Radeon 4850! Giving the GTS a run for it's money. $199 shipped [buy.com]

Don't sign up for every random credit card, it lowers your credit score.

Don't sign up for every random credit card, it lowers your credit score.

Every financial person I've heard discuss this issue say that having lots of unused credit looks good and improves your credit score. All of them say you should never EVER cancel a credit card. Put it in a safe and don't use them, but don't cancel them.

It's a strange world we live in (I've always thought what you wrote makes more sense).

Every financial person I've heard discuss this issue say that having lots of unused credit looks good and improves your credit score. All of them say you should never EVER cancel a credit card. Put it in a safe and don't use them, but don't cancel them.

It's a strange world we live in (I've always thought what you wrote makes more sense).

Correct.

I've got a number of accounts I signed up for solely to enjoy promotional benefits. Used them for a few dollars (literally) worth of purchases, paid them off, and cut up the cards.

Keeping them open and having them remain in good standing has definitely helped my score.

Not entirely correct.

When you first establish a new line of credit, your score does drop by a few points. After a few months it returns or goes up depending on your behavior with that line of credit.

Just having credit cards does nothing outright for your credit score. Having that much credit IS however looked at when you go to buy a home. Depending on how badly (or not) you leverage your credit risk, can get you a yea or nay on a mortgage.

Now having those cards, and periodically using them, and paying them off, does wonders for your credit.

My score is currently a 780 after dropping all the way down to the 500 range right after college.

In the short term, seeing a lot of revolving accounts on one's credit history can effect the credit score and hence the ability to get lower interest rates on purchases. But I do agree if we keep our accounts in good standing over a long period of time and ideally don't go over 40% of the credit limit, that certainly improves the credit score.
But the problem with Capital One and Chase credit cards is that they give a very small credit limit initially which results in the consumption of the overall credit limit pretty easily. That is why I am always reluctant to sign-up for credit cards from dubious credit agencies.

I think I got lucky with Chase. Because my Chase/Amazon card was my first CC and I was given a $2000 limit immediately. And after two months I put in a request for an increase to 3k and got it.

Too much credit can be a bad thing. When I purchased my house I had to close old credit accounts and get my credit card companies to lower my available credit. Over the years they had been upping my credit limit and I had gotten up to ~$30,000 of available credit. Just doing this raised my credit score 100 points.

In for 1!! And 3 Credit Cards!

love how these turn into credit discussions once that promotion is brought up....

Good price on the 4850's. And people, there is is this green stuff called "cash". Save up for your purchases. Don't live your life in debt.

That is understandable as lack of proper credit management is having a deteriorating effect on the US society in general.

love how these turn into credit discussions once that promotion is brought up....

Ordered with 2-day shipping, now just missing a VelociRaptor and my build will be complete! Bwahahahaha! :D

Ordered with 2-day shipping, now just missing a VelociRaptor and my build will be complete! Bwahahahaha! :D

Don't make me beat you up. Cause you know I can't.

Why do these awesome deals come when I don't have the $$ in my freakin' account! Damnit!!!

Oh I'm really trying not to bite on this.

I don't know how this will perform with the other cards in the same price range. BUT I NEED A GRAPHICS CARD to play my video games.

I was going to go nvidia after getting tired of ATI and their faulty fans causing my game to artifact, but this is starting to change my mind.

Why would anyone buy this at full msrp before the reviews are out? Wait at least a month until all the new ATI / Nvidia stuff is out and then pick up the best deal. If you wait a few weeks I'm sure you'll be able to get a sweet overclocked 4850 with aftermarket cooling for $150-180. If you really desperately need a card right now just pick up the best oc'ed 8800GT deal...

Plus who wants a visiontek? Wait for an XFX (double lifetime warranty - if you resell it your card the warranty transfers) or eVga card (90 day trade-up & warranty still good if you swap coolers).

Why would anyone buy this at full msrp before the reviews are out? Wait at least a month until all the new ATI / Nvidia stuff is out and then pick up the best deal. If you wait a few weeks I'm sure you'll be able to get a sweet overclocked 4850 with aftermarket cooling for $150-180. If you really desperately need a card right now just pick up the best oc'ed 8800GT deal...

Plus who wants a visiontek? Wait for an XFX (double lifetime warranty - if you resell it your card the warranty transfers) or eVga card (90 day trade-up & warranty still good if you swap coolers).

The last time something 'powerful' came out it was jacked up $100 (*cough* 8800GT).

Oh, and why would they want an XFX or eVga when THEY ONLY SELL NVIDIA CARDS!

Buy.com

Yuck.

Card isn't even out yet, so I have a feeling that the people ordering are gonna be waiting for a while.

Hope not though, good luck!

Buy.com

Yuck.

Card isn't even out yet, so I have a feeling that the people ordering are gonna be waiting for a while.

Hope not though, good luck!

mine were sent to warehouse immeditely and are in shipping process now :D

UPDATE

my cards shipped, 389 for the pair and they will be here wednesday, so poo on all the naysayers.

UPDATE

my cards shipped, 389 for the pair and they will be here wednesday, so poo on all the naysayers.
dude, you're gonna have your cards before the reviews are posted. You're going to be a legend if you post pics/benchmarks/etc in the video card forum :)

sorry i dont post at OCF anymore.

my cards will be here today actually, buy.com is awesome sometimes. ordered on the 16th delivered on the 17th... nice.

I got work all week and a x38 I got on the cheap coming on the 18th so I wont be doing much till the weekend.

Back