Race to 1 Million!!!

Hmm, just need a bit more push to squeeze by T4rd, may have to give in and run a vm on my q6600 for this! I can't keep it up for long though, my chip idles as hot as my gpus load :(

Hmm, just need a bit more push to squeeze by T4rd, may have to give in and run a vm on my q6600 for this! I can't keep it up for long though, my chip idles as hot as my gpus load :(

Something is wrong, then.

If you are using the stock intel cooler, did you correctly push all 4pins in?

It takes a bit of oomph... more then I would like, but a bit nonetheless.

The 4pins must not be freely rotatable in their "locked" position.

The load temps should be around 60C, tops. ("normal" load) Idle depends on your case, but nekkid is about 30-40C.

Something is wrong, then.

If you are using the stock intel cooler, did you correctly push all 4pins in?

It takes a bit of oomph... more then I would like, but a bit nonetheless.

The 4pins must not be freely rotatable in their "locked" position.

The load temps should be around 60C, tops. ("normal" load) Idle depends on your case, but nekkid is about 30-40C.

Judging by the description of his rig from his sig, I kinda doubt that it is an incorrect installation issue. ;)

But I agree whole heartedly on how hard you have to push those 4 push pins on the stock Intel heatsinks to install them correctly. They got a newer style out that came with a batch of Q9505 cpus I recently got in that is even harder to push down now.

Last edited:
noooo.jpg

I've got me a really toasty q6600. I guess I should of detailed my cooling a bit more, since I'm on water :p The gpus load at 45c, idle around 38c, both have full cover blocks on them. The cpu idles around 45c, using a tjmax of 100c, as noone could ever figure out the true value, so I play it safe. It's lapped, which did help temps, but even at stock with the stock cooler for testing it ran quite hot so I think the cores make poor contact with the IHS. I've redone the loop and mounting a few times, and haven't noticed it getting any better or worse since I take my time. I always figured my 260s would be adequate for folding, and are a lot easier to manage vs vms for the cpu. Also I've noticed the cpu draws a lot more power than the 260s do, especially in the watts/ppd area when I watch the pull on my UPS soar. Here's a pic of this year old beast, sadly my paint job isn't standing up so well:

I've got me a really toasty q6600. I guess I should of detailed my cooling a bit more, since I'm on water :p The gpus load at 45c, idle around 38c, both have full cover blocks on them. The cpu idles around 45c, using a tjmax of 100c, as noone could ever figure out the true value, so I play it safe. It's lapped, which did help temps, but even at stock with the stock cooler for testing it ran quite hot so I think the cores make poor contact with the IHS. I've redone the loop and mounting a few times, and haven't noticed it getting any better or worse since I take my time. I always figured my 260s would be adequate for folding, and are a lot easier to manage vs vms for the cpu. Also I've noticed the cpu draws a lot more power than the 260s do, especially in the watts/ppd area when I watch the pull on my UPS soar. Here's a pic of this year old beast, sadly my paint job isn't standing up so well:

use realtemp.. the tjmax is setup correctly on there.. if im not mistaken its 95C.. and being as its a core 2 you can pretty much ignore the idle temps because they are wrong for the most part.. only temp that matters on core 2's is the full load temp..

Yeah 95 is more sane, but o well. Give me a windows smp client that doesn't suck and I'll be more worried (as then I'll fold on the cpu regularly :p) Games don't max this cpu and rendering doesn't get it as hot as folding does, which I seem to recall being around 65c so it's a bit too toasty for my tastes.

*edit* Or I'm an idiot and winsmp is pegging my cores at an average of 56c, hottest at 58c (using 95c tjmax). The system is pulling 700 watts from the ups now, I'll let it run for a bit and see what kind of ppd I get. My damn mosfet cooling gets so amazingly hot, really wish i had water cooled those now as they scare me... *edit again* only 2100ppd with winfah, screw that, too risky. gpus will have to do.

Last edited:
Yeah 95 is more sane, but o well. Give me a windows smp client that doesn't suck and I'll be more worried (as then I'll fold on the cpu regularly :p) Games don't max this cpu and rendering doesn't get it as hot as folding does, which I seem to recall being around 65c so it's a bit too toasty for my tastes.

*edit* Or I'm an idiot and winsmp is pegging my cores at an average of 56c, hottest at 58c (using 95c tjmax). The system is pulling 700 watts from the ups now, I'll let it run for a bit and see what kind of ppd I get. My damn mosfet cooling gets so amazingly hot, really wish i had water cooled those now as they scare me...

just direct a fan toward the mosfets.. turn the back fan around so its pushing air over them.. since your running water cooling you can pretty much direct the fans where ever you want.. with your water cooling setup id bet putting the mosfets under water would of overloaded the loop.. just get some air running over them and you should be fine..

65C isnt hot at all.. the q6600 could run at 85C 24/7 and keep doing that for years..

the winsmp client sucks.. they are coming out with a new winsmp2 client soon which should make the performance match the notfred SMP client..

Running typical competition fashion - down about 1500 ppd. thats with the addition of a laptop, so I was hoping to be up 1500 ppd. Thats going to allow Arnemetis to mowme that much quicker - what can I add.....nothing soon enough ahhhh.

Well yesterday one of my 260s clients died in an odd way....looked like it was producing, fahmon didnt report a problem, but it was frozen just turning in timered checkpoints when I finally checked the log. As a result, that card didn't turn in much yesterday so my production was down about 5000. Most of today was 1888s too, but now I'm pulling all 353's at 24.5k :D

Guess we found a way to slow down Tigerbiten and Lassiterb- no points posted for four updates!!

Slows us all down :( Sure we will get some nice spikes, but it just means their spikes will be all the larger! :eek:

Come on Tigerbiten, step it up, don't make this easy for me. :D

(will probably end up regretting those words) :)

Last edited:
Come on Tigerbiten, step it up, don't make this easy for me. :D

(will probably end up regretting those words) :)

I'm pulling ~3.5 kWh @ £0.088 per kWh to power the farm as it is.
I cannot afford to power more hardware.

Luck ........... :D

I'm not finishing last. Just got my 4 88GT machine online with one of the new Athlon II quad cores. Getting about 19Kppd out of the box. Woot.

Hitting up 2 more VM's today, hopeing to add another 3K to my PPD.

:( 12 boxen down today :(

If I don't get them back up today, it could be all over for me.

We had two power outages yesterday :( Really mucked things up for me. My 900va ups needs a new battery, again. Almost back to normal production, with that day of 0s gone by now.

I was down yesterday for a bit also....some reboots, heavy processing requirements elsewhere (needing to close F@h) etc. No fun.

Oh well at least the last day or so sounds like a glitchy big bottle of failsauce anyway so I guess I didn't miss anything. :eek:

No matter what murphy's law throws at you, keep in mind that it's happening to everyone out there. Don't lose hope just yet!

Inevitably I have had some fairly warm days out this last week which really sucks for folding as I refuse to run the AC in November so I have had to turn off a couple of clients off and on this last week:(

I've been going strong at around 30k PPD for the last week or so. It's been funny to see my PPD drop (along with everyone else's) though because of Standford's server error. I can't wait to see my jump from all the points it's still missing, lol.

ive seen some peoples PPD go down while others its gone up.. so i have no clue whats going on with F@H servers.. at this point my guess is no ones getting the points for the WU's they have been returning.. but who knows..

ive seen some peoples PPD go down while others its gone up.. so i have no clue whats going on with F@H servers.. at this point my guess is no ones getting the points for the WU's they have been returning.. but who knows..

I haven't seen any of my missing points yet. My increase in PPD is coming from the quad 88GT rig I just started up Thursday.

Ditto here. It's tough to tell exactly where the points I've been getting the past day have come from, but they aren't anything I couldn't do on a normal day...

There's no way I've been credited for my missing work yet. Just back to my usual 22k. I should see a day with 50k production to make up for what I missed.

SO CLOSE!!! looks like las is gonna win, but tiger may pull a big update and steal the deal!!

Thats just wrong.... took 10 days for Tig or las to make 1 mil..... lol!

I finally am getting close to 10K PPD territory, 100 days for 1 mil.

Back