Rackmount Digital Audio Workstation

Originally posted by FLECOM
email notifications doint work... neither do pm popups and search most of the time...

So I noticed... here are my super late replies

=P

Originally posted by Futzy
VERY nice Electrolife! It's great to see the detail included in your post. I was curious how quiet those fans were going to be for studio use. You answered all the questions nicely. (Darn noisey PC's!!).

Big thumbs up!!

They're pretty quiet... however I have 3 machines now so things are as quiet as they were. I'm hoping to install one of these in the future:

http://www.acoustilock.com/ACL-SF.html

Video Demo Link

Originally posted by JohnnyNuke
I just read through the entire worklog, and I must say, WOW.

IT looks like a great setup, very similar to what I've been wanting to do for a while.

GJ!

-JN

Thanks... good to know someone actually read all that =)

Originally posted by KMan13
what are the cdroms at the top of the rack for?

Since all my machines are Rackmount its easier to have external CD-ROMs rather than open the face of each machine. I could locate the machines in another room if I wanted and still have close access. There is a Sony DRU-500A and Lite-ON DVD-ROM which are just for my graphics workstation... used mostly for some small DVD Video production and system backups... they are IDE converted to 1394/Firewire.

The other two ROMs are a Plextor Plexwriter and Ultraplex which I use with the Audio machine.

The large Sony unit below is a well known drive in some audio circles but not anywhere else. Its the CDW-900E... coveted by mastering studios and anyone doing PMCD work. The units were made around 1991-1993 and sold for about $10k each. They are esentially the best CD Recorders ever built. It only writes at 1 or 2X and has the lowest BLER and Jitter rates of most anything on the market. You see them pop up on eBay every once in a while but other than that they are pretty hard to find.

Back