R9 295X2 to be on sale at as low as $999

tumblr_m9fp7bVfJ11qk72exo1_500.gif

star citizen and aliens for free, the AIO water cooler should help the insane temps too

Looks like they dropped the price on the Gigabyte one too. It's only a matter of time.

any thoughts if this will fall further or is 1k the new mark?

so wish i hadn't seen this. this is the gpu i need for my itx build.

Judging from EOL sales on 7990, this is probably as good as it's going to get unless something crazy happens at AMD's marketing department.

290X will continue to fall, but Dual GPU solutions always seem to hold value just because of their rarity.

well i once blew 2k on titans, so this isnt too bad, and it trades blows with 780ti's

thing is I've always had better dual gpu luck with Nvidia..

Really wish those Freesync preview/reviews would hit so I could see if a 295x2 is worthwhile with an eye towards the future...

Unknown-One will still argue that the Titan-Z is a better deal...

Oh god... My 500 dollars. I didn't even get a free ssd or ups...

I should have bought a TitanZ

He has been conspicuously absent lately, not that thats a bad thing.

Wish I didn't have to upgrade my monitors for freesync I just bought a swanky Asus 27

Last edited by a moderator:
Question regarding the AIO cooler on these guys. Where do most people mount that in the case? It seems like the best spot on most cases is the fan just above the expansion slots but it seems in most that would interfere with the motherboard and or CPU cooler.

The other option in most cases would be the front fan slots but this poses the problem of either pushing air in the opposite direction the case was designed for or pre-heating the incoming air into the case.

In cases with top mounted fans if they have enough clearance to the CPU cooler that would work, but it seems if you have a case with enough clearance to the CPU cooler it may be too far from the expansion slot for the tubing.

I just completed my new machine, but carried over my GTX 780 SLI from my old machine. Is there any reason to move to the 295x2? I am gaming on the LG 34UM95.

space, and noise is about the only reason if you already have 780 sli.

I currently have two 7970's. Worth the pop for me instead of waiting for Nvidia?

That would depend on the rest of your setup, the 7970 cards are no slouches. If I can get my hands on a R9 295x2 at this price, I'm upgrading from my 280x CF setup.

I think the 295x2 might be a bit faster than dual 780s but then it'd also be hotter

Now I might just plunk down $999 for another 295X2 and call it a day. :)

quadfire with just two cards...wow! I'm jelous

do post or create a thread if you see good scaling, what games do you play? will you spring for a freesync monitor?

That would depend on the rest of your setup, the 7970 cards are no slouches. If I can get my hands on a R9 295x2 at this price, I'm upgrading from my 280x CF setup.

I have 4790K
12GB RAM
ASUS ROG Hero VII
100 GB SDD

I'm pretty bad when it comes to wanting good performance haha. I'm concerned about supporting the Oculus Rift. Apparently it needs 90fps on a 1440p screen.

If you're worried about it supporting something that hasn't even released yet outside of devkits, then you should probably wait for the product first and work on GPUs afterwards...

^ I just posted that it's not hotter, and in fact is actually much cooler and almost silent. Ah nevermind, I should've known...

gD74xeRnCO-2.png

Last edited:
Hotter with its AIO? Uhhh...

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/04/08/amd_radeon_r9_295x2_video_card_review/12#.VAiofmOXkhk

Also, see last paragraph: "The fan on the video card itself remains near silent. At full-load it cannot be heard. The fan on the radiator also remains near silent at full load."

Now as for power draw, that's another story :D

I spaced the fact that it's got an AIO cooler, I was wrong. I'm seriously eyeing this card for 1440p gaming because I want to max things out and then some.

Last edited by a moderator:
quadfire with just two cards...wow! I'm jelous

do post or create a thread if you see good scaling, what games do you play? will you spring for a freesync monitor?

I had created one when I went Trifire back in July. The scaling was really good after upgrading from a set of Titans. The $999 price has me drooling. I can swing it...Can I justify it after spending $2K on my new 5960x, motherboard and Ram?

I think I can. :)

I had created one when I went Trifire back in July. The scaling was really good after upgrading from a set of Titans. The $999 price has me drooling. I can swing it...Can I justify it after spending $2K on my new 5960x, motherboard and Ram?

I think I can. :)

fuckin A dude, very nice.

I spaced the fact that it's got an AIO cooler, I was wrong. I'm seriously eyeing this card for 1440p gaming because I want to max things out and then some.

Nah man, I was replying to the other dude with my pic after seeing his sig. I know you probably just forgot about the AIO, no worries

i was sorta kidding, i assume its "No trolls" but its just really odd.

^ I just posted that it's not hotter, and in fact is actually much cooler and almost silent. Ah nevermind, I should've known...

gD74xeRnCO-2.png

Was this in reference to what I said regarding "not worth a grand then"? If so, why? I'm certainly not trolling and believed I was asking a valid question. I already own the 780s. If heat and silence is the only reason anyone can give me to spend $1000 on the 295x2 then I feel I would be better served to wait and see if I can get more bang for my buck in a couple of weeks.

Wow at this price I may just pick one up. What type of power supply does this thing need to run?

Back