R9 295X2 to be on sale at as low as $999

quadfire with just two cards...wow! I'm jelous

do post or create a thread if you see good scaling, what games do you play? will you spring for a freesync monitor?

I usually play BF4, STO, Far Cry and a few other titles. I mainly do content creation on my system, so it def brings in the contracting/side projects.

I won't do a freesync monitor. I am happy with my 4k 32" Dell. I like one big monitor and not three next to each other.

I think the 295x2 might be a bit faster than dual 780s but then it'd also be hotter

Whether it's faster or not would depend mostly on resolution and ventilation and models for the 780's. Dual 780 reference models will throttle badly enough in a typical setup that the 295x2 will beat them pretty handily. Hotter, as in run at higher temps? No. Generate more heat? Sure, because they use more power. You can dump most of that heat out of the case though.

Edit: Just saw where you realized you forgot the AIO. :cool:

So they're £699 here. Its sort of tempting. I'd like to see the Titan 2 but I doubt that'll be very good for the price or performance.

Apparently these are only $999 for a limited time. Any chance that they will stay this price until the end of the month?

^I bet a bunch of people are buying them on the hopes they can flip em, so you should be able to get them for a bit higher then $999 if the sale runs out.

I'd just buy 2x 290 and call it a day. Same performance less cost. That's if I NEEDED an upgrade from the previous gen.

$1000 spent now for current gen is a waste with new gen cards coming out soon.

I'd just buy 2x 290 and call it a day. Same performance less cost. That's if I NEEDED an upgrade from the previous gen.

$1000 spent now for current gen is a waste with new gen cards coming out soon.

How can you get 2 290X for less than $1000? Plus you wont get the much quieter AIO water cooler solution.

He did say 290 (non-x).

Still not sure why people who don't want this card read these threads...

Well I want one, but no special pricing in Canada. (yet?) :(

Make an American friend and ship to him. :)

Yeah, could do that... But not sure of warranty issues and such, and at 1 grand it starts to be an issue... Gonna see I guess my nicely OC'd 280x cf cards still do the job if it doesn't work out.

^ this, nor will it have the same thermal/acoustic performance, but hey, I guess a souped up Civic is the same as a Porsche to some people as long as it goes the same speed :rolleyes:...

How powerful of a power supply would one need to run two 295X2's, an OC'd 5960x, 64GB memory, and a couple SSD's and spinner hard drives?

Just wondering....

Depends on your CPU OC, but I'd recommend 1500W just for the 2x295X2s based on [H]s review:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/04/29/amd_radeon_r9_295x2_crossfire_video_card_review/13

Instead of getting one huge PSU, I usually see guys opt for two PSUs (first for all components + one 295X2, second PSU for the second 295X2 by itself). This is what had to be done in [H]'s review, as the cards exceeded the main PSU's 1350W limits. It's also why I didn't go Quad, because I don't feel like upgrading PSU again until next gen (Trifire scaling seems better for most games anyway, based on comparison tests.

Last edited:
I had created one when I went Trifire back in July. The scaling was really good after upgrading from a set of Titans. The $999 price has me drooling. I can swing it...Can I justify it after spending $2K on my new 5960x, motherboard and Ram?

I think I can. :)

Try this

GamingPC Releases a 4.4Ghz 8 Core Intel I7 5960x Gaming Computer Codenamed “The Beast" with 64 gigs of DDR4 Memory, 9 Terabytes of storage, Quad-SLI Titan Black cards from Nvidia and a custom water cooling system

Try this

GamingPC Releases a 4.4Ghz 8 Core Intel I7 5960x Gaming Computer Codenamed “The Beast" with 64 gigs of DDR4 Memory, 9 Terabytes of storage, Quad-SLI Titan Black cards from Nvidia and a custom water cooling system

Pfft!!!! Compared to that, my system is cheap, lol. I will add 16GB more when ram prices drop as I run some VM's, to where now I am only limited to running two at a time instead of 6. I don't think I will ever need more than 32Gb for the present and not to distant future.

Pfft!!!! Compared to that, my system is cheap, lol. I will add 16GB more when ram prices drop as I run some VM's, to where now I am only limited to running two at a time instead of 6. I don't think I will ever need more than 32Gb for the present and not to distant future.

That system is nuts isn't it lol. They want $11,461 for it!

I won't do a freesync monitor. I am happy with my 4k 32" Dell. I like one big monitor and not three next to each other.

You are confusing Free-Sync with a triple LCD Eyefinity setup brother..FS is AMD's version of Nvidia's G-Sync, and it was recently ratified by VESA as part of the DP 1.2a standard, so actually any GPU company can use it (Nvidia included, although they basically said it would be a cold day in hell before they supported a free open standard vs their closed option)...

How can you get 2 290X for less than $1000? Plus you wont get the much quieter AIO water cooler solution.

I just picked up a 290x for ~460 And this is EU, usually everything is more expensive here.

You can get 2 r9 290 Tri-X for like 330€/each in Italy now, and ~250€/each used (Tri-X, reference go for even lower), and the performance is not far off 2 r9 290x. ;)

You can get 2 r9 290 Tri-X for like 330€/each in Italy now, and ~250€/each used (Tri-X, reference go for even lower), and the performance is not far off 2 r9 290x. ;)
First we must compare in one currency, doing anything else is pointless.

Not far off != same

Also 2 290s will be louder than the 295x2

^ and hotter. Unless you take off fan limit, expect throttling (and when you do take it off, expect an AIRPLANE to take off in your room!)

same amount of heat, it just get rid of it more efficiently

Just because it cools better, doesnt mean there is any less heat.

Those prices would drop down to 600-700 for sure . Also the titan z series also will drop in prices .

I'll take a cheaper 295x2. Let's see where the price will settle.

Well in the UK 295X2 is down to £680 and 970's are between £250-£300 also 980's are £500+
I have a 295X2 in the box for my new build and im still unsure what to do, im not very good with choices. I do wonder what resale valuer a 295X2 will have in 18 months though,

Or get to 970's in SLI and save yourself $340 over a 295x2.

Why get something that is already outdated? New games are already requiring 6GB of VRAM for 1080p Ultra settings. Check out Shadows of Mordor thread in the video card section.

I say wait until Nvidia and AMD release 8GB cards.

Why get something that is already outdated? New games are already requiring 6GB of VRAM for 1080p Ultra settings. Check out Shadows of Mordor thread in the video card section.

That's actually one game. Its always better to wait, in this case a few days to see how well it performs before making blanket statements.

The new Maxwell cards are in no way outdated.

OP. Imo return your 295x2 and, save some cash and get two 970s. Newer cards should hold value better in the long run. If at the point of release on 8Gb 9x0 cards you're Vram limited, sell and upgrade as your cards will still hold great value at the time.

Thats like saying we should all go Nvidia because the new borderland needs Physx to run. It 1 damn bad port (now 2 with watchdogs) and now everyone is screaming more ram!!!

Hmm, people here like to upgrade! Actually finding a reason is a bonus! :D

Very true. This is [H] after all.

It's just the sad part now is people are going to start basing a video card purchase on the amount of ram is has.

Incoming people buying 8gb 750's because it has more ram!

It's just a sad, but very true thing. I would be rich for all the time poeple telling me they need 16gb of system ram to make the games load up quicker.

Thats like saying we should all go Nvidia because the new borderland needs Physx to run. It 1 damn bad port (now 2 with watchdogs) and now everyone is screaming more ram!!!

The Evil Within recommends a minimum of 4GB of VRAM. It is a trend I believe at this point. ;) Full specs are on the front page of Hardocp.

The Evil Within recommends a minimum of 4GB of VRAM. It is a trend I believe at this point. ;) Full specs are on the front page of Hardocp.

LOL sad indeed. Bad ports making people want more memory. O well nothing we can do.

Back