Radeon 4870 X2: Flickering Issues?

CKTurbo128

Gawd
Hi everyone!

I just picked up a Radeon 4870 X2 recently and have been enjoying the huge performance boost on several games. However, I've been noticing some minor flickering bugs in a few games like Oblivion on the Radeon 4870 X2 under Vista x64.

For example, in Oblivion, the background behind the inventory menu screens flicker with either black bars, or an image of a previously loaded area. Enabling v-sync does not fix the problem. Strangely, the problem goes away when CrossFire mode is disabled (via disabling Catalyst AI). The problem is present in both Catalyst 8.8 and the beta 8.53-080820 Catalyst drivers.

I did notice that the problem never occurs if the PC has not been placed into sleep state previously. However, the problem always props up when the PC is woken from sleep state.

Is anyone else encountering a similar problem?

There is another thread about Crossfire flickering but I'm not sure it addresses the issue you speak of. There seem to be a couple of different crossfire flicker problems and I think that people are getting them confused with one another.

Yep, I've read through those threads, but none of them seem to be related to the issues I'm seeing.

I've also noticed that AA (via the control panel) no longer works in a few games after a system has previously been in a sleep state. Both problems go away after a system restart (and if the system is not put to sleep).

As I put my system to sleep often, it's very annoying to have to restart to be able to use the 4870 X2 to the max. I'm hoping that ATI is already aware of this problem and will fix it in the next Catalyst set.

my 4850 acts strange after sleep state also.

my resolution goes all the way down from 1920x1200 to 800x600 and I can force it back up but that shouldnt be happening ;/

I am seeing more and more of these threads and I think I created one of my own a while back. Hopefully AMD/ATI gets some better drivers out soon. I would imagine the next release will fix a lot of issues... and possibly create some new ones :)

Same here. Bad flickering in Day of Defeat:Source. If I jack the AA and AF all the way up, it goes away sort of (sometimes) but some textures in the game are transparent. I know how these maps look normally and I can tell the texture beneath is missing I am just seeing the transparent part on top. If I reboot it might go away until the PC has gone into standby. After that it will go back to doing the same thing. I am running the 8.9 Betas from the ~400meg install that was linked in another thread here.

I think I tried disabling Catalyst A.I. and that did not change anything. Will try that again. BTW, DoD:Source is the only game where I see this. ET:QW, Bioshock, Wolf:ET, Doom3, Stalker, and a couple of others are all fine. But any Halflife 2 based game will do this. Portal does as well.

Forgot to mention that if I play in windowed mode at any resolution (Standard is 1680x1050) it goes away. But, FPS is locked at 60 and well it just plain sucks to play in windowed mode.

In any case, I've submitted a Catalyst Feedback Report about this issue, along with a link to this thread. I hope the problem will be fixed in Catalyst 8.9, which should be coming pretty soon...

you have some high end hardware judging from your SIG but how is your PSU? I recommend the PC power cooling ones for the single voltage rails. Corsair has similar.

I have the Corsair HX1000W PSU which should be more than sufficient for my PC power requirements.

Anyhow, I've installed the latest Catalyst 8.9 drivers, but the problem is still present. :(

Here are the exact steps to reproduce this problem:

1. Set BIOS Sleep mode set to S3 Resume/Standby.
2. On Windows Vista 32/64-Bit, put the PC into sleep mode.
3. Wake the PC from sleep mode.
4. Run TES IV: Oblivion.
5. In the game, open up the inventory. The background behind the inventory flickers.

If anyone has Vista, Oblivion and the Radeon HD 4870 X2, try this out and see if you run into the same problems.

it is way past time for someone to open a poll: do you have flicker with the 4870X2?

I was misleaded to believe that my flicker is a rare problem that happens with a minority of people...
SIUYA!

If we (the ones with MASSIVE flickering) do not make a major noise how will the ATI driver team solve the issue?

Back