R9 prices coming down?

Megalomaniac

2[H]4U
Haven't been following the trends too much, but anyone know why the R9 suddenly fell in price?

Also, between the Asus, Sapphire and XFX, any suggestions on which card to get?
The NV 780s are a bit too rich for my liking still, but i do need a quite card, and both the Sapphire Tri-X and XFX Double Dissipation seem good (Asus, so so).

Thanks.

Haven't been following the trends too much, but anyone know why the R9 suddenly fell in price?

Also, between the Asus, Sapphire and XFX, any suggestions on which card to get?
The NV 780s are a bit too rich for my liking still, but i do need a quite card, and both the Sapphire Tri-X and XFX Double Dissipation seem good (Asus, so so).

Thanks.

Basically, mining with AMD cards is no longer profitable. Miners are liquidating their cards, and the supply of new cards is no longer being bought the second it hits shelves.

You can get a 290 around $200 reference and non-reference around $280 on eBay right now.
290x's range from $300-$450 depending on model.

I'm fishing for a 290 non-reference around $250, probably will get it in the next couple of days.

Seems silly looking at the FS threads asking almost double for that, LOL!

Yeah,there's some used R9 290 cards for $270 if you look in FS/FT. 290x used prices are around $400 iirc.

I didn't realize reference 290's on ebay were $200!
wow!

You can get a 290 around $200 reference and non-reference around $280 on eBay right now.

I'm fishing for a 290 non-reference around $250, probably will get it in the next couple of days.

Seems silly looking at the FS threads asking almost double for that, LOL!

Proud owner here,so proud I sold all my Nvidia 780Ti cards.AMD is just better at the moment.

Prices have been artificially inflated due to mining. Mining has dropped off so there are going to be used cards out there where the miners are getting out. This drops the retail price first, which drops the used prices too.

New prices are still too high IMO. $300 for 290's and $400 for 290X's new would be more in line.

Basically, mining with AMD cards is no longer profitable. Miners are liquidating their cards, and the supply of new cards is no longer being bought the second it hits shelves.

Yup, notice on ebay 7xxx series are no longer 350-400

They are down to 150 which is enticing me to crossfire

Yup, notice on ebay 7xxx series are no longer 350-400

They are down to 150 which is enticing me to crossfire

Tri 7970x = CF 290 performance wise
Price is about the same for either setup, so I would dump the 7970 and get a cheap 290 or the CF setup.

I suspect things becoming even cheaper when Summer heat is in full swing and miners see their electricity costs skyrocket.

Tri 7970x = CF 290 performance wise
Price is about the same for either setup, so I would dump the 7970 and get a cheap 290 or the CF setup.

I suspect things becoming even cheaper when Summer heat is in full swing and miners see their electricity costs skyrocket.

7950 bro

But I don't reallyneed it, all I play now is RO2 and from what I gather crossfire don't work in that game. Plus im broke Id rather spend my money on women then be able to crank of AA :D

Retail prices have started to drop. They are not fully down to where they should be yet. I went ahead and bought a new 290x. The first component of the new rig I'm going to build this month or next.

7950 bro

But I don't reallyneed it, all I play now is RO2 and from what I gather crossfire don't work in that game. Plus im broke Id rather spend my money on women then be able to crank of AA :D

But with women you need to be smooth, and with AA your computer is being smooth for you :D

But with women you need to be smooth, and with AA your computer is being smooth for you :D

That's what SMAA is for Im fine with that. :)

As for the women part, the tricky part is when A) They are taken already so smoothness doesn't matter B) If they are paris Hilton types that use and abuse you despite your smoothness and caretaking.

Remember Charlie Sheens quote

Personally I took his advice to heart and don't want or am not looking for another "Relationship"

Not quite true.

Yes, people are liquidating, but it is because profits are not as good as they once were.

Still profitable though.

Now is definitely a great time to pickup a used 290 or 290x for sure, but a ref 290 for $200 is definitely not the norm - at least not now. Just look at the recent completed auctions (not buy it now listings) on ebay for an accurate estimate of what the current market value is. Looks like the card values in the used market have made a steep decline in the past 3 weeks.

The market is slightly deflated due to the influx in supply severely outweighing the demand. That said, once all the miners' 290 and 290x cards have been sold off and the supply is again at equilibrium, I think prices will actually rise a little in the used market.

Last edited:
That said, once all the miners' 290 and 290x cards have been sold off and the supply is again at equilibrium, I think prices will actually rise a little in the used market.

In the meantime though, if the used market reduces demand for new cards enough (which it could) then we might see a reduction of prices at retail. One can only hope.

Now is definitely a great time to pickup a used 290 or 290x for sure, but a ref 290 for $200 is definitely not the norm - at least not now.

Errr...how about yesterday?

Or you can buy a new non-reference Gigabyte 290 at the egg for $360 ($380 with promo code minus $20 MIR). I almost got one of those in eBay for $250, it ended at $260, kicking myself for being a cheap bastard.

That's a matter of opinion. And judging by the amount of AMD cards for sale, you are of a minority opinion.

WTF?

Profit is not based on opinion :rolleyes:

And what percentage of total miners are selling off cards? Oh you don't that number?
Because the network difficulty keeps rising. Which means more computing power keeps being added. Not just to scrypt, but also to scrypt-n, x11, etc.

But don't let reality get in the way of opinions and btc hate.

Scored one for 230 thanx to whoever the seller was. Now I need a cooler.

;Grats on the crazy deal man. I thought I scored big a month ago when I got one for $310 just after the mining bubble busted and the offload started. Gamers are now reaping the rewards of the mining craze! :)

I just picked up an unregistered xfx 290 for $280 shipped/insured. Not a smoking deal like $230, but still a good bit better than msrp, and I was able to register the card in my name.

Not the best deal as well, but I just picked up the Windforce 290 with the Gold Games deal for $365 shipped from Tiger Direct. Once my Discover cash back of 5% kicks in, net cost is $346.65 for a brand new card and 3 games.

Got this in my e-mail today:
2014-05-15_18-57-02.png

Snagged a Sapphire 290 Tri-x OC from Amazon for $369. Not sure if it was a fluke, or maybe prices are getting ready to drop even more?

Snagged a Sapphire 290 Tri-x OC from Amazon for $369. Not sure if it was a fluke, or maybe prices are getting ready to drop even more?
Definitely not a fluke. The Tri-X was also on sale for the same price on Tigerdirect, but is back up to $439.

However, the R9-290 and R9-290X are actually back or close to their MSRP again. Sales of AMD cards have slowed back down and inventory has gone back up.

The Sapphire Tri-X 290 or 290x is the best cooler IMO. It's quiet and dissipates the most heat.

the vapor-x is a smidge better, as the standard tri-x doesnt have the vapor chamber.

I just bougth a Gigabyte ref 290 on ebay for $243 at auction and sold my GTX 680 2gb for $220. The 290 is really fast in BF4 which is was i primarily play. I noticed a an upgrade in performance there.

I just bougth a Gigabyte ref 290 on ebay for $243 at auction and sold my GTX 680 2gb for $220. The 290 is really fast in BF4 which is was i primarily play. I noticed a an upgrade in performance there.

Was thinking of buying one of those 290s selling for 230~250. I mean is it really worthwhile over my 7970? I mean with the 7970 prices now, I could probably get like 150 after fees max.

I don't know about the 7970 because i believe those ended up being slighlty faster than the GTX 680 and had 3gb of ram on them. I did it feel like an upgrade going from GTX 680 to 290 in BF4. I just installed a gelid icy vision rev2 on the 290 and began tinkering with the clock settings and getting even more performance. Can you run Mantle on a 7970? What games are you into? those would be the questions that would need to be answered to see if its worth it for you? you may want to get a 290x instead?

I don't know about the 7970 because i believe those ended up being slighlty faster than the GTX 680 and had 3gb of ram on them. I did it feel like an upgrade going from GTX 680 to 290 in BF4. I just installed a gelid icy vision rev2 on the 290 and began tinkering with the clock settings and getting even more performance. Can you run Mantle on a 7970? What games are you into? those would be the questions that would need to be answered to see if its worth it for you? you may want to get a 290x instead?

Primarily BF4, while still playing Skyrim and will someday finish Crysis 3 :). I'm probably going to lean against it since I'm not playing at the super high resolutions, but it really is tempting with people offloading them for so cheap now.

Back