r9-290x Quiet vs Uber

OmgitsSexyChase

Limp Gawd
So I have two r9-290x's both watercooled and stuck in quiet mode, will not being in uber mode hurt my performance?

I really don't want to drain my loop if I don't have to but I will

I don't think so? If it never hits the throttling temp, it shouldn't matter.

No its on quiet and I have a crossfire terminal in so its inaccessible

According to this, the only difference between silent and uber is fan speed. If you're under water and temps aren't an issue, there shouldn't be any difference at all.

"The default setting for all retail R9 290X cards is to run in the "Quiet Mode" BIOS switch position; the other position enables "Uber Mode." The only difference is the fan speed. In Quiet Mode the fan is at a 40% cap that it cannot go over, in Uber Mode it is at 55%."

Seriously?

Toms?

if there is a less legitimate source out there, i dont know what it would be..

The Toms review mentioned that the Uber BIOS has a minor overclock to the GPU, whereas the Quiet BIOS is running at stock.

Seriously?

Toms?

if there is a less legitimate source out there, i dont know what it would be..

You?

Kidding! Why all the hate? They are guilty of the same sin as every other review site I’ve read. The fact that all the sites seem to leave out many known issues with products. The first few pages of any video card review should list all the stuff that the vender touts but still don’t work and all unfixed bugs and how long they have had them. Know and verified and blown up in forums. Sorry, it just gets old. Buying hardware or software and this and that don’t work. Just to be told that it’s your card or you installed it wrong or you need to reinstall the driver/Windows or you are holding it wrong or no one uses that so why do you think it should work or that will work in a few months/years or you need to buy our new product if you want that to work or that only works before/if/when and so on. I don’t game that much anymore but in the last few years it’s like winning the lottery to buy a game and have it just work. Buy it too soon and often lots of bugs, wait too long probably some bugs. Even if you buy it in that sweet spot of it being out for a time and still lots of folks playing it, still maybe some bugs.

You?

Kidding! Why all the hate? They are guilty of the same sin as every other review site I’ve read. The fact that all the sites seem to leave out many known issues with products. The first few pages of any video card review should list all the stuff that the vender touts but still don’t work and all unfixed bugs and how long they have had them. Know and verified and blown up in forums. Sorry, it just gets old. Buying hardware or software and this and that don’t work. Just to be told that it’s your card or you installed it wrong or you need to reinstall the driver/Windows or you are holding it wrong or no one uses that so why do you think it should work or that will work in a few months/years or you need to buy our new product if you want that to work or that only works before/if/when and so on. I don’t game that much anymore but in the last few years it’s like winning the lottery to buy a game and have it just work. Buy it too soon and often lots of bugs, wait too long probably some bugs. Even if you buy it in that sweet spot of it being out for a time and still lots of folks playing it, still maybe some bugs.

Any site that mentions the words EK and Quality in the same sentence deserves to lose all credibility.

Any site that mentions the words EK and Quality in the same sentence deserves to lose all credibility.
I have used multiple EK blocks and never had a problem. Like most things, YMMV, but my newest block was purchased last month and it's a beauty.

So, just curious but why is the switch not accessible? You can't reach it with something really small like an electronics screwdriver or toothpick or whatever?

The card throttles at 95C or as set in the driver software. Fan speed doesn't matter if you are under.

Back