R9 fury strix with a 500W psu ???

xmadror

Gawd
I got myself a new 1080ti (havent received it yet :() and I wanted to give my card to my sister which has received my older parts recently. I was gonna skip the 1080ti because I tough the price was gonna be higher but I could not resist. So at that time I ordered for her a 500W psu along with a rx 480.

I was gonna give her my r9 fury strix (air) and resell her rx480 but then I tough that her psu might be too weak.

The rig consist of a 3570k oc'ed at 4.2ghz (~1.115V if i remember correctly) with 16gb ddr3 2400, asrock z77 extreme 4, 1 ssd with 2 hdd powered a evga 500W 80+ psu (100-W1-0500-KR) which has a 40 amp 12V rail.
The fury would not be oc'ed (very poor oc on it anyway) from I've read it should work but the psu would be pretty much at its limit.

What do you guys think ?

Capture.jpg

The fury draws nearly twice the power and 500w most likely wont cut it. Does she game or have the need for a fury?

The fury draws nearly twice the power and 500w most likely wont cut it. Does she game or have the need for a fury?
Gaming is the main purpose, right now its rise of the tomb raider and probably witcher 3 next.
The rx 480 is doing a pretty good job with an older 27" 1200p lcd monitor. I just wanted to give her the fury since is a better card and it's probably not gonna sell for much anyway.
She has also shown interest in my 34" ultra wide since I may make a move for a 40" 2160p screen soon and the rx 480 would have a harder time at 3440*1440.

If you want to gift her your Fury get a better PSU and she'll be set for a while.

it might work but its will be really close to maxing out the psu. best to up it to at least a 600w to be safe, especially with OCing.

The [H] review system hit 367 W (total system power) at full load for the ASUS Strix Fury. Depending on how good the PSU is it may only be pushing out 400 W efficiently which is pretty close to the max rating of the total system power used (depending on your system, of course).

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/07/10/asus_strix_r9_fury_dc3_video_card_review/8

Didn't knew [H] did a review on my exact card. Seems like it might be doable on 500W after all. A 3770k @ 4.8 would also draw more power then a 3570k @ 4.2.
Power seems to be measured at the wall so the actual output would be slightly lower (by 10-15% ??). 367 x 0.9 = 330W which seems reasonable for a 40Ax12V=480W psu.
It would be a load just under 70%.

1436520543zZMsl7GpwE_2_1.gif

Power and Temp

We tested the power utilization at the wall of the entire system. For full load power and temperature testing we used real gaming. The power supply used in testing is a Enermax MaxRevo 1350W. Total system wattage at idle without video card is 86W.

1436520543zZMsl7GpwE_8_1.gif

Anyone else think this is reasonable or is this asking for trouble ?

It's going to come down to how old the PSU is and what kind. Throw it in and see what happens. (y)

EDIT: Stupid phone... I meant to use the thumbs-up icon instead of the thumbs-down. Now that I see it on the big screen... Whoops!

Last edited:
sure try it then. fire it up and then run occt system stress test. if it keeps running it should be ok. if it powers off you need a better psu.

Should be okay. Don't up the voltage on that GPU, though, it's a power-hungry thing.

I received/installed my 1080ti today along with the accelero hydrid III-120 cooler (not installed yet).
I'll probably try to install the fury something next week.

I installed the fury today and after some benchmark and game test its working fine.
I'm going to hold on to the rx480 for ~2 weeks just in case before I put it for sale.

On another note the 1080ti with the accelero hybrid III-120 is pretty awesome, generally around 50C and highest I've seen so far is 54C at 2000+mhz while being nearly silent!

I installed the fury today and after some benchmark and game test its working fine.
I'm going to hold on to the rx480 for ~2 weeks just in case before I put it for sale.

On another note the 1080ti with the accelero hybrid III-120 is pretty awesome, generally around 50C and highest I've seen so far is 54C at 2000+mhz while being nearly silent!

You can also pretty safely undervolt a Fury quite a bit at stock clocks and save a ton of power

I run a lightly oc'd fury @1050mhz and a 3770k @4.5ghz. My pc and monitor are the only things plugged into my UPS and during gaming the ups reports around 460w of usage. The monitor itself uses 75w of power so the whole pc was pulling under 400w of power. I think 500w will be fine if its a decent quality unit.

bad idea for many reasons. never go cheap no the psu ($$, or draw/max) get a more capable psu

Back