R9-290X tested by unknown random people Results: "RIP Common Sense"

Speculation is part of the fun, the silence from AMD is telling as this card seems to be a monster.Seems they are actively trying to stop any info leaking out, xtremesystem forum post can be taken as quite an accurate reflection of how this card will perform. Take other leaks with a grain of salt and vote with your wallet. I'm in for one R9-290X as money doesn't matter atm and i can't pair an Nvidia card with my current monitor........

I am planning on getting one but I am personally sick of the soap opera. I am ready for AMD to release the info one way or the other.

seems like certain people don't want to believe that AMD has a card that is potentially this good...so any benchmarks or leaks get dismissed...the XS review seemed legit...Kyle even hinted that the 290X was faster then a Titan in an earlier thread...some Nvidia folks are just in denial...slamming Mantle, slamming the new cards etc...I guess October 15th will be a sad day for some but a good day for most

seems like certain people don't want to believe that AMD has a card that is potentially this good...so any benchmarks or leaks get dismissed...the XS review seemed legit...Kyle even hinted that the 290X was faster then a Titan in an earlier thread...some Nvidia folks are just in denial...slamming Mantle, slamming the new cards etc...I guess October 15th will be a sad day for some but a good day for most

What are you talking about? Lets get this straight now, just go ahead and leave Titan out of the conversation because no one is even talking about Titan since the 780 was released nor should they. I don't think anyone believes that the 290x isn't going to be competitive with the 780, it may even be a few percent faster and I fully expect it to be cheaper than the current 780 so I'm not in denial about anything however you need to keep in mind, AMD is late to the party if they don't exceed 780 performance by 20% or more since Nvidia likely already has a product near ready to release that is even faster. AMD is playing catch-up at this point, not vice versa.

Kyle did not hint that the 290 was faster than the Titan, he clearly said...AMD sez...

AMD is late to the party if they don't exceed 780 performance by 20% or more since Nvidia likely already has a product near ready to release that is even faster. AMD is playing catch-up at this point, not vice versa.

Kyle did not hint that the 290 was faster than the Titan, he clearly said...AMD sez...

you clearly didn't get the hint...Kyle was saying that the 290X was faster but couldn't outright say it because of NDA etc

Nvidia has a new single card ready for release soon?...first I've heard of it...so you're admitting that the 290X will be cheaper and faster but are counting on a new dual GPU card from Nvidia to take back the crown by maybe 10% and call that a win for Nvidia?

you clearly didn't get the hint...Kyle was saying that the 290X was faster but couldn't outright say it because of NDA etc

Nvidia has a new single card ready for release soon?...first I've heard of it...so you're admitting that the 290X will be cheaper and faster but are counting on a new dual GPU card from Nvidia to take back the crown by maybe 10% and call that a win for Nvidia?

He said Nvidia "likely" has a product ready for release. Implying probably that with all the time in between releases, they could have concocted something as a suddent response for the new Radeons. Blah, blah, blah. All I know is that more GPU's at competitive performance levels and prices = more choice for me in the end.

What are you talking about? Lets get this straight now, just go ahead and leave Titan out of the conversation because no one is even talking about Titan since the 780 was released nor should they. I don't think anyone believes that the 290x isn't going to be competitive with the 780, it may even be a few percent faster and I fully expect it to be cheaper than the current 780 so I'm not in denial about anything however you need to keep in mind, AMD is late to the party if they don't exceed 780 performance by 20% or more since Nvidia likely already has a product near ready to release that is even faster. AMD is playing catch-up at this point, not vice versa.

AMD already has a single card (7990) more than 20% faster than a 780 (or Titan), clearly nvidia are the ones playing catch up.

You make a lot of implications and assumptions about things for which you have no facts to back-up.

AMD already has a single card (7990) more than 20% faster than a 780 (or Titan), clearly nvidia are the ones playing catch up.

Are you seriously comparing a dual GPU solution to a single GPU solution right now? Do you think Nvidia gives a rat's ass about the 7990 which has driver issues that cripple the card in many scenarios and games? Do you honestly think if Nvidia thought the 7990 were a real threat to their business they wouldn't have a dual GPU solution on deck to compete with it? Lets not forget that the 690 was well before the 7990, so yea AMD is behind and still playing catch-up, AMD finally released the 7990 after 6-9 months delay only because they had no single GPU to compare to the 780 and Titan.

Sure, but faster than the titan may simply put it on par with many of the top end 780s on the market, such as the HOF or Lightning, both with 1300+mhz clocks.

"Faster" doesn't mean anything concrete.

He said Nvidia "likely" has a product ready for release. Implying probably that with all the time in between releases, they could have concocted something as a suddent response for the new Radeons. Blah, blah, blah. All I know is that more GPU's at competitive performance levels and prices = more choice for me in the end.

I think it would be silly to think Nvidia doesn't have a next gen product practically ready or even a new dual GPU solution designed if they wanted to go that route. It all comes down to what makes financial sense. Its not as if Nvidia doesn't have the ability or resources to do whatever they want, it is and always has been about what makes financial sense at the time.

Are you seriously comparing a dual GPU solution to a single GPU solution right now? Do you think Nvidia gives a rat's ass about the 7990 which has driver issues that cripple the card in many scenarios and games? Do you honestly think if Nvidia thought the 7990 were a real threat to their business they wouldn't have a dual GPU solution on deck to compete with it? Lets not forget that the 690 was well before the 7990, so yea AMD is behind and still playing catch-up.

Doesnt matter if its dual GPU, its still a single card.

I, along with many other thousands of people have no or minimal issues with crossfire.

The 690 is slower than a 7990, again until nvidia has something faster than a 7990 they are technically playing catch up.

We need no more comments from you,

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesnt matter if its dual GPU, its still a single card.

I, along with many other thousands of people have no or minimal issues with crossfire.

The 690 is slower than a 7990, again until nvidia has something faster than a 7990 they are technically playing catch up.

We need no more comments from you, fanboy.

So you've resorted to calling me a fanboy as the only argument you have left. Checkmate.

I think it would be silly to think Nvidia doesn't have a next gen product practically ready or even a new dual GPU solution designed if they wanted to go that route. It all comes down to what makes financial sense. Its not as if Nvidia doesn't have the ability or resources to do whatever they want, it is and always has been about what makes financial sense at the time.

Oh yeah, I'm with you. I'm sure they've got a bit of tricks up their sleeves in the labs. In the end though, it matters not. The market will keep going back and forth. Hardware will keep getting "bigger, faster, stronger." :)

my dads lawnmower is better than your dads. Plus your dad if fat and your mother ugly and i fucked your sister in the ass she liked it

The title of the Kyle's thread is called "AMD sez", he did not imply anything of it being faster, it was amd.

Kyle later posted this in that same thread.
I am simply relating what a trusted source inside AMD communicated to me. This is of course exciting to hear, but as always, we will fully evaluate whatever new technology is at hand in the near future. :)

Dual gpu cards are not comparable to single ones, sorry.

my dads lawnmower is better than your dads. Plus your dad if fat and your mother ugly and i fucked your sister in the ass she liked it

lmao, epic,

in any case, this card is gonna be awesome! AMD is really stepping up lately,

Dual gpu cards are not comparable to single ones, sorry.

Yes they can, since they both serve the same function.

Thats like saying a dual processor system cannot be compared to a single procesor system :rolleyes:

Or wait... thats like saying dual channel memory cannot be compared to single channel memory. :rolleyes:

See how wrong you are?

1. It's crossfired 7970's on one pcb, the other cards are single gpu cards.
2. People like me have no interest in running sli and especially crossfire. Had too jump through many hoops to get some things to work from time to time.
3. Single gpu cards are for the most part trouble free.
4. And you're wrong on the nvidia playing catchup part. AMD till now is releasing their answer to the gtx 780 and titan.

You're other comparisons are laughable and not comparable.

The title of the Kyle's thread is called "AMD sez", he did not imply anything of it being faster, it was amd.

Kyle later posted this in that same thread

you still don't get it...if Kyle has a TRUSTED source within AMD do you think it's just some regular Joe Marketing rep?...key word- trusted...translation- you can bank on it...you don't get the hint of Kyle potentially starting a useless thread titled 'AMD sez' unless there was much more behind it

Everyone would trust Kyle, if he was the one to mention it. AMD on the other hand, it's a show me and then I'll believe your statement type of thing. Does the bulldozer hype, ring a bell?

Most reasonable people, do expect this card to be fantastic. But I would rather wait for official results.

Thats like saying a dual processor system cannot be compared to a single procesor system :rolleyes:

Or wait... thats like saying dual channel memory cannot be compared to single channel memory. :rolleyes:

See how wrong you are?

None of these things are the same. That is a terrible analogy.

The day I purchased a second 6970 was the day I re-sold it, due to microstutter.

You may not notice or have issues, but I - and many, many others - certainly do.

you still don't get it...if Kyle has a TRUSTED source within AMD do you think it's just some regular Joe Marketing rep?...key word- trusted...translation- you can bank on it...you don't get the hint of Kyle potentially starting a useless thread titled 'AMD sez' unless there was much more behind it

Very few people are disputing the idea that the 290X will be faster than the 780 or Titan.... Otherwise it wouldn't make sense to release it this late in the product cycle... What's in dispute, is the performance delta between the Titan (which isn't currently the fastest GPU) and the 290X... A difference of a few percent still makes the phrase "the 290X is faster than the titan" accurate. It does not guarantee it's faster than the highest end 780s, nor a speed increase worthy of upgrade.

Most reasonable people, do expect this card to be fantastic. But I would rather wait for official results.

Agreed. When it comes to video cards I refuse to come to a final decision until I see the reviews from [H]ardOCP, Guru3D, and PCPER.

at $750 I think it might be too expensive. I was looking to sell my gtx780 lightning and wait for the 290x, but cant quite justify the 750 tag

I think the price is with the game .. without will be cheaper.

I don't think AMD was late but just chosse to hold the card till BF 4 as Nvidia released there cards at times frames used by both before as they know what each other is doing at all times. the HD 79XX series helped them make the chioce because it's going be epic with BF 4 also releaseing.

Titan really hurt Nvidia more then AMD as it can't be made and sold like a 460GTX and the bread and butter can't affrod it.

What's in dispute, is the performance delta between the Titan (which isn't currently the fastest GPU) and the 290X... A difference of a few percent still makes the phrase "the 290X is faster than the titan" accurate. It does not guarantee it's faster than the highest end 780s, nor a speed increase worthy of upgrade.

I havn't had time to look at the details in this thread but xtremesystems is a pretty reputable forum...

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1783988

but I agree that if AMD charges $750+ for the 290X they're nuts and would kill a lot of the momentum they have gained...around $550 would be killer

Actually Mr. OP, XS is home to many people inside the oc'ing and/or tech industry with connections. The poster you're saying is an "unknown random people" actually WOULD very likely have access to a card, as he hangs with some of the world's top OC'ers. Better luck next time, I guess? They're called rumors for a reason.

I think the important point is that, new GPU will always be faster than previous GPU. This is the natural progression of computer hardware performance. If you were to draw a graph of performance vs time, the graph will always be increasing. If they all fall on this expected progression, then it creates a strange situation where it's not about who's faster than who. It's about what GPU happens to be the latest.

So, the new AMD GPU will surely be faster than Titan because it came at a later time than Titan. The question for AMD now is how long till their next GPU, because after this, anything nVidia release will be faster than this upcoming AMD GPU.

So the reality is, AMD will be faster than Titan, and is it's late if you compare it to Titan, but too early if you compare it to the next nVidia's GPU family. So it kind of sits in the middle. It will serve anyone who's looking for a graphic card now. But nvidia might go unopposed with their next GPU the way AMD is unopposed right now due to the release time completely out of sync now.

Sure, but faster than the titan may simply put it on par with many of the top end 780s on the market, such as the HOF or Lightning, both with 1300+mhz clocks.

"Faster" doesn't mean anything concrete.

so do you think there won't be any super-clocked versions of the 290X?...base stock is what everyone compares to match apples to apples

GTX 690 trades blows with the 7990, so no, there's no catch-up going on.

And a GTX 780 (or Titan) arguably offers a better experience than Crossfire can currently provide. Single GPU > Multi-GPU from a "shit just works" standpoint.

Kyle also runs a popular website and loves to stir the pot to keep people coming to this website. Agree? I'm not debating whether AMD's new P90x series will be competitive with the 780, I'm 100% certain it will be, I'm simply saying you're reading too much into Kyle's statement and assuming simply because you want it to be that way. Its the natural progression of new generation of cards for one to b faster than the other by a small margin especially when competing products aren't released at the exact same time. AMD knows full well how much performance they need out of their product to match and exceed the 780, even if its only by a small margin, but the point is that they're still playing catch-up to Nvidia. Nvidia has the fastest single GPU card for the last year now, its taken this long just for AMD to catch-up and exceed that performance. Don't believe for a minute that Nvidia has been sitting idle during this time. Nvidia may not want to release a new product yet, it really depends on what AMD is bringing to the table, its all about what makes financial sense, but they can certainly lower prices on the 780 and be very competitive again with AMD's new products which is exactly what will happen. If you're an AMD fan, that's great, you're getting new hardware to play with, but let's not go overboard and pretend this is the death nail for Nvidia. That's absurd.

Last edited:
Kyle also runs a popular website and loves to stir the pot to keep people coming to this website. Agree? I'm not debating whether AMD's new P90x series will be competitive with the 780, I'm 100% certain it will be, I'm simply saying you're reading too much into Kyle's statement and assuming simply because you want it to be that way. Its the natural progression of new generation of cards for one to b faster than the other by a small margin especially when competing products aren't released at the exact same time. AMD knows full well how much performance they need out of their product to match and exceed the 780, even if its only by a small margin, but the point is that they're still playing catch-up to Nvidia. Nvidia has the fastest single GPU card for the last year now, its taken this long just for AMD to catch-up and exceed that performance. Don't believe for a minute that Nvidia has been sitting idle during this time. Nvidia may not want to release a new product yet, it really depends on what AMD is bringing to the table, its all about what makes financial sense, but they can certainly lower prices on the 780 and be very competitive again with AMD's new products which is exactly what will happen. If you're an AMD fan, that's great, you're getting new hardware to play with, but let's not go overboard and pretend this is the death nail for Nvidia. That's absurd.

"Kyle also runs a popular website and loves to stir the pot to keep people coming to this website. Agree?"

I think that statement refers to Charlie from SemiAccurate more then [H]

no one is talking about 'death nails' for Nvidia...this will help consumers most...competition is always a good thing otherwise Nvidia could keep charging $995 type of prices for their top cards...AMD has stepped up big time over the past few months with the Never Settle gaming bundles, the new Hawaii based cards, Mantle API and console domination which could translate to the PC side depending on the right factors

why Nvidia people are so defensive and uptight over AMD making a big push is beyond me...by the way I currently have a GTX 580

A little over 7months is now the same as a year?

You really think it could make financial sense to bring a new ASIC to market to compete against Hawaii? My oh my...

Who says you can't compare the 2 cards? ... You? Are you the one making rules around this place now?
They are fairly different beasts

The multi-GPU card is subject to micro-stutter and scaling issues that could seriously nerf performance and fluidity. Not an issue with single-GPU.

Back