price range can easily do 1080p max settings or 1440p mid range settings.

If you want higher end gaming $650-700 is the price point you are looking at.

A top end 499 GTX 580 from 2010 in 2020 is now 595 dollars.

A top end 980ti in 2015 was 650 in 2020 that's 713.00

A top end 1080ti in 2017 was 700 hundred in 2020 that's 743 dollars.

So no i don't think it's inflation

TBH I think it was the mining that caused them to rise to the price they are at today.

NVIDIA and AMD both saw people would bear the price of them even with the retailer markup.

There were still titans for both the 980ti and 1080ti. The 3090/6900xt is titan class.

There are a few Gsync monitors that support freesync, but the manufacturers of them have not made it official. I know the AW3420DW can and I believe the 38GL950G can as well. Needless to say, I had no idea this would be the case when I originally purchased my AW3420DW.

More info - https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/freesync-working-on-g-sync-monitors-since-when.261025/
https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/gl3suy/reminder_nvidia_is_in_the_process_of_adding_vesa/
The AW3420DW is the one I just bought last week.

If it is to be believed that at $699, the FE is too low of margins for Nvidia, I find it impossible to believe that the 3080Ti would "only" be $799 with double the memory and likely TSMC silicon. My bet would be $999 all day.

Oh, I'd agree with that.

my opinion:

I blame most of the higher prices on nvidia and people who kept buying nvidia gpus no matter what.
there was an article a month or two ago, where nvidia had around 80% of the discreet market share, so they can keep nudging up the prices and people will still go along with it.
So what are AMD's options? Price less than the competition? They did that many times in the past and people still bought nvidia cards. I don't know how much of the market is for 1k+ cards, but it will be interesting to see how much swing back to AMD with their $999 card vs $1500

I wonder if AMD could offer bundles with a discount. Like say if you bought an AMD processor + video card you would get a discount. Or cpu + gpu + motherboard an get a larger discount. I think microcenter does something similar

my opinion:

I blame most of the higher prices on nvidia and people who kept buying nvidia gpus no matter what.
there was an article a month or two ago, where nvidia had around 80% of the discreet market share, so they can keep nudging up the prices and people will still go along with it.
So what are AMD's options? Price less than the competition? They did that many times in the past and people still bought nvidia cards. I don't know how much of the market is for 1k+ cards, but it will be interesting to see how much swing back to AMD with their $999 card vs $1500

I wonder if AMD could offer bundles with a discount. Like say if you bought an AMD processor + video card you would get a discount. Or cpu + gpu + motherboard an get a larger discount. I think microcenter does something similar
Alternatively, it's AMD's fault, because for years they didn't have a competitive card and that allowed Nvidia to set their own prices 🤪

Thankfully we did see a pullback in prices this year. Likely due to AMD having a competitive product, as well as the new consoles launching at $400-500.

The 6800 XT is priced right where it should be. In the end, the extra 6GB of VRAM is going to make about as much of a difference as better ray tracing support - both will enable some visual perks (higher res textures vs better lighting effects), neither will be a huge deal breaker. Certainly there will be the odd game that will demand the extra 6GB, and the odd game that that looks much better with RTX on, but I'd expect the user experience to be about the same on both sides. If you use pro apps, there is a clear winner - Maya and KeyShot users ought to go with the RTX, and Resolve users should buy the Radeon. If you only game, it's likely going to come down to street prices, promos, drivers, and personal preference to break the effective tie.

The 6900 XT is meme levels of expensive, I don't realistically see why anyone would pay an extra $350 for 10% extra performance and nothing else. The 3090 is incredibly expensive because its 24GB of VRAM enables pro applications that don't run on the 3080; the 6900 XT doesn't have that extra VRAM so you are way better off with a pair of vanilla 6800's if you really care about throughput. Its existence is also a little concerning from a technology standpoint; it means that TSMC 7nm yields are not great.

The vanilla 6800 is the odd one out. The extra $79 over the 3070 is unfortunately a large issue at this price point; it also puts it a little too close to the 6800 XT for comfort. As a gamer, I'd almost certainly buy the 6800 XT or the 3080 instead, because the performance difference means the difference between 1440p and 4K. It's not a bad deal per se, since it looks like it will outperform the 3070 and has twice the VRAM, but on the other hand, I doubt its fast enough to truly take advantage of its 16GB of memory. If nothing else, it greatly lowers the barrier to entry to a 16GB card, and finally obsolesces the Radeon VII (at least when Mac drivers show up).

The 6900 XT is also just a starting offer of sorts. A competitively priced 12GB 3080 Ti will invariably trigger a price cut to the 6900XT, so in that sense people have a lot of incentive to wait.

My real problem with all of this, I don't have a monitor that's worth using these cards with. And I really don't want anything that costs less than like 3k as my monitor, so I'm kind of just waiting for display technology to catch up a bit. I'm not sure I value the idea of going from one 1440p monitor to another with a higher refresh rate, I'm not a competitive gamer. I really just want 32 inch 4k 144hz with some decent HDR, but that's too much to ask for right now. Honestly, my TV will serve me better for now, I might just grab a PS 5 for a year and come back next year when monitors might not be trash or super expensive.

The 6900 XT is also just a starting offer of sorts. A competitively priced 12GB 3080 Ti will invariably trigger a price cut to the 6900XT, so in that sense people have a lot of incentive to wait.
Where is this Ti supposed to fit? There's a 10% difference between 3080 and 3090. The only thing I can see getting better would be the memory but the 6800 and XT variant already have more.

Where is this Ti supposed to fit? There's a 10% difference between 3080 and 3090. The only thing I can see getting better would be the memory but the 6800 and XT variant already have more.

It just needs to beat the 6900XT in benchmarks with a lower price (say $899) and that will trigger a price cut on the 6900 XT.

It just needs to beat the 6900XT in benchmarks with a lower price (say $899) and that will trigger a price cut on the 6900 XT.
If they beat the 6900XT then they beat the 3090. So people would be buying the 3090 and spending an additional $800 just for a memory upgrade. That doesn't sound too enticing. Although it wouldn't surprise me if it happened.

As I sit in the EVGA 3080 queue I will consider AMD 6800 XT only if:
Raytracing performance is decent.
Waiting on actual review do not trust AMD's slides to see what FPS looks like max and min.
Some guarantee of DLSS implementation they have a route dependent on console adaptation with some propriety super sampling mumbo jumbo. Yet to been seen.

As I sit in the EVGA 3080 queue I will consider AMD 6800 XT only if:
Raytracing performance is decent.
Waiting on actual review do not trust AMD's slides to see what FPS looks like max and min.
Some guarantee of DLSS implementation they have a route dependent on console adaptation with some propriety super sampling mumbo jumbo. Yet to been seen.

Basing decisions on features that are barely utilized. Makes no sense. I'm more sympathetic to people who just come out and say they like Nvidia or AMD better.

RTX and DLSS work well in Watch Dog Legion. I hope more games do the same.

Can't wait to hear how AMD runs the game. Won't have DLSS but will have RT ability.

Far as prices go I think they are at the right level. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the competition does in response.

Last edited:
You really feel that AMD is priced right? What video card are you buying from this lineup? What card do you feel offers the best performance to price ratio?

6800xt is a good price. Id like to have seen 599.99 but its ok. Its potetially faster than 3080 at 50 bucks less = win

I dont think the 6900xt is worth the 350 price increase to add a few more Compute Units but no ram increase. Those are some seriously expensive CUs at that increase.

Alternatively, it's AMD's fault, because for years they didn't have a competitive card and that allowed Nvidia to set their own prices 🤪

Thankfully we did see a pullback in prices this year. Likely due to AMD having a competitive product, as well as the new consoles launching at $400-500.
Not true. You can take many cards over the years where AMD had equal or better performance. Just a couple off the top of my head: 1050ti vs rx 570. The rx 570 soundly beat the 1050ti but steam hardware survey gave the 1050ti a vastly higher user % than the 570. Same with the rx 580 vs1060, equal to in performance, the 1060 had a much higher user %. You can see this trend in other cards/models. the 5700 vs 2060 etc. Currently the 2060 is sitting at 3% vs 0.27%

Not true. You can take many cards over the years where AMD had equal or better performance. Just a couple off the top of my head: 1050ti vs rx 570. The rx 570 soundly beat the 1050ti but steam hardware survey gave the 1050ti a vastly higher user % than the 570.
The rx 570 released 6 months after the 1050Ti and cost over 20% more.
Same with the rx 580 vs1060, equal to in performance, the 1060 had a much higher user %. You can see this trend in other cards/models. the 5700 vs 2060 etc. Currently the 2060 is sitting at 3% vs 0.27%
rx 580 released 8 months later and also cost more.

AMD was well behind Nvidia with their releases and charged more.

Were they a little better than the Nvidia cards? Probably, but you had to pay extra for it. Not exactly a value proposition that would help keep prices down.

Thinking specifically of the 1080Ti, 2080, 2080S, 2080Ti...AMD didn't really have anything that could compete with those cards and that has to be part of why Nvidia priced them so high. Now that AMD has some good cards on the horizon, Nvidia brought the price down on 30XX series relative to 20XX.

AMD has raised prices on their CPUs because Intel can't keep up. They're doing exactly what Nvidia did with their GPU pricing when AMD didn't have a competitive product in that sector. Should people stop buying AMD CPUs? I still want one.

Last edited:
6800xt is a good price. Id like to have seen 599.99 but its ok. Its potetially faster than 3080 at 50 bucks less = win

I dont think the 6900xt is worth the 350 price increase to add a few more Compute Units but no ram increase. Those are some seriously expensive CUs at that increase.
Yea, after looking at the graphs more closely and reading the articles today I think I am going to get an AIB 6800XT and pair that with a 5950x. The 6900XT while impressive doesn't offer that much more than an AIB 6800XT while being probably $250-300 more. I think most AIBs will be $700-750.

Well I guessed $649 6800XT and $549 ($579 actual) so I guess it was about right except I don't see the point of pricing of RX6800 and XT so close, the XT seems better bang-for-buck. What happened with the cheaper cards tend to offer more bang-for-buck, pretty big difference for small pricing difference. RX6800 XT vs 3080 looks alright, 6900 XT vs 3090 looks great. RX6800 vs 3070 doesn't seem worth the pricing difference, the memory difference doesn't matter if it doesn't translate to actual performance gains in real world which it most likely won't as the VRAM useage is IMO very overrated, that Windows reports close to or above a certain amount of VRAM use, doesn't automatically mean it will show differences in actual benchmark when the VRAM according to what Windows reports is maxed out.

The pricing is fine, not everything has to be an amazing deal. Doesn't all have to scale perfectly linear with performance.

I get that kids have no money, but these are all high end cards and given the current competitions' pricing this is about as good as one could hope for.

If I could find ANY 60xx or 30xx in stock I'd be a happy camper... well I might chicken out on $1500 for a 3090 if I had the chance :O

Well I guessed $649 6800XT and $549 ($579 actual) so I guess it was about right except I don't see the point of pricing of RX6800 and XT so close, the XT seems better bang-for-buck. What happened with the cheaper cards tend to offer more bang-for-buck, pretty big difference for small pricing difference.

I think the problem is that the 5700 XT and 5700 were too close so they put a little more of a gap between the 6800XT and 6800.

The rx 570 released 6 months after the 1050Ti and cost over 20% more.

rx 580 released 8 months later and also cost more.

AMD was well behind Nvidia with their releases and charged more.

Were they a little better than the Nvidia cards? Probably, but you had to pay extra for it. Not exactly a value proposition that would help keep prices down.

Thinking specifically of the 1080Ti, 2080, 2080S, 2080Ti...AMD didn't really have anything that could compete with those cards and that has to be part of why Nvidia priced them so high. Now that AMD has some good cards on the horizon, Nvidia brought the price down on 30XX series relative to 20XX.

AMD has raised prices on their CPUs because Intel can't keep up. They're doing exactly what Nvidia did with their GPU pricing when AMD didn't have a competitive product in that sector. Should people stop buying AMD CPUs? I still want one.

First off, not true on the price account: The RX 570 has been cheaper than the 1050Ti for the majority of its life.

Also the 1650 released after the 570 (by literally years), costs more, AND is slower. but look at the steam hardware survey results:

1604007815596.png

Unfortunately, your points do not hold water.

First off, not true on the price account: The RX 570 has been cheaper than the 1050Ti for the majority of its life.

Also the 1650 released after the 570 (by literally years), costs more, AND is slower. but look at the steam hardware survey results:

Unfortunately, your points do not hold water.
I think we're talking about different cards. The post I was replying to referenced the 1050Ti and 1060. I don't know where you got 1650 from.

Are people really trying to argue AMD has been competitive in the GPU segment for the last few years?

I think we're talking about different cards. The post I was replying to referenced the 1050Ti and 1060. I don't know where you got 1650 from.

Are people really trying to argue AMD has been competitive in the GPU segment for the last few years?
You mentioned that the 1050Ti outsold the RX 570 because it was 1) Cheaper and 2) sooner to market.

I illustrated with the 1650, which is neither of those things, yet still outsells the RX570.

I illustrated with the 1650, which is neither of those things, yet still outsells the RX570.
Maybe the Steam survey isn't too accurate? User Bench shows the 570 outselling the 1650, but I'd take both with a grain of salt.

You have a good case that AMD has been competitive in the lower end of the market. They haven't been in the mid and upper tiers however, and I think that's where a lot of the price increases have happened.

Maybe the Steam survey isn't too accurate? User Bench shows the 570 outselling the 1650, but I'd take both with a grain of salt.

You have a good case that AMD has been competitive in the lower end of the market. They haven't been in the mid and upper tiers however, and I think that's where a lot of the price increases have happened.
agreed.

My main claim is that Nvidia could sell a turd in a box and it would outsell AMD's best product.

Back