Rack mount UPS for small home network

Yippee38

2[H]4U
I'm in the process of planning my first small network rack for our home network. I'm looking to get a 12", 6U unit. All I'm going to put into it is the switch, a patch panel (both 24 ports, but won't need nearly that many), and a shelf for my cable modem and router/WAP. I'll likely put a Rapsberry Pi, OTA TV decoder, and my VOIP box (Ooma) on it too. I'd like to get a rack mounted UPS, but the only ones I'm finding cost more than everything else that will be in the rack put together, times 2 or 3.

Are there any home network style UPSs that are worth a damn for me meager needs? Why are rack mounted UPS so damn expensive?

Check eBay ect you can find ups needing new batteries for a good price.

Also rockmount ups tend to be a little better built then tower type

What the budget?
Well, I wasn't planning on spending $300. My UPSs around the house are all under $200, and some below $100.

Is there a better way to do this? I can get a non-rack mount pure sine wave 1Kva UPS for under $200. Maybe I should get one of those, and just stack it on a shelf. That kinda defeats the purpose of the rack though.

Well, I wasn't planning on spending $300. My UPSs around the house are all under $200, and some below $100.

Is there a better way to do this? I can get a non-rack mount pure sine wave 1Kva UPS for under $200. Maybe I should get one of those, and just stack it on a shelf. That kinda defeats the purpose of the rack though.
Those aren't the same quality as a true rack mount (even when sine wave), but will do the job you need at the price point you want.

Those aren't the same quality as a true rack mount (even when sine wave), but will do the job you need at the price point you want.
Thanks for the info. I'm not running a business or anything, so it's nothing super critical.

Thanks for the info. I'm not running a business or anything, so it's nothing super critical.
in the long run you pay more with a cheaper ups...They all seem to kill the batteries faster then a good rackmount one for some reason and most have little of no control over things like battery cheeks ect

in the long run you pay more with a cheaper ups...They all seem to kill the batteries faster then a good rackmount one for some reason and most have little of no control over things like battery cheeks ect
Yep, the good rackmount one I have has outlasted everything else on the network. Solid warranty too.

Back