Rack Mountable Hardware Firewall

COKE CAN

Limp Gawd
Looking for a good hardware firewall. I have a rack, so I would like to be able to mount it. Looking for something I could find off ebay for cheap. Any suggestions? This will be for home/personal use.

If you don't want to spend an arm and a leg on something like a Cisco ASA, you can find and old x86 1U server on eBay and use a Linux firewall distro like Endian or IPCop. If you really want to make it small and use little power, you could use a MiniITX board in a 1U case.

I am having such a time right now with Endian Community and IPCop it's not even funny...

Is this for business or personal use? Are you having issues with the installation of Endian and IPCOP or are you having problems configuring? If it is the latter, I really don't think moving to a different brand, make, or model will help you out very much because they all use the same principals to setup a network. Also Endian and IPCOP are really much, much more easy to setup for a beginner as compared to a lot of the big company firewall appliances out there IMO.

If you are dead set on getting a rack firewall appliance be prepared to spend some cash. They are not cheap. You might find something on ebay, I don't know.

The most economical solution is to use a free Linux firewall distro and get you a cheap 1U chassis off ebay. There is nothing wrong with using Linux for a firewall appliance seeming that damn near a lot of the big manufacturers of enterprise grade firewall appliances are Linux based OSs. Our firewall appliances where I work are Fortinets and they are based on Linux. All of South Korea is protected by Fortinet appliances. They have a 50 and 60 model of their firewall appliances for around 400 dollars and that includes I think about 60 days worth of free access to their updated virus, spam, IDS, and web filter definitions.

There are some folks on here that have a lot of experience with Endian and IPcop so I know that any issue you may have with the setup can be solved right here on these boards. I use Clarkconnect myself and I have also used Smoothwall, PFsense, and Coyote Linux. I recommend Clarkconnect and could help with any questions you may have about them.

shaft said:
endian also sells a rack mountable version of their distro
The company I work for got a reseller license from Endian. They appliances are not cheap. The cheapest 1U is over $1000. For that price, most people will go with a known name like Cisco. The community version is great, but from what I've seen, the enterprise version isn't worth the price.

I picked up a GTA Gnatbox 1200R on eBay for fifty bucks. It's an older model of theirs but it is a true hardware firewall and retailed for close to two grand. I know GTA makes rackmount ones, some of the Cisco PIX models are, Symantec VelociRaptors are also. Or like the others said, find a rackmount case or even an old rackmount server and load a free Linux based firewall up. Does not need to be very fast, at all, for the amount of traffic you will be sending through it.

Try this search on eBay...

http://search-desc.ebay.com/search/...&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1&fsoo=1&fgtp=

MorfiusX said:
The company I work for got a reseller license from Endian. They appliances are not cheap. The cheapest 1U is over $1000. For that price, most people will go with a known name like Cisco. The community version is great, but from what I've seen, the enterprise version isn't worth the price.
That's good to know, I was actually considering looking into it. I love my Endian box which is on a Compaq Deskpro EN SFF right now, but was interested in a rackmount solution. It sits on a shelf in my rack where my DSL modem and wireless access point right now, so it actually sits well. :)

MorfiusX said:

I was pondering that for a while. They have a management package you can use, to connect to all your clients Endian boxes and manage them all from your office...have you seen that?

Back