r9 290x issues ~ After monitor turns off vid card will not wake up

I've been experiencing this issue too (using an R9 280). At first, I thought it was random, but I found that I can reliably reproduce this by having Firefox open when the screen goes to sleep. As long as nothing is animating (including blinking cursors!), the card will switch to a low-power state once the screen goes dark; you can confirm this by opening up your case and making sure the fans have stopped. Then, if you move the mouse to wake up the monitor, nothing happens. This made it a lot easier for me to test various driver versions.

Like manilaboy1vic, I found that version 13.12 of the drivers works great. But, even better, version 14.11.2 beta also resolves the issue. This was only just released (on November 17), so it's pretty new, but I've been completely unable to reproduce the issue since installing it.

If anyone is still having this problem, I suggest installing version 14.11.2 of the drivers to see if they work for you. If not, hopefully my explanation of how I was able to reproduce the issue will help you to diagnose the problem on your end.

I've been experiencing this issue too (using an R9 280). At first, I thought it was random, but I found that I can reliably reproduce this by having Firefox open when the screen goes to sleep. As long as nothing is animating (including blinking cursors!), the card will switch to a low-power state once the screen goes dark; you can confirm this by opening up your case and making sure the fans have stopped. Then, if you move the mouse to wake up the monitor, nothing happens. This made it a lot easier for me to test various driver versions.

Like manilaboy1vic, I found that version 13.12 of the drivers works great. But, even better, version 14.11.2 beta also resolves the issue. This was only just released (on November 17), so it's pretty new, but I've been completely unable to reproduce the issue since installing it.

If anyone is still having this problem, I suggest installing version 14.11.2 of the drivers to see if they work for you. If not, hopefully my explanation of how I was able to reproduce the issue will help you to diagnose the problem on your end.

I have the new drivers installed. I'll test it out. See how it goes.

I actually had this same issue but it was related to the 14.9 drivers. Rolled back to 14.4 and it was fine.

Ugh.. so i tried to set windows to turn off monitors after 10m and disabled the sleep mode and now the monitors are not switching off when i hit the win + l, which seems like a win

i knew i should have left it be..

before this issue.. i was anti sleep/standby, now i prefer it.. i think it will help keep the dust from building up so much.. with intake fans off while im away is key..

Ugh.. so i tried to set windows to turn off monitors after 10m and disabled the sleep mode and now the monitors are not switching off when i hit the win + l

I tried locking Windows with Win + L (with the monitors set to turn off after 1 minute), and things work fine here on 14.11.2. It's possible that the lock screen issue is a different problem, or maybe our systems are just different enough that we're seeing different issues.

Necroing this thread because I'm having this issue on my new 290x Lightning. I'm running the latest drivers, and I've tried wiping them and reinstalling twice now. I know it's not any of my other components since the 970s that this card is replacing ran perfectly fine.

Necroing this thread because I'm having this issue on my new 290x Lightning. I'm running the latest drivers, and I've tried wiping them and reinstalling twice now. I know it's not any of my other components since the 970s that this card is replacing ran perfectly fine.

I don't have any issues with the latest drivers with my 290x, but with previous drivers I gave up troubleshooting and just kept MSI Afterburner open on my desktop. I never had any issues waking from sleep with Afterburner up. Kind of annoying but meh.

Try CTRL-Alt-Del and of course Cancel.
I had the same problems in the past. Apart from changing drivers, the above worked.

just an update on my card.. still having the issue.. under windows. under ubuntu.. this cards drivers suck.

i dual boot.. ubuntu and windows 8.1..

when it locks up, i do a hard reset, get a bios screen just fine.. i have video.. then the OS kicks in and blank screen.. doesnt matter if i boot linux or win.. blank screen after post/bios ...

i 1000% regret getting this card.. im looking into nvidia now... i feel robbed.

when my screen does not come back I noticed it is typically flash related... Pressing C+A+D will bring up the lock screen. and then pressing escape gets me the desktop back

UPDATE:

Went to the XFX site to RMA or troubleshoot.. they auto response claims..

if you use 3 monitors, YOU have to use the display port for one of them..

currenlty have the 3rd unplugged.. will see if the cards wakes when i get home.

bullshit, there are 3 TMDS streams.

the 7xxx only had 2 and required an active adapter for the 3rd.

however they may be implying you need to use a passive adapter on DP to access the 3rd.

That would be a pretty wierd design.

bullshit, there are 3 TMDS streams.

the 7xxx only had 2 and required an active adapter for the 3rd.

however they may be implying you need to use a passive adapter on DP to access the 3rd.

That would be a pretty wierd design.

Heres what their site says:

To run 3 monitors 2 different things need to occur, you need to be on Windows Vista, 7, or 8 . And at least 1 of your displays must be connected to a Displayport or Mini Displayport on the card. This can be done through a straight cable, or using an Active Adapter, any adapters that are used must be "Active" .

Examples:

Connection A:
1st.) DVI.
2nd.) DVI.
3rd.) DP / miniDP.
4th.) DP / miniDP.
5th.) DP / miniDP.
6th.) DP / miniDP

Connection B:
1st.) DVI.
2nd.) HDMI.
3rd.) DP / miniDP.
4th.) DP / miniDP.
5th.) DP / miniDP.
6th.) DP / miniDP

Got the new card installed.. monitors wake up everytime now.. had a faulty card... xfx was easy to deal with too.. had low FPS with insurgency on windows.... i believe to be driver related... reinstalled windows fresh copy last night.... will be testing insurgency soon..

TF2 ran fine on ubuntu however...

moral of the thread.. if you leave you pc running all the time and come back and click your mouse and get no video, RMA that thing ....

Last edited:
I am on my 4th RMAed Sapphire 290X all of the previous having the same issues. After hours of being on the phone with tech support the first time they told me it was a bad card and I should RMA. Just recently this 4th one started doing the same thing. Tired of spending money on sending these things back just to get another dud. Might just eat my losses and go with Nvidia from now on.

I am on my 4th RMAed Sapphire 290X all of the previous having the same issues. After hours of being on the phone with tech support the first time they told me it was a bad card and I should RMA. Just recently this 4th one started doing the same thing. Tired of spending money on sending these things back just to get another dud. Might just eat my losses and go with Nvidia from now on.

4 RMAs? Have you tried a fresh copy of windows and the latest drivers??

my replacement seems to be doing fine.. no lock up yet.. (knocking on wood)..

also see no perf. issues with insurgency on my windows box..

its just nice when im come home from work and my monitors come on.. hopefully i wont encounter that again... was so frustrating..

Motherboard bios. I've updated no less than 15 peoples motherboard bios who were having this exact same issue, and it solved the problem for all of them !

4 RMAs? Have you tried a fresh copy of windows and the latest drivers??

Yes, I tried everything with the first 2. Multiple driver reinstalls, windows reinstall, BIOS changes, installed in a totally different hardware setup, etc. Still had the same issues.

Back