Radeon 5450 resolution keeps reverting to 720x480!

Deathwish238

Limp Gawd
This is driving me nuts. I have a freshly installed Windows XP on a system that is serving as my HTPC.

Sapphire Radeon 5450 using HDMI to a 42" Panasonic 720p Plasma
Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
2GB DDR RAM
120GB HDD

I typically set the resolution to 1280x720. If I open XBMC, as soon as I close it the resolution will revert to 720x480. If I restart the computer, the resolution will revert to 720x480.

I have tried the latest 3 drivers from AMD and am trying some older ones now just to see if they'll work versions 10.12 and 9.12.

How can I make the resolution stop reverting?

Not sure what I would look for? The Panasonic handles 720p and 1080p fine, it's Windows XP itself that seems to be doing the reverting.

10.12 and 9.12 drivers didn't help, going back to 11.12.

If you change the resolution and then restart without ever running XBMC does it stick?

Off-hand I'd say it's an XBMC problem since it happens right away when you run that program.

If I set the resolution and then reboot without opening XBMC it will revert to 720x480 upon booting. It's not an XBMC problem, but XBMC must trigger the same event that reverts the resolution.

720x480 is a DVD resolution, might want to look into any XBMC settings that autodetect or scale to dvd and try and change them. Maybe look in the drivers for "digital flat panel /HDTV support " and force 720p or make a monitor profile for it if there isn't one already.

I cannot go to Display Settings to change the resolution. I have to use the Catalyst Control Panel to set the resolution about above 720x480. Perhaps this is where the issue is. The settings seem to be temporary.

XBMC will automatically set the resolution to whatever my desktop resolution is when I go into it. Everything is forced to be scaled up to that resolution.

Yesterday I just used Media Player Classic and Netflix through Chrome. Rebooted this morning and I'm back at 720x480.

Make sure you are not missing any Windows XP service packs or updates. I seem to recall their being some windows hotfix for an issue very similiar to this, where the system will basically not retain the resolution settings.

Nope, I just don't shutdown the computer. Put it to sleep instead so I don't have to deal with the resolution issue.

Back